My Comparo: Old Taco vs. LC vs. 4Runner

bnapier

So, I have seen many posts asking "which vehicle is for me". I just wanted to add my 2-cents as I have had some experience with some of the older Toyota models. I figured I would give a short review of my vehicles so others can save time and money (plus the hundreds of hours researching these vehicles). These are just my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt.

My goal has been to have an inexpensive, reliable, capable vehicle for back country exploration in Colorado. My overland vehicles are older because I'm not willing scratch and break an expensive vehicle. I'm also under 6-feet tall, so interior height is not an issue. Toyotas hold there value so well, I didn't lose very much money when I sold these vehicles.

My first "overlander" was a 1997 80 Series Land cruiser. I then got a 2004 excab TRD Tacoma and now have a 2000 Limited 4runner (Supercharged!). I have a 2003 100 series Land Cruiser as a daily driver (not modded, although I have taken it offroad).

All had OME lifts, ARB bumpers, winches, factory lockers, sliders, roof racks and slightly larger than stock tires.

I live in Colorado and run "kinda hard" offroad stuff. Devil's Punchbowl near Crested Butte and Wheeler Lake near Breck is about max difficulty. Most of my time is traveling in the Colorado backcountry. I've lived out of my vehicle for more than a week in each of these rigs. I also have young kids that go camping, but do not go into the back country with me. Usually it's just two people!

Here are my thoughts on each vehicle.......

1997 80 Series Land Cruiser:
GOOD:
-Good interior room
-Kinda huge. I've had some trouble on some trails due to size. Literally had damage to vehicle simply because of size
-Front and rear lockers.
-It's nice to be part of a cult
-Built like a tank
-Very comfortable offroad
-Pretty good in snow

BAD
-Expensive parts and repairs. Do not let anyone kid you. This is considered a specialty vehicle and not everyone knows how to work on them. Specialty shops are expensive because they are specialty shops. Tacos and 4runners are so common essentially any shop has experience with them.
-Mods more expensive than similar vintage Tacos and 4runners
-Slow as a fat pig. Seriously slow over the passes in Colorado, no really, like old people with walkers accelerate faster. Occasionally dangerous. I spent many dollars to be sure the engine was working to spec because I couldn't believe how slow it was.
-Crazy low MPG. Like 8-10mpg up the highway passes here (at $4/gallon, that's nearly 50 cents PER MILE in gas alone)
-Needs a bigger gas tank. I know the tank is big, but with such terrible mileage, the range is about the same as the 4runner or Taco

I absolutely could not handle paying crazy dollars for gas and parts while driving so slowly up the highways. I mean, 8-10mpg might be OK if cruising at 75mph up hill. I had to drive strategically due to lack of power. It made no sense to me to pay tons in gas and go slow for the 5 hour drip to Crested Butte just to have marginally better offroad capability than a Taco or 4runner. The poor power was especially annoying with friends that would have to slow down to wait for me. So, I did some research, and bought an extended cab Tacoma because I wanted a 6-foot bed to sleep in and the ability to put my bikes in the vehicle.

My final take on the Land Cruiser: Perfect for transporting terrorists across the desert for 20 years in all conditions. Unacceptably slow and seriously expensive for an American doing moderate offroading and exploring (if only we had the turbodeisel......).

2004 TRD extended cab (1st gen) Tacoma:
GOOD:
-Fit all my stuff with a tall shell over the bed
-Awesome offroad. Small, nimble, went everywhere.
-Good MPG--about 18-20 mpg--that's 80-100% better than the Land Cruiser. It's like gas is half-price!!

BAD:
-Damn expensive for an old 2-door truck
-Can't fit 4 people.
-Very basic interior
-Still kinda slow up the highway passes, but felt like a rocket ship compared to the Land Cruiser.
-Can't drive fast in 4-wheel drive due to lack of center differential. Not good in snow even with weight in the back. Land Cruiser and 4runner much better in snow.
-I still want this vehicle (and to be 5 years younger with no kids).

I loved the Tacoma, but needed four seats. I wanted to get a 4-door Taco, but prices are insane here in Colorado. 13-year-old examples with 200K on the clock go for >$10-12K around here. Plus you can't sleep in the back. I found 3rd gen 4runners were about half the price and could fit 4 people with seats up and could sleep (and fit mountain bikes) inside with seats down. Did research and wanted the multimode transfer case, rear diff locker, and supercharger. Found one with decent miles for about half the price of a comparable (non-supercharged) 4-door taco.

My Final Take on the Taco: Great vehicle. 4-door model with supercharger would be awesome but seriously expensive relative to the other vehicles here.

2000 Limited (3rd gen) 4Runner Supercharged!:
GOOD:
-Cheap......for a Toyota
-Great offroad. Small, nimble. Arguably better than the Taco. At the extremes, likely not as good as the Land Cruiser, but I rarely, if ever "get Xtreme" (insert monster truck voice here).
-Climbs the passes no problem at speed. No annoying downshifting
-Quieter and more comfortable than the Taco. Better interior too.
-OK MPG. I get about 16-19mpg depending on conditions.
-Fits four people no problem.
-Multi-mode transfer case. In winter, I just put it in four wheel drive and go wherever and lock the center diff if I need it.

BAD:
-Smaller interior when compared to the Land Cruiser. I put a roof top tent on and have no problem fitting everything two people need for a week in the back country.
-Small gas tank although not much worse than the Land Cruiser (due to such poor MPG) Do not use the gas gauge at all, at any time, for any reason. Light comes on and its only 2/3 empty. Known problem on these vehicles.

I've had this vehicle for awhile. There are other vehicles that are better, but you will pay serious dollars for it. I would love to have a 4th gen Trail Edition, 5th Gen Trail Edition, or any 4-door Taco but these vehicles are literally 3-5 times the price.

My Final Take on the 4runner: Great combination of size, mpg, and ability for a (relatively) cheap price. My vehicle for the next 5-years.

Finally, I wanted to review my 100-Series Land Cruiser

2003 100-Series Land Cruiser:
Good:
-Big on the inside
-Very comfortable ride. This really is a luxury vehicle. The 4runner feels like a mildly nicer Taco
-Built like a tank
-Allegedly very capable offroad. I take mine only on easier stuff, but I've seen them do amazing things.

Bad:
-This thing looks gigantic and feels gigantic compared to Taco/4runner--never a good thing on tight trails and tight switchbacks. By far the biggest downside. I can only guess the damage on some trails.
-Poor mpg. I'm getting about 10-13 mpg in the mountains. People say "not much worse than the 4runner." At about 30% less mpg you are talking about ~$1.25/gallon more expensive (at $4/gallon) to run the Land Cruiser!
-Still sluggish up the hills, but a faster slug. Better than the Taco.
-Expensive. I'm not willing to trash this thing offroad. It's just too nice!
-Just like the 80 series---expensive parts and maintenance.
-Mods more expensive than similarly old Tacos/4runners.

My Final Take on the 100-Series Land Cruiser:
I really like this vehicle, but cannot justify the expense when I'm gonna trash it. It also feels really huge and imagine that I would scratch the heck out of this thing on the tight trails. I pinstripe my 4runner and can imagine how this would trash the LC.

So, for me a 3rd gen 4runner is the perfect combination of speed, fuel efficiency, and capability at a cheap price!

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
13-year-old examples with 200K on the clock go for >$10-12K around here.

This I will never understand. Otherwise great review. The Tacoma thing though, that is everywhere I have ever been. Hell at this rate, If Toyota ever discontinued the Tacoma, we could see some 1st gens rolling across the block at Barrett-Jackson for almost 100k :Wow1: Just kidding, but it's crazy how much some people want for them. I would love a double cab also but believe my next vehicle will be a 4runner when we start having more kids. Do you have the Trd supercharger on your 3rd Gen?

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
I also came from a 3rd Gen 4Runner, some earlier pre-Tacoma pickups, and a 97' LX450. You hit the hammer on the head with your review. I loved my LX but it was just so expensive to run/maintain and still SO gutless. 4Runner feels like a racecar in comparison. Now building a 1st Gen Tundra for the 2UZ on a lighter chassis than a LX470/100 series, time will tell how the truck compares to my others....

Great review, thanks for sharing.

This I will never understand. Otherwise great review. The Tacoma thing though, that is everywhere I have ever been. Hell at this rate, If Toyota ever discontinued the Tacoma, we could see some 1st gens rolling across the block at Barrett-Jackson for almost 100k :Wow1: Just kidding, but it's crazy how much some people want for them. I would love a double cab also but believe my next vehicle will be a 4runner when we start having more kids. Do you have the Trd supercharger on your 3rd Gen?

I ran across a 2007 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4 one day at a used car lot with $14,900 stickered across the windshield. I didn't have time to stop, but the next day I went to just buy it, it was so cheap. The new sticker on the window read $22,900. I asked the dealer ****** and he said the phone rang off the hook so they upped the price. This was last year.

The second gen Tacoma is my favorite modern Toyota by far. They feel solid, like a truck should. The 6 speed manual is nice to drive and the 4.0L V6 makes V8 horsepower and torque.

Funny, though I've built a few I still don't own one ...

Adventurous

Explorer
I ran across a 2007 Double Cab Tacoma 4x4 one day at a used car lot with $14,900 stickered across the windshield. I didn't have time to stop, but the next day I went to just buy it, it was so cheap. The new sticker on the window read $22,900. I asked the dealer ****** and he said the phone rang off the hook so they upped the price. This was last year.

The second gen Tacoma is my favorite modern Toyota by far. They feel solid, like a truck should. The 6 speed manual is nice to drive and the 4.0L V6 makes V8 horsepower and torque.

Earlier this year I paid ~20K for a 2007 double cab TRD Off-Road with 93K on the clock. After that got totaled it made no sense to me to by one that was 2-3 years old with 50K on them for literally 3K less than I could buy a brand new one for. I just don't get it.

Danimal

Adventurer
I bought a 2011 double cab TRD Off-Road new off the lot. Sold it back to Toyota a year later (moved, didn't need it anymore) with 11,000 miles for about $1800 less than I paid. Unreal.

Dan

tacoma_AL

Adventurer

See that's what I'm talking about, what is it that makes the Tacoma soooo desirable? I know they're a great truck, and I love mine despite how the local dealership has screwed it up. I test drove a newer one, an 06 I believe DblCab with the 6spd 4.0 and fell in love with it but couldn't get over the sticker shock of a 105k mile eight year old truck. My wife tells me to keep holding out for one and I'll eventually find one, but with better deals with half the miles popping up for 4runners all the time I'm tempted to stop searching. Sorry for derailing the topic, I'm done, Hudsen

macgyver_ga

Adventurer

When I bought my Tundra last year, I got $17k on trade for my '07 DC SB SR5 6spd 4x4 w/ 127k miles. I paid $20k for it 4 years prior in '09 w/ 42k miles on it (bought it from a home builder who's business was slow and he needed to get out from under it). The dealer put it on the lot the next day for $22,900 and sold it in less than a week. He said they can't keep them on the lot, especially the 4x4's around here since 90% of the tacos around here are pre-runners.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Re: The difference between Tacoma and 4runner prices:

My theory on the discrepancy between 4runner and Tacoma of similar years and similar equipment levels is this:
They appeal to different segments of the market.
As far as potential buyers are concerned the Tacoma is absolutely, literally, the ONLY vehicle in its class. They are not interested in the only other vehicles in this class (compact 4x4 pickups), the Nissan Frontier and the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. They are not interested in full size trucks. They want a Tacoma and a Tacoma is ALL they want. So that right there means that demand will drive up the price.
This is in contrast with the 4runner, which is often cross-shopped with other vehicles, not just body-on-frame SUVs like the X-terra, R-50 Pathfinder, Wrangler, Tahoe and Expedition and unibody SUVs like the Grand Cherokee and Durango, but bigger crossovers like the Highlander, Murano, Rav-4, Explorer, etc. All that competition drives the demand down on 4runners (even though compared to those other vehicles, 4runners are more expensive, they're just not crazy expensive like Tacos are.)
Another factor IMO is the "prestige" factor. Let's face it, most SUVs are grocery getters and soccer-mom-mobiles (yes, even Land Cruisers.) As such, people often buy them for the perceived prestige of having the "newest and best." When they are no longer "new" they lose a lot of their appeal to the soccer-mom market.
By contrast, people who buy Tacomas don't necessarily care if they have the newest one. And particularly in the case of the 1st gen double cabs which were made in relatively small numbers and only for 4 years (01-04) they have acquired a "cachet" that makes them very desirable, despite their age.
The ironic thing about all this, to me at least, is that in my (admittedly biased) opinion, with the exception of not having a cargo bed, the 4runner is a superior vehicle in most respects, and yet you can get a comparable 4runner for considerably less than a Taco of the same year/mileage. A 4runner generally has a better equipped, more comfortable interior, a more sophisticated suspension (4 link vs. leaf spring), and in the case of the later 3rd gen and all of the 4th gen 4runners, a more sophisticated 4wd system (multi mode vs the Taco's conventional 4wd.) Features like AC and power windows were often options on Tacomas and are standard on most 4runners. Having owned both a 1st gen (2004) Taco and a 3rd gen (1999) 4runner, I can tell you the seat in the Taco was atrocious compared to the much more comfortable seats in the 4runner.
I think the money people pay for Tacomas is crazy but I guess if it's what they want, it's what they want.

Subspd

Adventurer
I have owned or do own all your options except my brother had a 3rd gen 4Runner and I have a 4th gen.

Hands down the way to go would be the 4th gen 4Runner v6. While my 80 was my favorite, it was not a great daily driver and they areold now and will need work. The 100 took us all over the south west and MX. Extremely capable and refined. Dead reliable. But gas killed me. Never got better than 14mpg. (Same as the 80)

The v6 4Runner is the perfect compromise. I get 19mpg all day. Has all the power you need has the same great reliability. Only bummer to me is that headroom ain't great and it doesn't look like an 80 or 100 series LC.
Tacoma are amazing but simply over priced used.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I really appreciate the time you took to write up your review. Back in 2005 I got tired of the wheelbase of my 1994 Toyota Xtra Cab V6 pickup holding me back and I went on the hunt for "the one" vehicle that could handle daily driving, wheeling and my outdoor lifestyle in general. At the time the Land Cruisers were the thing to have. I was looking at both 80 and 100 series (the 100 series were way more money than I wanted to spend, but I still considered it), and both were just so expensive and bigger than I wanted, so I started looking at everything else. In the end I found a manual transmission 3rd gen 4Runner with the factory locking diff and figured it would be a good compromise. That was almost 9 years ago and I have never regretted that decision one bit. I never got the "mod bug,"--I did the things I thought it needed like a small lift, better tires, rock sliders and more lighting and it has taken me everywhere I have ever wanted to go without any hint of trouble. Two years ago I decided to throw money at it and get the supercharger. People ask why I want to go fast in an SUV, and it's hard to explain to people it has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with having the ability to climb an 8,500 ft elevation pass while loaded and be able to not only hold my speed but actually accelerate up hill in 5th gear. Oh, and still get around 20 mpg.

I have purchased two brand new cars in the past two years, but my "old" 2000 4Runner will never leave my possession. It's just a great all-around vehicle to own, not to mention tough as nails.

The Tacoma vs 4Runner debate is simple for me. Regardless of whether or not it's an SUV or a pickup, the Tacoma is more widely available without all the gizmos that complicate things. ABS, ATRAC are a couple examples, but also, the interiors on the Tacoma, with knobs for heater controls and a simple flat dash that isn't crowded with a million electronic devices help keep it simple. Of course, I am looking at it from a builder's perspective since that is my profession. The Tacoma has less to deal with or overcome when modifying it.

The FJ80 thing I don't get. I love the thought of owning one, but I just can't find a place in my lineup that requires one. I looked at one a couple years ago, bent on buying it, and I got in it expecting it to feel like a truck and it didn't. The driving position felt more like a car with the dash position and the center console up really high in the floor making a clear barrier between me and the passenger. No bench seat there. But you know what really made up my mind? There was one cupholder in the whole damn truck!!! That I cannot abide.

When shopping for a vehicle that I don't need, I have a test. Can it tow? Well the FJ80 would not be a good tow vehicle in my opinion. The same money spent on a ten year newer Tahoe nets you 5 more cupholders, 100 more HP and the same, if not better, mileage. And I'd still have money left over to go buy a nice bottle of Bourbon.

I would rather have a Range Rover Classic.

AxleIke

Adventurer
Very good thread!!!

Love the reviews. The Taco thing is funny. Its been that way for as long as I can remember. My folks have an 04 extended cab. At the time, they bought it brand new because a used one with low mileage was only a couple of grand cheaper (not exaggerating, going rate was around 2k cheaper than new). Plus, you got that great feeling of owning a new car and being the one to put the miles on it.

I did have one question: what are you referring to with the multi-mode transfer cases vs the manuals with regards to going fast? I have a manual J-shift case in my 99 4runner (chain drive), and routinely do 55-65 mph in 4wd. I also did the same in my old 87 with a stock tcase, a 4.7 tcase, and duals (all gear drive). I had never heard of a speed issue with the multimode vs the manuals.

Clutch

<---Pass
As far as potential buyers are concerned the Tacoma is absolutely, literally, the ONLY vehicle in its class. They are not interested in the only other vehicles in this class (compact 4x4 pickups), the Nissan Frontier and the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. They are not interested in full size trucks. They want a Tacoma and a Tacoma is ALL they want. So that right there means that demand will drive up the price.

Think that is going to change...

10614174_10152812695553150_8982932944895905749_n.jpg

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
:Wow1: If that does make it to America, with a 2.8 Duramax, that would be interesting, pending a price point. Possibly making Toyota offer a diesel Tacoma option for the north america group - hopefully

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior