My Comparo: Old Taco vs. LC vs. 4Runner

bnapier

So, I have seen many posts asking "which vehicle is for me". I just wanted to add my 2-cents as I have had some experience with some of the older Toyota models. I figured I would give a short review of my vehicles so others can save time and money (plus the hundreds of hours researching these vehicles). These are just my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt.

My goal has been to have an inexpensive, reliable, capable vehicle for back country exploration in Colorado. My overland vehicles are older because I'm not willing scratch and break an expensive vehicle. I'm also under 6-feet tall, so interior height is not an issue. Toyotas hold there value so well, I didn't lose very much money when I sold these vehicles.

My first "overlander" was a 1997 80 Series Land cruiser. I then got a 2004 excab TRD Tacoma and now have a 2000 Limited 4runner (Supercharged!). I have a 2003 100 series Land Cruiser as a daily driver (not modded, although I have taken it offroad).

All had OME lifts, ARB bumpers, winches, factory lockers, sliders, roof racks and slightly larger than stock tires.

I live in Colorado and run "kinda hard" offroad stuff. Devil's Punchbowl near Crested Butte and Wheeler Lake near Breck is about max difficulty. Most of my time is traveling in the Colorado backcountry. I've lived out of my vehicle for more than a week in each of these rigs. I also have young kids that go camping, but do not go into the back country with me. Usually it's just two people!

Here are my thoughts on each vehicle.......

1997 80 Series Land Cruiser:
GOOD:
-Good interior room
-Kinda huge. I've had some trouble on some trails due to size. Literally had damage to vehicle simply because of size
-Front and rear lockers.
-It's nice to be part of a cult
-Built like a tank
-Very comfortable offroad
-Pretty good in snow

BAD
-Expensive parts and repairs. Do not let anyone kid you. This is considered a specialty vehicle and not everyone knows how to work on them. Specialty shops are expensive because they are specialty shops. Tacos and 4runners are so common essentially any shop has experience with them.
-Mods more expensive than similar vintage Tacos and 4runners
-Slow as a fat pig. Seriously slow over the passes in Colorado, no really, like old people with walkers accelerate faster. Occasionally dangerous. I spent many dollars to be sure the engine was working to spec because I couldn't believe how slow it was.
-Crazy low MPG. Like 8-10mpg up the highway passes here (at $4/gallon, that's nearly 50 cents PER MILE in gas alone)
-Needs a bigger gas tank. I know the tank is big, but with such terrible mileage, the range is about the same as the 4runner or Taco

I absolutely could not handle paying crazy dollars for gas and parts while driving so slowly up the highways. I mean, 8-10mpg might be OK if cruising at 75mph up hill. I had to drive strategically due to lack of power. It made no sense to me to pay tons in gas and go slow for the 5 hour drip to Crested Butte just to have marginally better offroad capability than a Taco or 4runner. The poor power was especially annoying with friends that would have to slow down to wait for me. So, I did some research, and bought an extended cab Tacoma because I wanted a 6-foot bed to sleep in and the ability to put my bikes in the vehicle.

My final take on the Land Cruiser: Perfect for transporting terrorists across the desert for 20 years in all conditions. Unacceptably slow and seriously expensive for an American doing moderate offroading and exploring (if only we had the turbodeisel......).

2004 TRD extended cab (1st gen) Tacoma:

GOOD:
-Fit all my stuff with a tall shell over the bed
-Awesome offroad. Small, nimble, went everywhere.
-Good MPG--about 18-20 mpg--that's 80-100% better than the Land Cruiser. It's like gas is half-price!!

BAD:
-Damn expensive for an old 2-door truck
-Can't fit 4 people.
-Very basic interior
-Still kinda slow up the highway passes, but felt like a rocket ship compared to the Land Cruiser.
-Can't drive fast in 4-wheel drive due to lack of center differential. Not good in snow even with weight in the back. Land Cruiser and 4runner much better in snow.
-I still want this vehicle (and to be 5 years younger with no kids).

I loved the Tacoma, but needed four seats. I wanted to get a 4-door Taco, but prices are insane here in Colorado. 13-year-old examples with 200K on the clock go for >$10-12K around here. Plus you can't sleep in the back. I found 3rd gen 4runners were about half the price and could fit 4 people with seats up and could sleep (and fit mountain bikes) inside with seats down. Did research and wanted the multimode transfer case, rear diff locker, and supercharger. Found one with decent miles for about half the price of a comparable (non-supercharged) 4-door taco.

My Final Take on the Taco: Great vehicle. 4-door model with supercharger would be awesome but seriously expensive relative to the other vehicles here.

2000 Limited (3rd gen) 4Runner Supercharged!:
GOOD:
-Cheap......for a Toyota
-Great offroad. Small, nimble. Arguably better than the Taco. At the extremes, likely not as good as the Land Cruiser, but I rarely, if ever "get Xtreme" (insert monster truck voice here).
-Climbs the passes no problem at speed. No annoying downshifting
-Quieter and more comfortable than the Taco. Better interior too.
-OK MPG. I get about 16-19mpg depending on conditions.
-Fits four people no problem.
-Multi-mode transfer case. In winter, I just put it in four wheel drive and go wherever and lock the center diff if I need it.

BAD:
-Smaller interior when compared to the Land Cruiser. I put a roof top tent on and have no problem fitting everything two people need for a week in the back country.
-Small gas tank although not much worse than the Land Cruiser (due to such poor MPG) Do not use the gas gauge at all, at any time, for any reason. Light comes on and its only 2/3 empty. Known problem on these vehicles.

I've had this vehicle for awhile. There are other vehicles that are better, but you will pay serious dollars for it. I would love to have a 4th gen Trail Edition, 5th Gen Trail Edition, or any 4-door Taco but these vehicles are literally 3-5 times the price.

My Final Take on the 4runner: Great combination of size, mpg, and ability for a (relatively) cheap price. My vehicle for the next 5-years.

Finally, I wanted to review my 100-Series Land Cruiser

2003 100-Series Land Cruiser:

Good:
-Big on the inside
-Very comfortable ride. This really is a luxury vehicle. The 4runner feels like a mildly nicer Taco
-Built like a tank
-Allegedly very capable offroad. I take mine only on easier stuff, but I've seen them do amazing things.

Bad:
-This thing looks gigantic and feels gigantic compared to Taco/4runner--never a good thing on tight trails and tight switchbacks. By far the biggest downside. I can only guess the damage on some trails.
-Poor mpg. I'm getting about 10-13 mpg in the mountains. People say "not much worse than the 4runner." At about 30% less mpg you are talking about ~$1.25/gallon more expensive (at $4/gallon) to run the Land Cruiser!
-Still sluggish up the hills, but a faster slug. Better than the Taco.
-Expensive. I'm not willing to trash this thing offroad. It's just too nice!
-Just like the 80 series---expensive parts and maintenance.
-Mods more expensive than similarly old Tacos/4runners.

My Final Take on the 100-Series Land Cruiser:
I really like this vehicle, but cannot justify the expense when I'm gonna trash it. It also feels really huge and imagine that I would scratch the heck out of this thing on the tight trails. I pinstripe my 4runner and can imagine how this would trash the LC.

So, for me a 3rd gen 4runner is the perfect combination of speed, fuel efficiency, and capability at a cheap price!

grampswrx

Observer
Thanks for the feedback! I love my supercharged 3rd gen. Its the right size, the fuel economy is about as good as its going to get in an off road vehicle and mine doesnt rattle at all for being 16 years old!

TXLX

Observer
For a healthy mix of driving, the 100 gets it done for me, plus it's very comfortable on long trips. Except for the gas mileage/small gas tank. Getting 250 miles per tank when loaded down is terrible. Needs a 40 gallon gas tank. It's a vehicle that really needs a diesel engine to maximize range with the amount of weight you can end up with. In the end, gas is just another expense for having fun. I'm not going to give up all the benefits of a 100 to save $20-$30 a day when I'm having fun.

Tacos are awesome, except for the amount of money they cost used. For $12k, I'll go with a 100 over a taco with same miles, less features.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
For a healthy mix of driving, the 100 gets it done for me, plus it's very comfortable on long trips. Except for the gas mileage/small gas tank. Getting 250 miles per tank when loaded down is terrible. Needs a 40 gallon gas tank. It's a vehicle that really needs a diesel engine to maximize range with the amount of weight you can end up with. In the end, gas is just another expense for having fun. I'm not going to give up all the benefits of a 100 to save $20-$30 a day when I'm having fun.

Tacos are awesome, except for the amount of money they cost used. For $12k, I'll go with a 100 over a taco with same miles, less features.

You nailed it my friend. I've owned all the same vehicles as the OP, albeit a '96 FZJ80, a 2001 Taco 4dr, and my current '99 UZJ100.
I've never owned a 4runner, and to be honest, if I'm going to own a SUV, it's going to be a Land Cruiser. That said, the OPs write up is very detailed and may very well mesh with the needs/wants of many.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Good break down. I have had an 03 Taco built up a lot. S/C, 7th injector, ect ect ect. I drove it 25,000 miles through Latin America on two trips.

Right now I drive a 91 Cruiser that is built up a lot.

I liked the Taco, it was pretty darn reliable. But way to small and way to low of a GVW. I was at 5-6,000lbs in my Taco for the trips south and it was just to much for a truck that light duty. I kept going through brake pads, fast, even with the Tundra front brake upgrade. The trans also felt way to light duty for this much weight. I didn't find it all the impressive off-road, did ok for being long and only having a rear locker. But articulation wasn't very good. The main issue I had with the Taco was it was small and uncomfortable. The uncomfortable was made me get rid of it. Thin seats that by 125,000 miles were compressed. Low seating position that hurt my legs and butt. After my last drive home from Panama in 9 days, I decided I had enough of the Taco.

I went to an 84 FJ60 Cruiser with a sweet v8 but that was short lived.

Then a year ago I got my now current 91 Cruiser with a v8 in it. It also has a Chevy 4L60e trans and the FJ60 split case. In addition it has the FZJ locked axles. I absolutely love it! Plenty of room, way comfy (new $500 seats helps!), done everything I have asked it off road, fairly easy to work on and has plenty of power. I have room to store my gear and sleep inside it. The seating position is perfect and comfortable on long hauls. The v8 pulls the over 5,000lbs up mnt passes easily. The FJ60 split case work flawless and shifts in and out of 4wd quick and easy at all speeds. It gets kind of crappy mpg but I can deal with it. And heck I am only 1-3mpg less than I got in my taco. My Taco got awful mileage due to the engine mods and weight of the truck. In the future though I can easily upgrade to a better v8, right now my Cruiser has a 5.7L vortec from a 97 Chevy. With a 5.3L I could see 5+mpg better.

Having had two v8 Cruisers now, that is it for me. I am sold for life. These trucks should have come with a v8. Once you go v8 you never go back! :)

Cheers

Arktikos

Explorer
My goal has been to have an inexpensive, reliable, capable vehicle for back country exploration in Colorado...

First qualifier precludes any Land Cruiser ever made, or any kind of relatively new Toyota. Good choice with the older 4Runner.:)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
How modified was your 80? I got 13-15mpg with 33" tires with my 1995. I wouldn't call an 80 quick, but I never considered it under powered - could pass when needed on the highway. Of course, we don't have 10,000 foot passes in Virginia.

I replaced it with a 2005 Lexus GX470 (essentially a v8 4Runner). I had wanted a 100 series, but just couldn't find one within my time constraints and the GX was quite a bit cheaper. But it is clear the GX is not as overbuilt as a LC and it has a fair bit less cargo room than my 80. I do wish I could have found a 100 series, but after owning the GX, I also think the 05+ vvti engine is worth it. But an 05+ LC probably would have cost at least $6K more. In hindsight, it probably would have been worth it for my uses.

bnapier

My 80 Series had same sized tires, bumper, winch, sliders, rear bumper, and a big roof rack. Remember those MPG numbers refer to climbing the mountain passes here in Colorado.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
100% stock 100,000 miles lady owned all dealer records my 93 with 4spd at got 14mpg with a tail wind down hill. 285/75 15 BFGs and stock it got 12-13mpg with a tail wind. Towing the 1800lb racing sailboat we got 12mpg.
The 2.5L Subaru towing the boat returned 16mpg at 70mph with a head wind. But lacked the cooling for hot climbs. Flat land trips we took the subaru, hot mountain lake trips we took the LC.

Upland80

Adventurer
Ugh! As you know a Taco or 4-Runner do not compare in any way to the Mighty Land Cruiser! The 80 series specifically is one of, if not the best overland vehicle ever produced...period! Last of the big reliable and definitely thirsty straight 6, solid axles with full float rear, selectable lockers, coil sprung, and built like a friggin Sherman TANK! Yes..it's as slow as my Prius...actually my 80 is a bit faster, it is a fuel pig...no lies there, but if you absolutely have to invade Poland there is no other choice!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The 80 series specifically is one of, if not the best overland vehicle ever produced...period! If you absolutely have to invade Poland there is no other choice!

Somebody should have told the Austrian Corporal that! Or not...

bnapier

Ugh! As you know a Taco or 4-Runner do not compare in any way to the Mighty Land Cruiser! The 80 series specifically is one of, if not the best overland vehicle ever produced...period! Last of the big reliable and definitely thirsty straight 6, solid axles with full float rear, selectable lockers, coil sprung, and built like a friggin Sherman TANK! Yes..it's as slow as my Prius...actually my 80 is a bit faster, it is a fuel pig...no lies there, but if you absolutely have to invade Poland there is no other choice!

I think that the Taco and 4runner are totally comparable as a domestic adventurer! There is absolutely no doubt in my mind the LC is a tougher vehicle....I will regret selling mine during the zombie apocalypse.

I agree that the Mighty Land Cruiser is far superior if.....

you are in Africa.....
carrying a ton of stuff.....
going 35mph.....
with the turbodiesel....

Also: Hmmmm, invading Poland, had to go there didn't ya......I'm Polish BTW, does that increase or decrease my rep as a reviewer??:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior