GPS or Tablet

Darwin

Explorer
Is there any difference between using a tablet and GPS for on road travel outside the usa, for example central america? I am a super newbie about a lot of this, I just recently purchased my first 'smartphone' a sony xperia z3 compact. The first thing I did is download nokia Here maps, with offline navigation. It works well in the USA so far, but I would hate to be in central america and realize I should have purchased a gps like Garmin Nuvi. I really love using the phone, it's amazing I went this long without owning one! No more calling friends and asking them if they are in front of a computer at the moment and can look up an address for me.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
The main reason I wanted a tablet over a phone or dedicated unit was the screen size. I hate having to glace down at a tiny screen and not being able to see an actual map because its zoomed in all the way on my position. Plus, I can barely read the street directions. I don't like having the voice directions on, as its distracting IMO.

The only foreseeable problem I think would depend on if your phone has true GPS or uses cell tower triangulation. True GPS works off the GPS satellites in orbit, while cell tower triangulation relies on the cell tower system to triangulate your position. Cell towers work fine for most people if you're not going too far from civilization. But if you go someplace with little to no cell reception, its no good. Also, downloaded maps have a tendency to eat up memory like crazy so I hope you have a high capacity memory card plugged into your phone.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
So Pugslyyy, does the Ipad update your location without cell service?

Yes, you don't need the cell service for the GPS to work. It's just that the WIFI only models do not have the GPS chipset built in but the 3G ones do.

robgendreau

Explorer
Careful about the Apple advice. Apple's mobile products only have true GPS (i.e. a built-in receiver) in their products that also have cellular service. The cell service and GPS are separate things, but for some reason Apple doesn't make a wifi only tablet or phone with GPS built in. Samsung does in their Tab Pros. So do other tablet and phone manufacturers. And Apple has a more limited range of Bluetooth GPS receivers that will work with iPhones or iPads. Make sure you get one certified to work with an iOS device if you go that route.

stxSteve

@robigendreau - That's way I use a standalone GPS receiver (The Dual). First I CAN use it with my wifi only iPad (less expensive) and secondly, the Dual is far superior to ANY tablet or phone (whatever make) that tries to use a built in GPS chip. Other reasons to use the Dual (or similar device) paired to a tablet (any make) is that you can place the Dual GPS where it can get a good look at the satellites, then mount your tablet wherever you want. Oh, and for us old folks - the bigger iPad screen sure is nice!

stxSteve

Bottom line - I don't care what kind of tablet or phone the OP has (or will have) a standalone GPS receiver will ALWAYS provide more accurate position information that a chip in a tablet or phone. Obviously their are lots of device choices available, find what works for you and travel happy. Just remember you do NOT need a cellular equipped device to use a GPS nav app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles