Looking for a good Parka

digitaldelay

Explorer
My Expedition Parka is a L and it is quite roomy to accommodate extra layers (which you will NOT need). I am 6'3', 190, long arms.

I would caution against getting anything white. They look cool (especially on ladies, actually) but they won't stay white for long. You can't just throw these suckers in the washer, either.

IMO, don't spend more than $400 or so on a non-CG parka. If you can swing it, you won't regret a CG. My only regret is that the Expedition is a little much for everyday urban wear. I also have the Tundra Pants which I have found the need to wear exactly once, haha.

Jason

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Thanks digitaldelay.

I forgot to mention that I'm a fashion/beauty photographer so sometimes my fashion senses come out and that is why I was thinking white.

TripLeader

Explorer
I've got an Eddie Bauer down parka. It's several years old, but a model similar to the Kara Koram style on the link. It's very warm. It's doesn't have a waterproof coating on it. I've used it camping (lightly) and it has a small stain or two, otherwise very good.
-
I bought it on sale (off-season) at an EB store in a local mall. I might have paid $80 for it, but I think it was less. EB has the best local sales around. When they want something gone, they price it to sell.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I bought my CG Expedition parka in Yellowknife in 1996. I used it to walk to work all winter. Mine has a heater and everything. I love the jacket, its the warmest thing I have ever put on. One thing tho, is that after 6-8 hrs with it on your body starts to ache with the weight of the jacket. This is just standing around in the hockey stadium tho. Maybe it would not be like that when moving all the time. I have walked to work with -53 deg on the bank sign in my tower. I was toasty warm and enjoying he morning.

mandingo

Observer
which one did you get? I tried on a M once from CG and it was too tight to zip up. The Expedition Parka fit well in a L. I'll have to try those again, I want a white one but none of the stores here have them in White so I would have to order from moosejaw.
Only issue is that it's still out of my price range for now and not sure if I'll be able to get one come December or January.

I have the Expedition Parka. http://www.canada-goose.com/expedition-parka-4565M.html#start=1

Tried it on at a store called Bivouac in Ann Arbor MI. https://www.bivouacannarbor.com/

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
We have a store that has the expedition parka here as well.

The good news is I may actually be able to get the CG parka. I might be offered a job on Monday for a huge fashion online e-comm company as one of their photographers, and they get discounts of 30% first year, 50% the second year on all clothing and they sell CG (only 3 parkas though). Might be able to get a black Expedition for 422.50 after a year there. So my plan is to get the Eddie Bauer jacket for now. Granted, job is not final, but I have confidence I will get it.

Airspeed

I live in Northern Alberta and love my Canada Goose. I only have the vest but I find that it's warm enough for me all year. On the cold -30 to -40 weeks, I just throw it on top of my old North Face ski jacket.

digitaldelay

Explorer
I live in Northern Alberta and love my Canada Goose. I only have the vest but I find that it's warm enough for me all year. On the cold -30 to -40 weeks, I just throw it on top of my old North Face ski jacket.

The Freestyle Vest is crazy warm. I don't like wearing mine without a collared shirt underneath because it has a nylon lining to it that gets the back of my neck all sweaty. The new version has a microfleece facing that would be nice.

Jason

kojackJKU

I am looking at the bomber Canada goose. Since I have the huge massive parka with heaters etc in it, I want something smaller that I can enter and exit my rigs easily but still be warm doing it. I think im going to grab one right after Christmas.

lysol

Explorer

kojackJKU

Well, since my son works at sportchek and gets crazy discounts, I picked up a Columbia down/omni heat waterproof parka with fur lined hood. Was 299 got it for 80 tax in. Can't wait to get it out in the cold to try.

Lucky j

Explorer
An other canadian company that as been making very good winter parka for 25 + years is Kanuk. It is Montreal base. They make extremely good quality product. And with all the french canadian living in the new york ny area, they have to be available.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94