Seattle to the Darien Gap in a sub $5,000 Toyota - What would you buy?

theside00

Adventurer
I would go for a FZJ80 (93-97) for that trip. I would stay away from the Gen 2 3.0 4Runner, also would stay away from the rav4. They have tranny issues and ECU issues.

A FJ60 could be considered also, 4 speed manual with an engine that can take a ton of abuse. We have had one here in the shop were the cam shaft was in three pieces and it was still running all right.

Danimal

Adventurer
FZJ80 is too expensive for your budget with respect to buy-in and maintenance, based on my ownership of one. Of the Toyotas I've owned, I'd say the 3rd gen 4Runner is the best all around vehicle, with a huge bang for the buck off the bat, little work/maintenance required, and cheap parts that are readily available.

Dan

daveyboy

Adventurer
Its been a loooooonng time since I lived in Panama. But IIRC, the average taxi was a beat to hell Corolla with 4 mismatched tires (and I mean size) with Xmas lights, a color-tinted windshield, and smelled like vomit.

So I wouldn't cross a Corolla off your list! :sombrero:

Mike368

I'd say this.

After a good detail.

1986 22r longbox Which I paid $925. I detailed it then took it on a 2000+ mile road trip. After Putting 10K on it the bearings started rattling so put $1,100 into a rebuilt, new clutch, $825 in 31" tires. I would drive it down there as is no problem, but on your budget the motor and front rear end could be rebuilt giving you a mechanically prefect ride for the trip. IFY I live in Portland so cheap Toys in the NW can be found. :wings:

Mike368

Hello Everyone!

I'm pretty new to the Portland area, but not new to ExPo! I've been around a little and now attempting to stay in a spot for more than a couple months. It would be great to meet some Overlanders or just general enthusiasts in the area. I've already spent a little bit of time in Tillamook State Forest and Mt. Hood areas. I built a rig over the summer while spending time in the Bitterroot mountain range in Montana, basically it's a 1984 Toyota 4x4 running chassis with a 1976 Toyota Chinook camper attached to it. I've gutted the interior and did my best to revive it.

View attachment 254965 View attachment 254964

View attachment 254963

Here is a little video of some test wheeling I did with some friends in Moab a few weeks back: http://youtu.be/9sGEweFdejw

Like I said, I'm new to the area and it would be great to meet some like minded people. I'm located in NE Portland near 82nd and Fremont for the time being.

Or a set up like this guy has would be perfect.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Isuzu Trooper...$4200 for this one. 157K on the clock....the engine will actually get out of its' own way, unlike a 22R. :D

00J0J_g1sqD56JJ4T_600x450.jpg

FJR Colorado

Explorer
$5K would not buy you much Toyota. Or at least not one that you would want to take on this journey.

You might find a Subaru that would be up for the adventure.

Isuzu Trooper...$4200 for this one. 157K on the clock....the engine will actually get out of its' own way, unlike a 22R. :D

00J0J_g1sqD56JJ4T_600x450.jpg

$5K would not buy you much Toyota. Or at least not one that you would want to take on this journey.

You might find a Subaru that would be up for the adventure.

Absolutely right. A Toyota may not be the best truck for the budget. You could get a lot more for your money if you bought another brand.

The words "discount" and "sushi" should never go in the same sentence.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
I guess the next questions are:

Do you plan on sleeping in your truck? Camping in a ground tent? Staying at hostels? Roof top tent? Camper?

Do you need indoor living space or are you okay with camping outside all of the time? Do you need to be able to stealth camp along the way?

For some more ideas, here's a listing of what others have taken:
http://drivetheamericas.com/roadtripper-profiles

When are you leaving?

Clutch

<---Pass
Absolutely right. A Toyota may not be the best truck for the budget. You could get a lot more for your money if you bought another brand.

The words "discount" and "sushi" should never go in the same sentence.

Look at Ford Rangers too...they are plentiful South of the Border. Like the Trooper...usually owned by older slow guys (like me) that don't beat on them. Yota's on the other hand are pretty clapped out at that price point.

I would sell my '99 Tacoma with 285,000 miles on it for $5-6000. My '02 Trooper with 111,000 I would be lucky to get $3500...the Pooper is a fine stout vehicle, feels more spacious than a 4Runner.

Last edited:

vicali

Adventurer
When I sold my 86 Toyota 4x4 the new buyer was headed to Belize -I like to think it's still there on a beach..
4x4, canopy, 22re, winch, and almost 400,000 km.. $2500

Clutch

<---Pass
When I sold my 86 Toyota 4x4 the new buyer was headed to Belize -I like to think it's still there on a beach..
4x4, canopy, 22re, winch, and almost 400,000 km.. $2500

My '92 Pick-up that I sold for $3500 14 years ago, went to Costa Rica. Silly thing if I still had it today, probably get the same amount for it.

AZ4Runner

Observer
Easily would be a 3rd Gen 4Runner for me. 1996-1999 are the best years for cheaper budgets. I live in AZ and they can go for $3000-6000. I have heard that PNW it is not as cheap though.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Actually, I just sold my '97 T4R for $5,000 to a neighbor lady. 237 K on body, ~90 K miles on engine, and ~40 K miles on tranny and radiator. Installed OME suspension, and gave her the General AltiMax Arctic studded snows with the deal. It would have been a perfect rig for your proposed trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior