Seattle to the Darien Gap in a sub $5,000 Toyota - What would you buy?

Actually, I just sold my '97 T4R for $5,000 to a neighbor lady. 237 K on body, ~90 K miles on engine, and ~40 K miles on tranny and radiator. Installed OME suspension, and gave her the General AltiMax Arctic studded snows with the deal. It would have been a perfect rig for your proposed trip.

No doubt!

Viggen

Just here...

There is an answer in the very photo. Look in the next row back and you will see a first generation and a second generation Trooper.

The real answer:
16569306_1.jpg

Toyota Corolla. They are reliable, cheap, and cockroaches in other countries. They are everywhere. Plus, you will get 30+ mpg, and attract ZERO attention to yourself.

Clutch

<---Pass
The real answer:
16569306_1.jpg

Toyota Corolla. They are reliable, cheap, and cockroaches in other countries. They are everywhere. Plus, you will get 30+ mpg, and attract ZERO attention to yourself.

Needs at least one mismatched door and you're golden.

I couldn't do a car though...cars "in general" just suck.

Last edited:

Subspd

Adventurer
Agree. I wouldn't look for a Toyota in that price range. A Montero or Trooper would be a much better bet.

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
I highly suggest a 90-95 Toyota 4runner. 22re/5speed if you can find it, but V6 auto is just fine as well. If it's been maintained like it should be, 200,000 is just getting broke in. Mine has 221,000 on the clock and drives like a champ. I paid $1800 for it, added a $750 set of tires, and spent another $1000ish on timing belt, water pump, gaskets/seals, tune up, etc to get her running like new again. I would drive it anywhere with no worries. It's 100% stock, except for the tires, and it'll go ANYWHERE. This one is a V6/Auto, but I've also owned the same truck in the 22re/5speed version and loved it too. I particularly love being able to sleep in it comfortably. The back seats lay perfectly flat, making a perfect sleeping area. I'm 6'0" and can fully stretch out with 6" to spare, and it's plenty wide enough to sleep side by side with someone else.

Last edited:

Box Rocket

An 80 series Land Cruiser would be a great candidate. True, finding one in that price range will likely have high miles. But if it has been maintained well that should be a concern. My own FZJ80 has over 320K miles on it.
There is a bigger issue that just vehicle reliability and cost to consider for a trip like this. Travelling that distance and in those areas you will want a vehicle with a high level of security. I pickup would be less than ideal because of the difficulty of keeping items safe inside the vehicle. Even with a camper top it is more risky since the toppers are much easier to get into. For that reason I would strongly suggest a full bodied SUV like the Land Cruiser or 4Runner. A 4Runner will likely be easier to find in your price range. Land Cruiser parts will be more expensive but are likely more readily available in other countries as the Land Cruisers are a worldwide platform, and especially in remote areas of Central America, so mechanics will likely be familiar with them and know how to make repairs.
So depending on the amount of gear you need to take and the space required I'd definitely be looking at a Land Cruiser Wagon of some kind (even an FJ60) or a 4Runner.
A Montero or Trooper might be cheaper to get into but you won't have the same level of durability or reliability. And definitely won't have the same level of knowledge about the vehicles in other countries or the same accessibility to parts.

Clutch

<---Pass
There is a bigger issue that just vehicle reliability and cost to consider for a trip like this. Travelling that distance and in those areas you will want a vehicle with a high level of security. I pickup would be less than ideal because of the difficulty of keeping items safe inside the vehicle. Even with a camper top it is more risky since the toppers are much easier to get into. For that reason I would strongly suggest a full bodied SUV like the Land Cruiser or 4Runner. A 4Runner will likely be easier to find in your price range. Land Cruiser parts will be more expensive but are likely more readily available in other countries as the Land Cruisers are a worldwide platform, and especially in remote areas of Central America, so mechanics will likely be familiar with them and know how to make repairs.

What, are the windows rock proof on SUV's? :p

I own both a truck and a SUV....the truck is a much better traveler...swallows gear better, and I like keeping the gear separate from the drivers compartment. As they say "to each their own".

AZ4Runner

Observer
Reason i like the 3rd gen 4runner is that you can sleep in it easily. If tent camping is not an issue for you check out thr suzuki vitara. This small suv was mentioned as a runner up in the 10 best overland rigs by this very site. I don't know much about them but they get better fuel mileage, look to be reliable and is a 'sleeper' so it avoids theft.

Hope that helps.

fo' runnin'

Overland Textile Co.
Reason i like the 3rd gen 4runner is that you can sleep in it easily. If tent camping is not an issue for you check out thr suzuki vitara. This small suv was mentioned as a runner up in the 10 best overland rigs by this very site. I don't know much about them but they get better fuel mileage, look to be reliable and is a 'sleeper' so it avoids theft.

Hope that helps.

I also prefer 3rd gen 4runners to any other gen, but it's not always easy to find one in 4x4 that hasn't been beat to hell or has 9 million miles on it for under 5k. :/

Box Rocket

What, are the windows rock proof on SUV's? :p

I own both a truck and a SUV....the truck is a much better traveler...swallows gear better, and I like keeping the gear separate from the drivers compartment. As they say "to each their own".

You're absolutely right, to each their own. But there is a reason that the people doing trips like this are primarily using enclosed vehicles and not trucks. If you ask the people who have actually done it, I believe they would agree. I good friend of mine who made this trip (even farther actually to Ushuaia) I know would agree with me.
All that said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and I'm sure that the trip could be done in a truck.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
You're absolutely right, to each their own. But there is a reason that the people doing trips like this are primarily using enclosed vehicles and not trucks. If you ask the people who have actually done it, I believe they would agree. I good friend of mine who made this trip (even farther actually to Ushuaia) I know would agree with me.
All that said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and I'm sure that the trip could be done in a truck.

With a couple modifications a canopy can be fairly secure. We were broken into twice in Mexico and updated our security accordingly ;) We haven't had any problems since. It's pretty easy to punch the locks out in the 4Runner to open the doors...

In regards to security, don't leave anything visible and lock up (in a safe/lockbox) anything you really don't want stolen. Most thefts are just quick break-ins when the opportunity arises.
http://desktoglory.com/security-updates/

This was in Guanajuato just after our Mexican "3M" black-out tint was installed. This is what $8000 gets you...
140122_DeskToGlory_SecurityUpgrades-15.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass

Yerp...good thing we are all different...otherwise re-sale on clapped out 80's would be stupid crazy. ;)

My wife used to live in Panama for a couple few years...they went all over down there in a 2WD HiLux with no camper shell.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior