Seattle to the Darien Gap in a sub $5,000 Toyota - What would you buy?

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I am looking to spend no more then $5,000 for a vehicle to take me to the Darien Gap and back. I hope to spend as much of the trip off-road as possible, but considering my budget and experience, I will limit it to light off-road duty. With that in mind, I would think I could consider an early model Rav4?

I assume many of you would suggest an early model 22re pickup or 4runner but they seem to either be beat or have a hefty-nostalgia toyota tax.

What would be your suggestions for vehicle choice?

Thanks for your time,

Miles

I've got a Toyota pickup I could sell you. $4900 takes it.

Just kidding. How about a FJ80? or a 89-94 pickup or 4Runner? Both of those could be had sub $5000. You could get yourself into a 3RZ equipped Tacoma for not much more. That would be my choice.

Can you guys see that pic? I don't know why Photobucket is messing with me. If you can't see it then the jokes no good.

Last edited:

Sisyphus

Adventurer
I've heard of the fjz80s legendary reliability, but am I naive to cross it off the list because most in that price range have absurdly high mileage? Then again, other than the rav4, most toyota 4x4s in that price range will have high mileage. Are there still low mileage fjz80s to be found in my budget without the lockers?

I too worry that the FJ80's in that price range may be a little tired. Parts for an 80 are not cheap or readily available either. Imagine walking into an auto parts store in Northern Wisconsin asking them for a fuel filter for an FJ80. They's think you were talking about a motorcycle.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
Do the 22re's share the same fait with parts costs and availability or no? Anybody here have experience with the 3.4 4runner?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
I actually think an FZJ80 would be a good candidate. Should be easy to find one for under 5k with decent miles. (by decent I mean 200k-225k miles, which is nothing)

A 3rd gen 4runner is probably your best bet though. Should be easy to find a decent one for 5k.

22re Pickups and 4Runners are also in your budget.

I found several 4runners and Pickups on Craigslist in your area worth taking a look at.

djtc

Adventurer
Edit: Sorry I clearly did not see the offroad part of your post.

Just to add something here... you dont need a locked up 80 series Lc to travel from Seattle to Panama. Many people have done the same trip with bicycles,motorcycle, your everyday sedan, suv ,you name it! Unless you want to cross the darien gap (not easy!) , you can pretty much drive down with anything.

Loubaru

Adventurer
Just a FYI for some of the posters. In the NW there is a pretty large Toyota tax and I'm assuming the OP will be purchasing the vehicle in Seattle. I can't see finding a decent G3 4Runner of FJ80 for under 5k.

I think a G2 4Runner or an pick up from that era would be good? Or a Montero?

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Any vehicle with decent ground clearance that has been maintained well will get you to Panama. Throw some decent tires on it (with a proper full size spare) and you'll be able to hit 95% of the dirt roads that you'll want to (bring a compressor to air back up after airing down on some of those looooooong dirt roads). 4wd gets you a little more clearance and the ability to make water crossings etc so you don't have to turn around and find another route if one "highway" is flooded.

My red truck has open diffs front and rear, an OME suspension, and a set of 265/75R16s. I went with a mild build because I didn't know what to expect and I didn't want to be fixing stuff on the road, but in reality I could have taken my stock 400,000km pickup thrown on a set of new 31" tires and hit the road.

I think a Rav4 would make a great platform. An 80 Series would be good too. Don't forget about 4Runners since they're way cheaper than Pickups or Tacomas. Also, consider a van (inside living space, stealth camping, etc).

You've got AutoZones throughout Mexico that seem to stock as much as they stock in the states. Don't worry too much about finding parts, if they're not in stock they can always be ordered.

DeskToGlory

Adventurer
Just a FYI for some of the posters. In the NW there is a pretty large Toyota tax and I'm assuming the OP will be purchasing the vehicle in Seattle. I can't see finding a decent G3 4Runner of FJ80 for under 5k.

I think a G2 4Runner or an pick up from that era would be good? Or a Montero?

Agreed, an '89-'95 4Runner would be the best bang for the buck. People still ask a fortune for Pickups though!

mathers420

Observer
if you are trying to keep your budget under 5000$ the FJ80 is most likely not for you.

You COULD find one that is well maintained under 5 grand but that is very unlikely, along with the parts availability and most importantly gas mileage I would not look at an FJ80.

I'm not saying they aren't great trucks, they are (I have one) but the newest ones are 17 years old and maintenance can be tricky

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I had a '98 Rav4 and think it would be fine! I also had a '98 4Runner and would pick the 4Runner first. If you go the Rav4 route, and choose a manual transmission, pay attention to the 5th gear. There is a problem where that wears out. Otherwise, ours was trouble free!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior