.450 Rigby

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I am thinking of extended trips further north, mostly into the region around the Hyland and Little Hyland Rivers, (specifically the area north of Hyland River Park) since those rivers were named for my Grandfather and my father, and I want my kids to feel a stronger connection to that region.

As we get further north, the Grizzly's start getting thicker, and I'd like a very heavy game rifle. I know the 30-06 will be adequate, as would the 308 really, but since I want the boys to be hunting with those, I will be getting something different for myself anyways, and thought, "what the heck, I've always loved the big Rigby's".

So OK, I've established no real "need" for it, now we are talking about wants.

Never having shot the Rigby, just lusted from afar, I am wondering if anyone has any feedback or input.

Very cool the Hyland rivers were named for your grandfather and father. Tons of my friends have paddled the length of those rivers - it's about a two week trip - and I've tooled around in that area some looking for moose and Caribou. I especially love where the Hyland strikes off from the Nahanni Range Road - I've always wanted to day trip a few short sections for moose, though you have to be careful about whitewater, and it's not a good time of year for a swim.

My hunting buddy shoots a .375 H&H which he absolutely loves. He's a very big guy though, so the weight and recoil doesn't bother him. It sure did the job on a bison we estimate was 1500lbs standing up. I didn't think the recoil was significant the one time I fired it, though it's insanely heavy which cancels it out.

A few people up here shoot the .416 rigby for bison, though it's usually considered overkill.

The 30/06 is the legal minimum, and most agree the 300 wm is the sweet spot for bison and bigger moose.
I never got used to the recoil on the 300wm, I stuck with my 30/06.

I'm not a fan of any rifle for bear defense, because you won't be able to get it up and on target in time when the bear is only 20 feet away and closing very fast. Anything with a scope is out in my mind.
Most up here carry a pump 12 gauge loaded with slugs alternating with big buck shot. For bear defense the plan is to unload as fast as humanly possible - even if you miss with a slug or two, you will hopefully do some damage with the buck shot.

Hopefully.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne