Family of 4- want to get out of tent, have heat-A/C, mild off-road capability

zimm17

Observer
I'm bored at work and brainstorming about getting out of cubicle and into the outdoors.

I have a wife who says she's outdoorsy, but I've never got her out camping in the 7 years we've been together. We have 2 boys, currently 2 and 4 and we live in Virginia/DC area. I'm looking to get out and start exploring the parks in western va or visit some friends who have dry cabins on top of mountains (without imposing on their living space), etc.

I currently have a budget of zero, so I'll be scrapping cash together to save up for this endevor.

I do drive a 2005 F250 4x4 with a shortbed and 5.4 gasser motor.

While I'd love to build out a camping rig out of a full size van and make it a 4x4, right now I think I'm limited to either a camper on the truck, a bed tent and offroad trailer, or a camper trailer of some kind (pop up, travel trailer, etc).

I'm mostly concerned with having sleeping room for the 4 of us, avoiding bugs, have heat so we can get out in the winter, maybe A/C for the summer? (not sure). I don't think a kitchen is required because I don't mind using my coleman stove and Weber BBQ on the trailgate or picnic table. Us boys don't need a bathroom, but I'm sure my wife would love a porta potty. I have a Honda EU2000 generator if that helps.

In another year or two it's going to be getting close to dirtbike/quad age for the boys so I'd like to bring those along too.

Obviously I don't know what I want or need right now, but I'd love to hear some thoughts or ideas to get my brainstorming heading the right direction.

zimm17

Observer
Wow, that's a little sketchy for me, I'd have spend a little more cash.

I'm worried about the height over the cab- the forest road to get to my buddy's property has pretty low tree branches. Now if I didn't use it for that one person's place, it would fit most other destinations...

And what's the sleeping situation like in a slide in like that?

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
May not be in your price range, but if you are in the NOVA/DC area, you are welcome to come by and check out our Tiger:

153874285.jpg

At the very least, your spouse can chat with mine about the joys of little kidders in the bush.
:)

More pictures here:
http://www.pbase.com/diplostrat/ndeke_luka

zimm17

Observer
Wow, that's a seriously sweet rig! Way overboard for I need! I'm just trying to go "camping" but up a couple notches from a tent on the ground. I'm in Annadale, so right down the road from you.

For now I'm mostly leaning towards a pop up, because I can stuff in my side yard, they have two beds so the kids can be one and and we're at the other. Then the bed of the truck is available for supplies, dirtbikes, etc. Downside is that I can't tow the boat and go camping at the same time, unless I overnight on the boat. Other problem is a pop up is still soft sides.

The harsh reality is that I doubt it'll get used more than a few times a year so I don't want to put a fortune into it. If the kids really get into it, then maybe get something nicer for round 2.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Back in the old daze ...

How about a sturdy topper on your pickup? We made lots of trips in Blazers that had various forms of decks over the rear area. Here is a photo of one:

103637673.jpg

You can sleep on the deck and store stuff underneath. Reinforce the roof so that it can carry a rack and you have space for bikes, boats, or whatever. Other options include mounting a roof top tent or simply storing a tent(s) in the roof rack.

I grant you that this is a long way from a heated or A/C equipped camper and when you add either of those criteria, costs go up rapidly. Ndeke Luka is basically what we wished we had when we were freezing our ankles off on the altiplano!

Best wishes!

kpredator

Adventurer
buy a used popup truck camper,I think we have 3500 in our north star.we pull the boat behind it all the time.been to florida with it.no problems.

camped down to zero in it at yellow stone,also woke up in the Yukon with 8" snow covering us.we just throw on another comforter and stay nice and warm.

jm2c

kp

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Used pop up truck camper.
You have the truck, so that makes it easier.
I think the northstar tc650 is a good floorplan to start with.
Something along those lines. They come up for around 5k at times.
A regular truck shell is going to be tight with the kids.
All truck campers will be tight, but your wife may like the "inside" space enough to want to go.
If you don't like it, you can sell just the camper.
A trailer for toys could come later.

Check out dirtroadtrip.com for some camping ideas that will be local for you. They are also testing a large Oz tent right now that would be good for your size family.

zimm17

Observer
The tc650 looks cool, but where do two kids sleep? Dinette bed is barely good for,one and he'll roll right out onto the floor. I'd rather give up the kitchenette for a second bunk. Any ideas for something with a queen and two single bunks?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I'd look at medium sized popup's, nothing to attach to truck and it'll have more living space. No having to stow anything to go sightseeing for the day, just lock the trailer receiver and leave it at camp.

If it doesnt work for ya their easy to sell and try another option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94