Considering switching to Nissan - should I??

GrantC

Observer
I'm considering buying a new-to-me vehicle and would like to get some feedback from Nissan owners. There is a story here, so bear with me!

Currently my wife and I drive Mitsubishi Monteros - I have an '87, she has a '97. I like the vehicles, but the manual transmissions in the '87 are apparently weak (mine needs a rebuild at 135k miles), and the V6 used in the later versions have issues with valve guide seals, cam seals, breaking butterfly valves in the intake, etc. The V6 is also a serious PITA to work on, which is an issue since I do all of my own work.

Parts availability is an issue (the nearest dealer is an hour and a half away), as are the vehicles themselves (I'm in Oregon but well outside of the PDX area.) I'd like to replace the '87 with something from the late '90s to early '00s, but low-mileage Monteros of that vintage without major problems are quite rare in my neck of the woods.

So, I'm considering switching brands to one which is more common, easier to work on, and hopefully has fewer problems than the Mitsubishis. I'm considering the late-90s to early '00s Nissan Pathfinders, largely based on the positive experiences of two friends who've owned them.

Usage: daily driver, frequent expedition/recreational driving in spring/summer (unimproved or historical roads); inclement weather during fall/winter. We're not into rock climbing or mudding, so major mods will not be a concern. We buy used vehicles and keep them until they're just no longer serviceable, so models that will easily go past 200k without major work are what we're looking for (neither of our Mitsubishis has made that cut!)

The questions I have:
1) What is the best engine option in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance?
2) What are the major problems with mid-90s to mid-00 examples? Engines, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, electrical — what issues requiring major replacements or rebuilds seem to happen with regularity? In other words, what's known for breaking?
3) How is maintenance/repair as the mileage gets past 150k? What problems can I expect?

Finally, in your mind what is the one major objective reason to pick a Nissan over, say, a Toyota or Jeep (which are the only other brands I'm considering, and I'll be asking the same questions of their owners in those forums)?

Thanks!

colodak

Adventurer
Few years back, my wife had a '94 Pathfinder, kinda wish we had not gotten rid of it, but there was a CEL that had multiple people stumped (finally ended up being the emissions system had to be replaced, by someone else). I am also in the same position as you, debating to replace my 2000 Dodge Dakota, I am looking at 2010 and newer Frontiers, all seem to get great marks, and from what I see on the Frontier forums, they do well into high mileage with normal routine repairs.

ryandavenport

Adventurer
Few years back, my wife had a '94 Pathfinder, kinda wish we had not gotten rid of it, but there was a CEL that had multiple people stumped (finally ended up being the emissions system had to be replaced, by someone else). I am also in the same position as you, debating to replace my 2000 Dodge Dakota, I am looking at 2010 and newer Frontiers, all seem to get great marks, and from what I see on the Frontier forums, they do well into high mileage with normal routine repairs.

I have owned my 2007 Xterra since 36000 miles. It now has 190000 miles with standard maintenance. I have replaced the hubs twice and it's gone through a few different variations of suspension (mainly me getting the urge to go higher, not really worn out). Overall a very reliable vehicle. Mine has seen a pretty extensive amount of off road abuse too.

dthemiley

I have 93 with 235,000 miles. Engine still runs strong and averaging 18mpg with 31 tires and 3" lift. The 2000's basically have the same engine. Easy to fix. Come check out nissanpathfinders.net to get an idea of what you will be looking at.

Yup thats about it

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Okay so the era of pathfinder you are looking at is different from the 93's and 94's mentioned. At 1999.5 year change the vg33 was replaced by the much stronger vq35. I have a 2001 at 160k miles now and have only had an issue with 1 ignition coil. They are very under rated. The aftermarket is slim but not zero, any welder can custom make bumpers. They drive nice and are pretty comfortable. I wouldnt hesitate to buy mine again looking back. Granted I would have looked for a better price but oh well.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
1) What is the best engine option in terms of reliability and ease of maintenance?
2) What are the major problems with mid-90s to mid-00 examples? Engines, transmissions, transfer cases, differentials, electrical — what issues requiring major replacements or rebuilds seem to happen with regularity? In other words, what's known for breaking?
3) How is maintenance/repair as the mileage gets past 150k? What problems can I expect?
1. Weekender and others may have better info on the latter VQ35 but on my 2000 frontier with 245k with the VG33 has been very reliable.
The vg33 is underpowered and you may not want to mess with forced induction supper charger. 3.3L VG33 will crack exhaust headers (mine have been bad for two years and 60k miles), the evap codes are almost always thrown but do not effect performance (just get a gauge to turn off the CEL) knock sensors go bad and may need to be re-routed, little oil capacity (3.5 qts) so change oil often, and t-belts need to be done at 90 to 100k miles.
2. As for major repairs, the engines transfer cases and axles are very robust. The auto hubs can wear out but warn and older Nissan manual hubs are as tough as they come. You may also get a leak behind the dash with the heater core hose failing, loss of fluid and wet floor mats.
3. Past 150k brake rotors fluid and pads, steering tie-rods, u-joints, ball joints, exhaust, shocks.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Okay, now that I am on a computer and not my phone, I can address these points a little more clearly.
-- The vg33 has always been a long lived, stout platform. There are super-charged versions available, but not for the pathfinder (they can be added I would assume, I have not seen this happen).
-The VQ35DE that came in late 1999 boasts a 260hp platform that has found its way into nearly every recent Nissan/Infiniti Model. Ample amounts of power is given from the factory, possible adders include intake and exhaust. Being built with the multiple models in mind that the VQ would get thrown into, the engineers spent a lot of time on the pathfinder engine to top it out. Meaning, that power is at a high point for the engine where reliability is not a concern.. plus that sturdy aluminum block to boot. Maintenance wise, that 6th cylinder spark plug is a nightmare! Some models had an issue with butterfly screws backing out and grenade-ing the engine. Easy fix is to Loctite them down. The ignition coils seem to be a piece that has to get replaced past 150k miles. Death wobble is a concern for many pathfinders, the rear lower trailing arms (control arms) bushing will erode away giving the vehicle a swaying motion when driving at speeds. The can be very slight or can be down right dangerous. The new arms cost about an hour of time and $110 to replace.
-
Any pathfinder R50 series 1996-2004 should give you a very easy working platform that will not need much up-keep. Rust can be a concern on the strut tower if you live in an area that uses salt to clear the roads. There was a recall for that. Service intervals are easily written out on NissanPathfinders.net so there should be no big questions there.
-
On your last point, honestly speaking here. I love Jeep Wranglers and Tacomas (other Toyotas don't interest me but Tacomas do), but EVERYONE has one. When I drive to work or school, I cant count the number of 4Runners or Tacomas or Wranglers I see driving around. Back in the start of Toyota, they were THE number one name for reliability for vehicles. Lately though, other competitors have stepped up their game and any vehicle now should rock 250k miles no worries. The "Toyota Tax" is not a myth, people say they hold their value and that is starting to turn into more heresay than anything. This keeps the prices of them well higher than what would be expected. For example, a forum member was looking into a new 4Runner or Xterra, for the price of a fully loaded off road Xterra, he could just be into the base model 4Runner. This extends back to the late 90's by looking online. As for Jeeps, so many kitted out Jeeps running around where the driver has no idea what the Rubicon edition gives them except leather seats and Nav system. I don't want to look like every other commuter.
-Buying a pathfinder will be way less money, same reliability as the Toyotas of same year and you wont be like everyone else on the road. Plus the looks on their faces when you get through the same trails they do with it...Priceless.
-
-
P.S. Look for an Infiniti QX4 of the same years as the pathfinders. Heated seats, heated mirrors and heated wipers, leather, wood grain...the works!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Nissan is off the List

Haha bummer guys! We are not convincing enough for the OP.

Good luck guy, with whatever you choose.

bushnut

Adventurer
I read the OP this morning and have been thinking on it all day.
Pretty much Ditto to what Kyle said. except for that the engine change was in 2001. I have a 2000 with the vg33.
would I buy another one when this one is dead....ABSOLUTELY! Though I might lean 'tward an Xterra because of more aftermarket support.
Mine has never let me down. driven 8000km on a road trip last fall. only issue was a CV boot. It goes anywhere a wrangler will go with 33s (BTDT)

since I bought it 3 years ago I've replaced the exhaust, struts and shocks, coil springs, a bunch of bushings and spark plugs, all of which were OEM and 13 years old. I installed bigger tires only because I wanted to, and the timing belt/water pump and drive belts only because I wasn't sure if they had ever been done. I also had the strut tower recall done and things now seem to be fine.
next on the list is break pads.
If I can keep the rust at bay I hope to keep the truck for the next 10 years.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I love my roo, but miss my 05 frontier like no other. Such nice vehicles, so solid, so trustworthy.

GrantC

Observer
Thanks for all the replies.

I looked at some local examples, talked again with my friends who owned them, and decided to focus my search on Jeep. The primary reason is parts availability, as there are just many more Jeeps around my area. If I lived in a larger area Nissan would probably be back on my radar.

Thanks again for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles