From tool box to shop roll

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Well I have a heavy tool box that is pretty big that i always keep in the truck. I've had it for years and when we had the Suburbans room was never an issue so it didn't matter what I brought for tools or that I brought a bunch of stuff I would probably never need. Now I'm really trying to slim everything down and not a waste space on stuff I'm probably not going to use. We bought one of those shop rolls at the expo last year because I wanted to try that after realizing how few tools I actually end up using on trips. I realized that issurs are either going to be something small that will use a few hand tools, or something major which I won't be able to fix in the field with just a tool box.

I was wondering has anyone put together a list of the tools to put in a shop roll for a 4th gen 4Runner? I could take a while and try and pick it myself but if someone already has a tried and true list I'd love to see that. Mainly wrench/ socket sizes, specialty tools I may need, etc.. Thanks guys.

8, 10, 12mm 1/4 6 point deep sockets
14, 17, 21mm 3/8 6 point deep sockets

1/4, 3/8 (4", 6") extensions & 2 adapters

1/4, & 3/8 dual ratchet

-Needle Nose Pliers
-Blunt Nose Pliers
-Phillps & Standard screw driver #2 & #6
-2 shop rags
-Flashlight
-6" cheater bar
-OBD2 small reader

* Jack, tire iron, etc comes in truck aleady.

All this fits in an old camcorder bag, it fits prefectly inside the boot compartment where the factory stuff is. That is all I carry for the truck repair, if it ever needs it. It never does, I am very picky retentive @$$ person when it comes to my vehicle maintenance. Hopefully that was helpful. :)

* 04' 4runner V8 4WD *

Last edited:

86tuning

Adventurer
This is the kit that inspired me to build my own. I started off with some electrical tools and stuff in a tool roll. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416884022.920935.jpg

I've also got a regular socket set and some misc stuff. But the writeup on the jeep forums is pretty awesome. Just adjust it for the needs of your Toyota.

Yup. I drive an 80-series cruiser, but just posted a link to a jeep forum. Lol.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
I've been meaning to do something similar. I, too, bought a shop roll last May. I've managed I pick up a few drivers. Thanks for the suggestions

GX470_Prado

Observer
I much prefer tool rolls over a box in vehicle

Rolls usually don't rattle
They take up very little space
Unrolled they are very easy to access/see every tool

GX470_Prado

Observer
I have purchased a couple of cheap ones off of amazon that the build seems ok but too easy to keep adding things to "fill it up" and maybe leaving behind something because there was not the right slot or pouch for it.

You would be better off making your own made to fit the tools you will bring and only the tools you will bring... That is my next step.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne