Best Tire Repair Kit-help needed

I know this subject has been brought up a lot, but I was directed to a review in the Overland Journal published in the Fall 2012. I cannot access this article electronically and don't have the journal for Fall 2012...anyone be so kind as to check the article and give me the ranking rec by James Langan... who wrote this article?

I am leaning towards getting the ARB tire repair kit. :)

Many thanks

Mike

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I don't have access to that piece; however, the ARB kit is a good one and you'd be happy with it. The only one demonstrably better in my experience is the Ultimate Puncture Repair Kit from Extreme Outback. It's probably the last kit you'll ever need, and is suitable for everything from plugging to major sidewall splits. They're all we use for tire repair classes at the Overland Expo.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
The ARB and Safety Seal kits are pretty similar (I've used both). I think you would be perfectly happy with any of the quality kits mentioned

- ARB
- Safety Seal
- Extreme Outback

I've never had any of them fail on me.

Thanks to everyone...look like the ARB is it. The "Ultimate Tire repair kit" is tempting(But cost 2X more) with the soft mole bag instead of orange plastic case. :)

Mike

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
The ARB and Safety Seal kits are pretty similar (I've used both). I think you would be perfectly happy with any of the quality kits mentioned

- ARB
- Safety Seal
- Extreme Outback

I've never had any of them fail on me.

I've got all three kits. ARB is China. Safety seal USA has been used a hundred times with out fail. Even the 20 year old plastic case is as good as new. The outback kit is packed with everything so when I saw a deal on one I bought it. I never used it but it has everything you may ever need. The other kits need valve cores and valve stems to be complete but they are cheap. Get the outback kit. It's got a nice bag with room for all sorts of extra gear.

I've got all three kits. ARB is China. Safety seal USA has been used a hundred times with out fail. Even the 20 year old plastic case is as good as new. The outback kit is packed with everything so when I saw a deal on one I bought it. I never used it but it has everything you may ever need. The other kits need valve cores and valve stems to be complete but they are cheap. Get the outback kit. It's got a nice bag with room for all sorts of extra gear.

Do you know if the Outback kit sells cheaper at certain retailers or times of the year? It runs $86...the ARB right now runs $32(Free ship and free of tax). That Outback kit does look comprehensive...and like the bag too...would stow in my FJ rear compartment nicely I bet. :)

Mike

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
K
Do you know if the Outback kit sells cheaper at certain retailers or times of the year? It runs $86...the ARB right now runs $32(Free ship and free of tax). That Outback kit does look comprehensive...and like the bag too...would stow in my FJ rear compartment nicely I bet. :)

Mike
I bought my outback new but previously owned so I can't speak on the price. The ARB will do a good job for pluging tires if you don't have a plug kit. It can take a lot of force on some tires so any of these good kits will get the job done. I'm such a cheap bastard on so many things that I can afford a money no object attitude when it comes to gear I'll use. A tire plug kit will get used for life on your tires and others. I like my ARB kit just fine and it's great but its just that the other kits are a little nicer. You won't be sorry with any of them and at only $32 I'd say that's cheap enough. The Outback at 86 is quite a bit. I modify my Safety Seal and ARB kits with valve cores and valve stems just in case I need them. The ARB looks like just a good copy of the safety seal but like I said it can take a lot of force at times and I'd trust the Safty Seal a bit more. Knowing that be carful not to bend or break the insertion needle and ream the hole well if you go ARB. The ARB plugs in their kit were a bit different but they work just as well.

kpredator

Adventurer
yes purchase a good metal handled plugging tool or kit but pay more attention to your air compressor.
maybe have a spare if going somewhere remote or alone.

jm2c

kp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior