Cooper Discoverer AT3 in snow

Clutch

<---Pass
I have the A/T3 in P rated 265/75/16 and they have been really great in the snow. I'm not sure if being so soft in the sidewall makes any difference or not, but since having these tires, I've already decided I'm going to stick with them when they wear out. I have close to 40k on them now and they have at least another 10k left in them. Hard to believe but it's true. I'm going with the E rated 235/85/16 next time though.

That's a very valid question and one I had too. Some people were telling me to just run lower pressures. I did run them for awhile at 29 psi instead of 33 but I started to notice some cracking in the area near the bead, so I aired them back up. My Duratracs were E rated and had the 3 ply sidewall, but they were no where near as stiff.

Is the rubber compound different on the E's?

Clutch

<---Pass
Great ideas. Unfortunately, neither are made in my size. :(

Just had to go with the odd ball stuff, eh? ;)

I feel for ya, I like 32X11.5X15's....getting harder and harder to find a good selection of tires in that size.

kayadog

Adventurer
I've run both the AT3 and the Grabber AT2. I would say they were equally good for on road winter driving. The AT3 is a much smoother, quieter tire on the highway however. I also currently run the Hankook ATM and it is very similar to the AT3. None of these tires are very good on black ice but no all terrain tire is. Have you looked at the new Cooper A/TW? (All Terrain Winter)

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
I wish that Cooper would make the A/TW in a 35x12.5R17 or 315/70R17.

FWIW, I have the Treadwright Guard Dogs with Kedge Grip and they are really fantastic in snow country - better than any tire I've ever seen. But as a mud terrain tire that does not utilize a variable pitch tread pattern, they're pretty noisy on the road. That's my only complaint with them, and the only reason why I'm considering all-terrains for my next set of tires. If Treadwright would just mold their all-terrain tread pattern into the 315/70R17 casings I would already own a set!

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
These look great! but not in the right size.

I have no complaints at all about the AT3 on dry or wet roads, or even on snow. You are correct; they are as quiet as sin. They just don't work well on black ice. Black ice is pervasive here in the winter.

Studs. The only thing that studs excel at compaired to anything else available to us plebs is on ice. I blew my budget for tires for the next 12 months on the ST/MAXXs. maybe next fall/winter something will be available with studs in 255/80R17.

I've run both the AT3 and the Grabber AT2. I would say they were equally good for on road winter driving. The AT3 is a much smoother, quieter tire on the highway however. I also currently run the Hankook ATM and it is very similar to the AT3. None of these tires are very good on black ice but no all terrain tire is. Have you looked at the new Cooper A/TW? (All Terrain Winter)

http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

Clutch

<---Pass
Studs. The only thing that studs excel at compaired to anything else available to us plebs is on ice. I blew my budget for tires for the next 12 months on the ST/MAXXs. maybe next fall/winter something will be available with studs in 255/80R17.

You can stud the ST-Maxx's..and then remove the studs when winter is over, albeit if the tires aren't too worn.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=124

141229407.vWplOSh1.Coopermaxx.jpg

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
I'll check and see what installing studs will cost. Probably cheap insurance actually.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Living up here in St. Paul, snow, ice and black ice are a constant for half the year. Studs are illegal up here. am in the market to replace my BFG AT's which have been good but noisy and expensive. After reading the OJ tire review, I was leaning towards the AT3 but stopped short a bit when I started reading this thread. Granted, no all terrain tire will be great on ice and there are always compromises. FWIW, I checked out Consumer Reports to see what they though about the AT3 and it ranked in about the middle of the all terrain tires they rated. But they did specifically comment: "A very good choice for areas where icy roads are rare." So, their experience is similar to what some of you have experienced.

I started researching the ST Maxx which looks like a possible option but am concerned about its longevity and road noise. I spend as much time as I can out west exploring remote areas but I have a lot of highway miles to drive to get there. And, having just purchased a FWC Eagle camper, I need a tire that will hold up to the additional weight. So, its back to the drawing board, I guess.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'll check and see what installing studs will cost. Probably cheap insurance actually.

Or just bite the bullet and buy true snow tires...I can't run the size I like either, in a snow tire. I have to go down to a 31"...looks a little goofy with my 3" lift but oh well.

If you ever watch rally racing their snow tires a quite a bit smaller than their gravel tires.

Cheapest snow tires I found were Firestones $700 OTD.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Clutch,

Torfab will be doing my OME lift, WhiteKnuckle sliders, ComeUP hidden winch on a BudBuilt plate, and a set of Rigid LED lights. They're having a local Les Schwab dealership install and align the tires. I've just asked them to sipe them at the same time. I'm also installing some Schrockworks TE style rocker panels, a Gobi ladder and a Camelback Metal roof rack myself. I just bought the rig about 3 weeks ago. Will have to drive very cafefully this winter and save for those snow tires for next year. :-(

I'm running out of $$

Clutch

<---Pass
Clutch,

Torfab will be doing my OME lift, WhiteKnuckle sliders, ComeUP hidden winch on a BudBuilt plate, and a set of Rigid LED lights. They're having a local Les Schwab dealership install and align the tires. I've just asked them to sipe them at the same time. I'm also installing some Schrockworks TE style rocker panels, a Gobi ladder and a Camelback Metal roof rack myself. I just bought the rig about 3 weeks ago.

Dang...going all out, sounds cool.

I'm running out of $$

I hear that! Funny how long it takes to make it, it how quickly it goes. ;)

Sipping should make a difference.

voodoojk

Adventurer
Just did white rim trail this weekend and my cooper st/maxx did great.. Woke up today to couple inches of snow and was white knuckled all the way to work. Not as bad as my previous KM 2 & MT/R obviously... I will be putting on snow tires here soon.

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Well, I am envious! I have always wanted to do the White Rim Trail. A buddy of mine and I did the Lockard Basin Trail 8 years ago, and he had done the WRT the year prior to that. Just haven't been able to get back there with enough time to do it myself. I usually zip through Moab on my way to Cedar Mesa. We do day hikes in canyon country looking for Anasazi ruins. My new, to me, T4R is being set up to continue that activity. glad to hear the ST/MAXXs did the job for you in that environment. That helps me justify my selection of tires pretty much.

Just did white rim trail this weekend and my cooper st/maxx did great.. Woke up today to couple inches of snow and was white knuckled all the way to work. Not as bad as my previous KM 2 & MT/R obviously... I will be putting on snow tires here soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz