How do you travel with your pets?

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
It'd be cool to have them in the cab, but its just not possible with 2 adults and 2 children. I suppose maybe with a suburban lol

Clutch

<---Pass
IMG_0577.JPG

truck1.jpg

Dog_Topper.JPG

JackDoor.jpg

gd_point_0810a.jpg

FlagRS

Gone to the dogs.
Wow, three huskies that's a handful. Here's our setup for one lucky Lab.

SnugTop XTRA VISION with partial platform and pet screens. Storing gear under the platform is nice, and up on the platform the dog can see out while laying down. It's worked out pretty good so far. The next step is a small off road trailer w/RTT.

IMG_0707-L.jpg

IMG_0710-L.jpg

IMG_0709-L.jpg

MotoDave

Explorer
We have 2 options in our Tundra Double Cab - if its just me and my wife and the dog, she usually rides in a hammock type seat cover that connects between the front and rear seat headrests. Keeps dog hair off the seats (somewhat successfully) and makes a nice place for her to hang out. We use a dog harness clipped to one of the LATCH child seat mounts - I feel its very important to keep dogs retrained the same as you would a person, I personally don't want 75 lbs of doofy lab flying forward if we're in an accident, let alone the dog being hurt.

Our dog is crate trained, if we're going on a long drive or have people that need to sit in the back seat she travels in a crate that's anchored to the L-track rails in the bed of the truck. The crate is towards the tailgate so that she gets ventilation from the windows in the camper shell and for easier access.

Seeing your location, don't neglect to think about cooling back there. I did a long trip last summer through some warm parts of Oregon and California, and had our dog with us. I stuck a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer sender in the camper shell and was surprised how warm it was back there a lot of the time. We found that leaving the sliding windows open between the cab and shell helped some but it was still too hot to leave the dog back there when stopped. Even with ambient temps only in the 80's it could quickly get up over 100 in the shell, and it didn't really cool down quickly once moving either.

I've thought about adding a way to force some air circulation back there, maybe with a fantastic fan in the roof, or something else.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
For many years in what my wife and I call "BK" years (Before Kids) our Red Doberman went everywhere with us and was most happy wedged into a spot with his bed. As long as his bed was in he was fine with the plan. At times this involved lifting him up and letting him crawl into his bed through open windows via wedged in gear etc. Often times all we could do to check on him is look for the tips of his ears sticking up and moving around when we called his name.

Now in the "AK" times ie (After Kids arrived) our old guy passed at 16yrs almost two years ago and we have our 3rd kid "1.5yr old Red doberman" who likes to go to a very cool Dog camp when we do our trips with the kids. When MAC the pup gets older we'll take him with us on camping trips but for now he only does trips to Grandma's house and the summer lake rental which case his crate gets strapped down in the back of the Sequoia half the 3rd row seat is left out and his favorite older kid rides next to him in her car seat. When all our toys and Grandparents are with us we have our 4x6 Life Time Tent trailer which gets loaded with all the various crap.

With the older dog who was very calm and exceptionally trained we would do camping trips with the subaru Outback and the trailer no grand parents, dog got wedged in with his bed in the back worked fine. 3 dogs and kids! I'd need a full sized long bed 4dr to haul all our stuff and the dogs and people. At that point I would probably just board the dogs and go. Loosing a dog to wild animals or having them run off will make you feel horrible in the worst way. If we do any desert overland style trips I'm just going to drop our dog at the Dog Camp which he loves and not worry about him.

adrstout

Adventurer
Built a pooch platform so the dog has a flat area in the cab of the truck. I just lay a blanket on it and she loves it.

photo4_zpsb333750b.jpg

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just ask here.

Me and the family are going to be on the road for 36 days starting at the end of next month. We're stopping at least in Ouray, Moab, Rubicon, and Death Valley and would like to bring our 8 month old puppy with us if possible. We try our best to bring food with us to eat so we don't have to sit down at a restaurant but unfortunately me and the wife are foodies and we end up eating out quite a bit. That is the part that I'm not sure how well will work. Would it be better to leave her at home or does anyone else do like us and make it work?

doug720

Expedition Leader
Our 3 dogs travels with us thousands of miles each year. We travel in an RV, but also in our LandCruiser.

Two of our dogs are older, but we have a 1 year old also.

In general, we stop every 3-4 hours so ALL can have a break, stretch, and whatever else needs to be done. We have had accidents, but very rare. Dogs adapt.

The RV is easy, the dogs are comfortable in it, and we can have AC on if it's hot. The LC wagon is set up for our dogs, opening side windows, grill bars and barrier. It also has a water bowl. Again they love to be in the LC.

We we stop to eat, they may bark some, but are mostly mellow. If it;s hot while in the LC, well, we find shade, open all the windows, or we get the food to go.

We are leaving on a 16 day trip next week, and the hounds know it, so they are excited.

VuickB6

What is this I don't even
Our 3 dogs travels with us thousands of miles each year. We travel in an RV, but also in our LandCruiser.

Two of our dogs are older, but we have a 1 year old also.

In general, we stop every 3-4 hours so ALL can have a break, stretch, and whatever else needs to be done. We have had accidents, but very rare. Dogs adapt.

The RV is easy, the dogs are comfortable in it, and we can have AC on if it's hot. The LC wagon is set up for our dogs, opening side windows, grill bars and barrier. It also has a water bowl. Again they love to be in the LC.

We we stop to eat, they may bark some, but are mostly mellow. If it;s hot while in the LC, well, we find shade, open all the windows, or we get the food to go.

We are leaving on a 16 day trip next week, and the hounds know it, so they are excited.

I forgot to mention that this will be in our 80 Series. Yeah the big concern is her staying in the LC while we go eat. But finding shade and opening the windows sounds doable along with just getting it to go if we can't find a suitable spot.

I'll definitely have to utilize the roof rack more on this trip. We already pack pretty heavy and to fit her in there along with a 63 quart ARB that I'll be getting soon is going to be fun.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Here is the back of our 60 for an idea or two. We have a 40qt ice chest with 5 gallons of water next to it. The dogs have an "L" shaped area and an open slider window on each side.

They are pretty comfy and love to go.

Attachments

• DSC09732 resized.jpg
    DSC09732 resized.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
  • LC2.jpg
    LC2.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P1090817.JPG
    P1090817.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 19
  • P1090816.JPG
    P1090816.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 18

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
This is how they ride on the back of the 60. usually 80% of the time they get the whole cargo area...
The other 20% they get half of the cargo area..as I put the fridge on that right side...still plenty of space....
They do great and dont really try to move from their spot.. they are however clipped in body harness to anchor point.

14%2B-%2B1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke