Charging a 12v batt from a 24v system

fourstringfletch

Adventurer
First, apologies if this horse has been kicked - no luck searching.
I found other discussions on this elsewhere, but they often devolve.

I'd like to charge a 12v battery from a small solar system with (2) 12v deep cycles in series. System details HERE.
I got THIS as a gift, and it's been great.
Both of these things live at our weekend escape cabin and comprise the extent of the power systems there ( minus my truck ).
My goal is to charge the powerdome in the pump house while away, and bring it inside for charging phones on our way in. The pump system is along the driveway, 500 ft from the cabin.
This system is over-sized for our water demand and should keep its batteries full with ease.

Options include:

- Connect a 12v cig lighter outlet from one battery and use the included charger. The manual recommends a max of 12 hours charging this way, and we are away from the property during the week.

- Connect a motorcycle trickle charger to the battery via the jumper cables on the power dome

- Connect the jumper cables on the power dome directly to one of the batteries in the 24v system to equalize 12v

- Connect an inverter to use the included AC charger. The manual says the following about AC charging: " 6. Charge for a full 36 hours before initial use. (Power Dome can be charged continuously via AC adapter without damaging the internal battery.) " This option is also appealing to charge cordless power tools too.

- Connect to both batteries with something like THIS , but then I'm still stuck breaking the manufacturer's 12h limit.

With all but one of these strategies, I'd alternate which battery supplies 12v as much as possible.

So for the sake of health in all 3 batteries, what would you do?

And since some people can't function without pics, here ya go.
p1.jpg p3.jpg

Thanks for your time electron wranglers!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior