Is 4WD necessary in a Light Truck? Diff Locks Sufficient?

Stafford

I have reached my saving goal and am now trying to decide on what truck to purchase for my build.

Im seeing alot of good options that are only 2WD. The trays are closer to the ground, they are much cheaper, have less issues with frame flex and having to fabricate a 3 point mounting system etc.

I am wondering if I can justify the huge additional expense and complication of going 4wd , if, as I have heard, you can get most places in a 2WD truck anyway!

I would like to be able to drive bush tracks, but Im not heading down the Carson River Track in this thing (though Ive done it in a troopy :)

I guess beach driving is out without 4WD...

Any thoughts or advice? How would an old Bedford TK (with Isuzu running gear) compare to an Isuzu FTS series? Worlds apart, or only different on sand or where high clearance is necessary?

thanks heaps for ANY tips from you more experienced truckers on this forum.

Staf.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
4WD aside... the 2WD trucks will also normally have an open rear diff, making it one wheel drive on anything soft.

Aussie Iron

Explorer
It really depends where you want to go. If staying on dirt roads and highways then no you probably don't need 4WD. But for going off road and desert crossing well you won't get me there in a 2WD.

Dan.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
2wd will be adequate on dirt and gravel tracks, absent water/mud. You'll still want to invest in a lockable diff (like an ARB). A lift might be something you'll want to plan as well, as many times, 2wd rigs will come with less clearance from factory.

Then you'll want to fit the biggest tires you can, as more flotation will help overcome the lack of front axle traction.

If you were in North America or eastern Australia, I'd tell you to go straight to 4wd, but where you are, 2wd might be a-ok.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Yep, winch, locking rear diff, and patience. There will always be that part of a trail where you just have to accept defeat, but a 2wd will do just fine.

newhue

Adventurer
Stafford, I don't know anything about trucks, or how much you have done. But to spend the money to set something up then loose the option of not seeing Fraser Island, or Moreton Island, or the many beaches on the East coast or even up the West coast I think you will dupe yourself. Let alone the desert, or some nice rain forest which is a bit greasy, or just some water logged stretch of track.
Overlanding, Expedition, Touring whatever you want to call it, is expansive. Expansive for many reasons. Yes you can do it in a Hi-ace van like some hippy, or you can do it safer, more comfortable, and see far more in a 4x4. Look at it like a plane flight overseas. If you cant afford the insurance, you cant afford the trip really. Not trying to offend you here, just playing devil's advocate on spending a lot of money on something that turns out to be what you wished you didn't have. I'm guessing if your happy with a black top tourer a 2wd with locker would be ample.

Last edited:

Flys Lo

Adventurer
I think it does come down to what your plans are - and how ambitious you want to be. I met an E series Falcon on the Old Telegraph Track, have heard stories of people crossing the Simpson in 2wd VW Kombi's, and heck even "Trophy Trucks" that usually win the Baja 1000 are only 2wd. All of these vehicles are a bit different to pull out when buried to the axles in soft sand than a 6 tonne, underpowered truck.

If budget is your concern, perhaps look at alternatives than the typical Japanese cab over 4x4's that have crazy resale value. The old Acco 4x4's might be a good option. Slow, cumbersome and noisy - but you'll have a good story.
If you can't find a suitable 4x4 truck within your budget, I would personally look to downsize to a 4x4 ute - mostly because on trips I want to get away from everything and everyone, and in a vehicle that doesn't have 4x4 (particularly a heavy one), I don't feel that I can do that.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Think of it this way. 2wd works right up till it dosen't.
Then 4wd become priceless.

Here is one more prospective just because " you can make it" in 2wd does not mean you are not beating the hell out of your truck to do it.
Hell when you drop massive amounts of money on tires why spin them if you dont need to. Why hit that slight up hill at speed just to make it and put more wear and tear on the rig.
It is more then worth it keep saving.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
Hi,
We only use 4wd a few times a year in our Canter but it is those times that you need it to find the better camp spots .
We did Cape a York last year and yes you could have done it with a 2wd but you may not be able to get into sum of the great camp spots or places.
It all depends on where do you want to go and what do you want to see .

Most 2wd Canter tippers in oz have LSD diffs in them.
But most of these tippers have been used pretty hard.

What is your approx budget?
There are sum good used 4wd a Canters on the the market for fair prices.

A lot of older truck have manual diff locks.

Like Flys lo said a Acco would be a great old truck 4x4 or 6x6 just slow but if you got the time who cares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier