Is 4WD necessary in a Light Truck? Diff Locks Sufficient?

gait

Explorer
I figured I bought 4wd to get us out of trouble. But driving through a few km of soft sand because it was in the way of getting from A to B, and crossing creeks with only one other vehicle per day in sight seemed like I was pushing the boundaries a bit. Well worth it.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yet another factor in figuring out the 4x4 or 4x2 issue - one of the major reasons that I like four wheel drive is it lets me get into places that I could have gotten into with a simple two wheel drive rig - but I'd beat the hell out of the 4x2 getting there. 4x4, and even better 4x4 with a good low range ratio will preserve the vehicle, driver, cargo and marriage quite a bit longer than 4x2.

Then again, when you've got a serious 4x4, and you do manage to get stuck....it's often stuck in a place where you can forget about getting help. It's all on you at that point. "Part of the entertainment".

Overland Hadley

on a journey
A good point is noted above.

4x4 comes with low range, 4x2 does not. Low range is especially a good thing when loaded with a heavy camper.

Fugly

Adventurer
Mate

You are in Broome....
The gateway to The Kimberley...
When the Pindan gets wet it turns to slush....
Same as it does here in The Pilbara...
You will be glad to grab that stubby lever and keep moving....
Basically if it is not 4wd and diesel it is not worth owning...
My 2bobs worth....

Cheers
Fugly

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
A good point is noted above.

4x4 comes with low range, 4x2 does not. Low range is especially a good thing when loaded with a heavy camper.

I agree. The low range gives you some very nice maneuvering gears. I have had plenty of times when I've shifted into low range with my front hubs unlocked just for better control.

canter tourer

Adventurer
I have driven some seriously crazy places in 2wd fire trucks fitted with no spin diffs, that I didn't think it would go, but, I have gone to some ridiculous places, creating our own tracks through the bush and with significantly greater control and mechanical sympathy in 4wd fire trucks. IMHO there is no other choice than 4wd if you intend to leave well made roads as it's the ability to have that control and mechanical sympathy that will get you home again and your truck in one piece. Horses for courses.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: it's kinda like flying in a small plane--

Is a parachute really necessary ?--nope, but

When something outta the ordinary happens, don't you feel better if you have one ??

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

unkamonkey

Explorer
One of the things I was told years ago is that 4X4 will just get you in twice as far before you get stuck. I can do many Jeep trails in my CJ3B in 2X4 because of the Powerlock rear axle. My father got the old '62 Suburban into many places because of the Powerlock it had.
I have pulled a few 4" trees out in my yard with the FG,(yes, you can spin all of the tires on pavement in low range) then again I've gotten stuck in the middle of the road on an inch of ice, I had to call my neighbor to come the 1/2 block to get me moving, all of about 3 inches of pull was all I needed. I think it was a payback, I got a call from him while I was on the way home from hunting camp, his studly 1 ton crew cab diesel 4X4was stuck up at his mountain property, Um, Ya got a couple of beers? I don't think I even locked the front hubs in until I was within a mile of his property despite the 8" of snow.
Another old saying, Ain't a horse that can't be rode, aint a rig that can't be rolled and to add to it, ain't a rig that can't be stuck.
To get back to the OP, depending on the vehicle, tires, driving skills you can probably do 99% of the roads you want to without any issues.

Stafford

Thanks for all the replies, I think that Im going to want to not be limited by the 2WD. I like to get away from the crowds, get onto the beach, and the idea of desert crossings is awesome too. Not having to flog it to get up the other side of that creek crossing is important too for my cargo. Whats a bit more saving really, bugger it Ill go 4WD. A canter, an NPS300, or a bit bigger Hino 500 or Isuzu FTS550.
Getting there!

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Thanks for all the replies, I think that Im going to want to not be limited by the 2WD. I like to get away from the crowds, get onto the beach, and the idea of desert crossings is awesome too. Not having to flog it to get up the other side of that creek crossing is important too for my cargo. Whats a bit more saving really, bugger it Ill go 4WD. A canter, an NPS300, or a bit bigger Hino 500 or Isuzu FTS550.
Getting there!
Had a 2wd for a long time and it got us everywhere we wanted to go. However, we now have a 4wd and I'd never go back. Did over 200 miles of dirt for our New Years trip and on the way home stopped to spend the night next to a lake. As we were driving near the shore looking for a spot to set up it suddenly got soft from mud. It was nice to shift to 4wd and drive out of it. Think you're making a good choice.

peneumbra

Explorer
@Stafford: Are you aware that it is ILLEGAL to live in Western AU without 4x4?

Just go to the Kenworth dealer in Perth and have him order you a nice C500 6x6...

KMG

Adventurer
Everyone mentioned rain, mud, sand, and other poor off road conditions as why a 4x4 is needed. I want to add that you can be on a good 2 wheel drive asphalt road and set up camp and wake up to 8-12 inches of snow and now you are stuck until the road condition improves. It's not just for off road use.
K

OutdoorAZ

I had a 2wd 98 tacoma (5lug) up until a few months ago. I got it into some stupid places and only got stuck in sand. It had a 3 in lift and 31" tires, momentum was my friend! Most things i could get up/through if i hit them fast enough and kept it in high rpm's.

Now i have a 4x4 2000 tacoma and i dont have to beat on it like i did my last one to get places. I just put it in 4x4 and move on effortlessly.

I was driving through a local place, sycamore wash area, in my new(ish) truck in 2wd locked having fun in the gravel/sand. The rear end starred to dig so i slowed, put it in 4HI and the truck walked right out no problem. I love having 4x4, it makes a HUGE difference!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94