Replacement crankset recommendations?

fortel

Adventurer
I'm looking for recommendations for replacing the Truvative Elita crankset and GXP bottom bracket on my 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp. The bike is my all-surface ride - gravel roads, crushed stone rails-to-trails, pavement, etc.

The rest of the drivetrain is Shimano 105, and while its not exotic it is dang near bombproof and works great. But the Truvative crankset is absolutely junk, almost as bad as the Avid Elixer disc brakes that came on my 2009 Stumpjumper. The main problem is a horrible creaking with each and every single pedal stroke that is originating in the crappy fit of the spider to the shaft on the drive side. I had hoped it was a worn BB. But I replaced the BB, checked for any frame cracks, and totally degunked and re-greased everything and the problem remained. Digging around old bike forum posts from 2009 to 2011 I found quite a few mentions of this exact problem with these cranks. The shaft is press fit into the spider on the drive side and there is no apparent way to adjust it. So the spider is flexing with each pedal stroke and lets face it, life is just too darn short to ride a noisy bike.

The crank has 48/34 rings. There is a Shimano 105 double with 50/34s and that seems the obvious choice at first glance. I know the drill with a drivetrain that has miles on it - I'll replace the chain and cassette too so I'm not mixing new rings with a worn chain and cassette. Obviously a new BB will be in order also. But other than the 105 crank, there may be other good options out there that I'm missing that you could share. Thanks

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I have never, and I really do mean never, had issues with any Shimano components and I'm not a component loyalist. I'd go with the 105 crank.

fortel

Adventurer
Chris

X2 on Shimano components. Hate to bash the SRAM empire too bad but my own personal experience is that with a mixed component group invaribly the weak links are the SRAM/Avid/Truvative parts. I'm a fan of 105 because the stuff just plain works, and since the rest of the drivetrain is already 105, I most likely will go with the 105 crank and 50/34 rings.

I'm coming off detached retina surgery with some permanent vision issues that have me a little leary of the rocky, rooty singletrack around here at the moment, so the Tricross is currently my primary ride so I can be on more predictable surfaces. But dang its hard to head out on a ride when the creaking starts with the first pedal stroke and doesn't end until the cranks stop turning.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I think there's just a different culture of design and manufacturing between Shimano and SRAM. It doesn't lead me to believe SRAM is inferior, but just prone to more kinks during the production life of a component. So dire was their Avid brake debacle, they're now branding more units with SRAM as the mere mention of the word "Avid" is enough to bring tears to some eyes.

reachdean

Observer
You've already decided, but yeah, Shimano is the way to go. I'm someone who prioritizes stuff that works ahead of brand loyalty, and after 7 years working as a bike mechanic I retired from that life with the firm experience that Shimano stuff just works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz