Chinese Knock-offs, at 1/4th the price

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Landwind X7

"......Land Rover just launched their Chinese-built Evoque at the Guangzhou Auto Show, while a few feet away, copycat LandWind X7 offered the same design at quarter of the price......"

What did Land Rover expect?

newhue

Adventurer
Good ol China, thinks of nothing, won't float it's currency, but sucks our western desires for consumption in like a black hole. It's going to be interesting over next 20 years.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Good ol China, thinks of nothing, won't float it's currency, but sucks our western desires for consumption in like a black hole. It's going to be interesting over next 20 years.

You said a mouthful there brother down under!

newhue

Adventurer
Yes the mind boggles. With their lack of respect for intellectual property it seems they are happy to, and can copy anything. Furthermore with an army of 300 000 000 it makes you wonder who can say stop it.

Ray_G

Explorer
Just keep in mind they spend more on internal defense than external...shows you a lot about where their fears/priorities are. Furthermore their practices and actions throughout the world make the US 100yrs ago seem elegant and culturally sensitive.

A.J.M

Explorer
They made a copy of an X5 a few years ago. BMW went in and tried to raise a law suit. Got thrown out.

I did see a German car review of a 5 year old X5 copy. This thing was falling apart with rust showing, the drive train was in bad shape and the general build quality would have made a 70s British Layland manager wipe away a tear! :D
It got blown up at the end of the review.

Expedition Leader
I did see a German car review of a 5 year old X5 copy. This thing was falling apart with rust showing, the drive train was in bad shape and the general build quality would have made a 70s British Layland manager wipe away a tear! :D

Not unlike the Soviet Lada copy of Fiat 40 years ago.

tacr2man

Adventurer
I cant believe how long its taking the world generally to wake up to the fact that Chinese produced items aren't cheaper, as you have to buy several to last as long as the "more expensive" quality local produced item !

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Developing countries take time to get to a point where they create their own innovations and intellectual property (IP).

The Japanese used to be experts at copying American made products. Then they improved them all while improving their manufacturing processes. After some decades they started developing their own products and IP. Copying went down and their ability to innovate went up. Unfortunately for them South Korea was next (and China was just around the corner).

Now we're dealing with China (skipped over S. Korea - they're experts at knocking off everything, stealing IP but they, like Japan have limited land and human resources so they're limited in their ability to affect the US).

China has been very smart. If a company wants to do business in China and try to sell to the biggest market in the world (1.5B people) their "government" requires you build a plant there. So companies have been doing that for decades. And the Chinese workers inside the plants learned all about the products' designs, manufacturing and everything else since there were inside the plant. The Chinese government didn't have to steal our stuff; the Chinese people are doing that.

But the Chinese government is also smart about what they do next: Once the Chinese companies are successfully competing using the IP they've stolen, the government (which certainly "invested" in the Chinese company) makes them the favored vendor while the US/foreign company is saddled with restrictions and regulations and difficulties in selling inside China (not to mention their costs are higher). So, the Chinese welcome foreign companies to do business in China which ultimately creates Chinese competitors that take away their market opportunities because China wants business to be done with Chinese companies not foreign companies.

China also:
1. Makes it near impossible to take money out of the country so even if a company is successful there the money typically stays there
2. Has government sponsored IT warfare going on. They've been hacking into businesses and governments for years stealing the most confidential information and designs. What they can't steal one way they steal another way.

* The good news (if there is any) is they need the US and the rest of the world.
* Someday they too will innovate and develop their own IP and then they'll have something others can steal
* India is the next country to offer low labor costs. Unfortunately India is a democracy so their government, like ours, isn't nearly as efficient and organized and focused as China's communist, one-party rulers.

newhue

Adventurer
I cant believe how long its taking the world generally to wake up to the fact that Chinese produced items aren't cheaper, as you have to buy several to last as long as the "more expensive" quality local produced item !

At 1/4 the price I'd say most people are happy to upgrade every 3 to 5 years and keep that new car feeling. The trend with new non Chinese cars over 3-5 years, and out of warranty sees them plummet in value as most people are to scared to take them on because they are so complex and expansive to fix. If the chinese warranty is polite and fixes the car than one does have to ask why pay 3 times more.
My cost a bomb hand build Defender is partly outsourced to second world countries to build and supply components, then assembled in the UK. The warranty is good, it will last a long time, but it's far from good value for money. Unique is more accurate, expansive, a dedicated market, but not where the sales are. Down here cheap twin cab Japanese utes made in Thailand sell 1000 to 1, people get a truck that does the job in a marketed way they are happy with, and good change to buy other cheap stuff.

I don't particularly like it that the world has come so focused on profits and consumption, but you guys led the way I have to say. We are well into a restructuring phase of this allocation, and I doubt many of us know where it's heading. Computers, social interaction, and sales is another.

Ray_G

Explorer
Buying up the US Treasury's debt in incredible blocks. Scary that most are blissfully ignorant of that

~8 cents of every dollar of debt (the percentage of which relative to GDP is going down, but most people don't know that either).

Then again other private and foreign entities own a great deal of it too; couple ways to look at that. On the one hand you could say they can control us because of this.
I prefer the adage that if you owe the bank $500 you have a problem. If you owe it $5M they have a problem. Given China's currency issues and other systemic financial structural problems I think it's less of a concern than some are making it out to be.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
Bottom line: China is a drug dealer that needs its addicts.

And if they screw up they could (not realistic but it's possible and worth thinking about in regard to this issue) be isolated by the rest of the world.

It's a global economy and no one wins if everyone else loses (applies to nukes too).

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
"Landwind is an automobile marque owned by the Chinese automaker Jiangling Motor Holding, a joint venture between Changan Auto and Jiangling Motors Corporation (JMC).[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landwind

Major Shareholders in Jiangling:

http://investors.morningstar.com/ow...550&region=chn&culture=en-US&ownerCountry=USA

Major Shareholders in Chang'An:

http://investors.morningstar.com/ow...625&region=chn&culture=en-US&ownerCountry=USA

WHY do people keep thinking it's the Chinese when really, that's an American car company LOCATED IN China.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke