Gen 2.5 cupholders

quailchaser

Observer
First post - I have a Gen 2.5 I purchased about a year ago. I love it except for burning oil and leaking camshaft seals (will rebuild it soon - 200k miles on odo). Besides bending the stock rear bumper, my biggest complaint is the cupholders. My dog broke the cheap stock ones that pop out. Does anyone have any cool ideas like a custom console or something. I love the truck, but I need a place to put my coffee on the trip to the hunting grounds.

Frank in AZ
1998 Montero - Winter package - stock

TheMole

Adventurer
I needed something to put my phone/wallet so I picked up this wedge type at my local O' Reillys and stuck in between the passenger seat and center console. The cupholder themselves seem a bit too wide and shallow so certain sized drinks may move around a bit while driving, but I haven't had any drinks spill yet:coffee:. Might want to look into some of those rubber sleeves for a more snug fitment.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d..._-1_3068&keyword=cupholder&pt=N0320&ppt=C0326
http://www.amazon.com/TSI-Products-...qid=1416621513&sr=8-1&keywords=tsi+cup+holder

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Is the Gen 2.5 cup holders in the same spot as the Gen II? In the armrest with the cover that has a broken retaining strap? That busted retaining strap seems to be pretty consistent among all the Gen II.

1989 Dodge Raider 3.0L
1997 Mitsubishi Montero 3.5L

mapper

Explorer
My 2.5 cupholder works on the driver's side. Passenger side, not so much. I just place a roll of duct tape on the passenger side...works like a charm. You always want duct tape along, now it serves a purpose even while being stored.

JamesW

Adventurer
It's simply a matter of removing one and installing the other.
Mine had a different linkage for propping the lid up on the mk2 cup holders compared to the mk2.5, I'd say a bit of time with a file would make room for it on the new one, didn't bother in the end and just kept the tray instead of the cup holders

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Looks good Grandpa, i like where you put that one on the side of the center console. I'm going go do the same i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chrisblackthorn

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Lack of any place for drinks in this truck is maddening. I may have to go the Grandpa route on this as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior