Overland-ish Tacoma Flippac Build

jds0912

Adventurer
Nice rig. I'm getting those shoes eventually. Unfortunately I've been in the "I'll wear through the BFG's first" camp too (But I drive < 5K miles a year). Maybe next year!

We did meet! We're in Mammoth right now (hotel) on the long way home from Death Valley. Couldn't convince the family to camp in the snow, so the Skifari may be a solo mission (if I'm able to go!).

We will be heading up North this year for Skifari!

http://americanadventurist.com/Forum/showthread.php?1915-Skifari-2015!!

http://northwestoverland.com/forums/topic/skifari-2015/

http://northwestoverland.com/events/skifari-2015/

Here are a few links to follow for Skifari, hope you can make it!

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Nice rig. I'm getting those shoes eventually. Unfortunately I've been in the "I'll wear through the BFG's first" camp too (But I drive < 5K miles a year). Maybe next year!

Thanks! Switching from the BFG AT's was a big decision. I've had them on a few vehicles:

1965 Scout 80 (31 x 10.5 x 15)
2000 Ranger 4x4 (31 x 10.5 x 15)
1972 Scout (33 x 10.5 x 15)
2005 4 Runner (265/75/16)
1992 Montero (33 x 9.5 x 15)
2009 Tacoma (265/75/16)

They were very predictable, long- wearing, and great in all conditions I put them through. If BFG offered the AT's in the 255/85/16 size, I would have stuck with them.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors

Too far north for me! I'm going to use my "vacation without the family pass" for Expo next year. Sounds like you guys will have a great time! Let me know if you ever travel through Tahoe again.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
how did you mount the ARB awning?

I through- bolted it with (3) 1/4" stainless steel carriage bolts, SS fender washers, and SS locknuts.

Drilled through the front and rear (track) extrusion:
15808026079_75fdb171bf_c.jpg

Held the carriage bolt heads with vise grips while tightening the nuts:
15994025835_a3a47ed6fc_c.jpg

The interior:
15374396063_cbbd0d4fca_c.jpg

I filled the holes with silicone before bolting it and put a layer of foam camper shell tape on the back of the extrusion to prevent scratching the fiberglass. I wanted to off- set the middle bolt (vertically), but it would have landed too close to the bottom edge of the thickened fiberglass section above the rear window. If I put the bolts further out, it would have interfered with the hammock pole mounts. I also had to make sure to miss the rivets connecting the front and rear extrusions.

I've heard that there is a steel square tube that runs down the upper sides of the camper. There isn't one in the rear. The bit went through easily and I had to be careful not to over tighten and crack the fiberglass.

So far, it seems solid. Our trip was about 1000 miles with (sadly) only 50 miles off- road. We deployed the awing about 5 times, but never experienced high winds. The rear window still goes all the way up without hitting the closed awning and there's enough space above the extrusion for the rain fly to cover the bottom of the tent. It sits just far enough away from the camper so the swinging zipper pulls miss the fiberglass by a 1/4".

In summary, here were the considerations:

-Vertical placement of bolts on thickened fiberglass above rear window.
-Horizontal placement of bolts in relation to hammock pole mounts and awning extrusion rivets.
-Vertical placement of closed awning to not limit rear window when lifted.
-Vertical placement of awning to allows rainfly to overlap fiberglass/ cover tent.

I can take measurements (and better pictures) if you need them.

Last edited:

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Spaces between paragraphs - PLEASE HELP!

In my last post, I put periods between paragraphs to make it more readable. I did a site and internet search for BB codes and couldn't find a way to put spaces between paragraphs. The codes I tried didn't work. It looks fine on my iPhone, but not on the PC.

Please educate me!

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that info, I asked for an awning for Christmas, I will follow your install if my wife (Santa) comes through. I think several folks would like more photos... it appears you had a well thought out plan!

I through- bolted it with (3) 1/4" stainless steel carriage bolts, SS fender washers, and SS locknuts.

Drilled through the front and rear (track) extrusion:
15808026079_75fdb171bf_c.jpg

Held the carriage bolt head with vise grips while tightening the nuts:
15994025835_a3a47ed6fc_c.jpg

The interior:
15374396063_cbbd0d4fca_c.jpg

I filled the holes with silicone before bolting it and put a layer of foam camper shell tape on the back of the extrusion to prevent scratching the fiberglass. I wanted to off- set the middle bolt (vertically), but it would have landed too close to the bottom edge of the thickened fiberglass section above the rear window. If I put the bolts further out, it would have interfered with the hammock pole mounts. I also had to make sure to miss the rivets connecting the front and rear extrusions.

I've heard that there is a steel square tube that runs down the upper sides of the camper. There isn't one in the rear. The bit went through easily and I had to be careful not to over tighten and crack the fiberglass.

So far, it seems solid. Our trip was about 1000 miles with (sadly) only 50 miles off- road. We deployed the awing about 5 times, but never experienced high winds. The rear window still goes all the way up without hitting the closed awning and there's enough space above the extrusion for the rain fly to cover the bottom of the tent. It sits just far enough away from the camper so the swinging zipper pulls miss the fiberglass by a 1/4".

In summary, here were the considerations:

-Vertical placement of bolts on thickened fiberglass above rear window.
-Horizontal placement of bolts in relation to hammock pole mounts and awning extrusion rivets.
-Vertical placement of closed awning to not limit rear window when lifted.
-Vertical placement of awning to allows rainfly to overlap fiberglass/ cover tent.

I can take measurements (and better pictures) if you need them.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Casejeep: as another alternative, take a look at how user subterran mounted his awning to his camper. He used hinges. I copied his method near exactly, and it worked out perfect for me. I can take the awning off & reinstall it with ease. I now have it off for the winter, but if I wanted to use it it's literally a minute to instal.

I put up some pictures on this thread here.

I've probably driven 5000 highway miles with it mounted back there, no problems. No evidence of being loose/cracking etc etc.

Since install I've also had my awning deployed in Gail force winds without issue. The awning was tied down at the far ends (away from my truck) with 2 guy lines & heavy duty aluminum stakes during that storm though. My awning (CVT) has 2 loops at the top of the support poles for the guy lines.

Last edited:

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Thanks for that info, I asked for an awning for Christmas, I will follow your install if my wife (Santa) comes through. I think several folks would like more photos... it appears you had a well thought out plan!

Thanks! I wish that I could take credit for planning well... I eyeballed it, thought it would fit, and purchased the awning. All of the potential issues came up when I went to install it. It went something like this:
"It's gonna limit the window travel. Oh crap! I'll mount it higher... Oh crap! The rain fly won't go over the fiberglass!"
It took me a 1/2 hour to figure out. In the end, it worked out well and there was no unnecessary drilling.

I'll get more pics tomorrow in the daylight.

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Casejeep: as another alternative, take a look at how user subterran mounted his awning to his camper. He used hinges. I copied his method near exactly, and it worked out perfect for me. I can take the awning off & reinstall it with ease. I now have it off for the winter, but if I wanted to use it it's literally a minute to instal.

I put up some pictures on this thread here.

I've probably driven 5000 highway miles with it mounted back there, no problems. No evidence of being loose/cracking etc etc.

Since install I've also had my awning deployed in Gail force winds without issue. The awning was tied down at the far ends (away from my truck) with 2 guy lines & heavy duty aluminum stakes during that storm though. My awning (CVT) has 2 loops at the top of the support poles for the guy lines.

Nice setup! Very versatile. Too late for me now... I guess that I could use the existing holes and mount hinges if I ever need to remove it. Your truck looks great. Nice build.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Nice setup! Very versatile. Too late for me now... I guess that I could use the existing holes and mount hinges if I ever need to remove it. Your truck looks great. Nice build.

Hey thanks, & yours is looking great too! I'm jealous about your no-windows-looks clean & more useable space. Super organized as well-maybe I'll get there someday...usually after a few days I just end up with a big ole messy "gear bomb" in the back...I bring everything I need, but finding can be...well...."interesting".

On the awning, my reasoning for going with subterran's hinge method was mostly for popping it off the truck in the winter when I likely won't be doing any (or rare) camping. If something fun comes up I can pop it back on quicker than it takes me to tie down my fridge.

If you do decide to go with his hinge method, that third bolt could be used as well for a third hinge & likely be stronger than mine. Or You could skip using that bolt & it'd still be plenty strong.

Or just leave the awning as is, it's a nice clean install!

Overlanerd

Vagabond Outdoors
Hey thanks, & yours is looking great too! I'm jealous about your no-windows-looks clean & more useable space.
My dog would really appreciate the side windows...
It would be cool to have large flip-up doors/ wing windows for an inside/ outside kitchen set-up, and easier access to tools, but I can't bring myself to cut a large opening in the side. You already have the openings...

Super organized as well-maybe I'll get there someday...usually after a few days I just end up with a big ole messy "gear bomb" in the back...I bring everything I need, but finding can be...well...."interesting".
Thanks! It is difficult keeping things organized. there is always a large Action- Packer worth of stuff my wife adds to the cargo after I'm done packing. It makes accessing things difficult. Trying not to block the compartment doors, leaving space for my dog, and trying not to obstruct the rear view is a challenge. I was used to a larger camper, less gear, and the additional stuff required with 2 kids. Here's a link to my old setup:

http://expeditionportal.com/botm-scout-ii-four-wheel-camper/

On the awning, my reasoning for going with subterran's hinge method was mostly for popping it off the truck in the winter when I likely won't be doing any (or rare) camping. If something fun comes up I can pop it back on quicker than it takes me to tie down my fridge.

If you do decide to go with his hinge method, that third bolt could be used as well for a third hinge & likely be stronger than mine. Or You could skip using that bolt & it'd still be plenty strong.

Or just leave the awning as is, it's a nice clean install!
If I ever install a longer side awning, that would be a great option. I could interchange the awnings and move the longer one to the rear in inclement weather. It would also be easier to swap the awnings than to move/ re-level the truck.

uscg2008

Explorer
I mounted my awning to my trailer the same exact way. I do need to double check for leaks after I put the silicone on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles