Toyota LandRaider project buildup

mikesta

Didn't get a ton done today but got the fiberglass released from its old foundation. Vacation week so I have to get some naps in too. done for the day.

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 49
  • truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    205.9 KB · Views: 50
  • liftoff.jpg
    liftoff.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 46
  • mock.jpg
    mock.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 47

mikesta

few more.

Attachments

• land raider 3.jpg
    land raider 3.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 43
  • land raider1.jpg
    land raider1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 43
  • land raider 2.jpg
    land raider 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 44

westyss

Explorer
Man! I thought you said you were lazy! Thats not looking lazy at all, keep it up!

How did you get the truck out from under the camper with the tractor in the way? Slide it sideways?

mikesta

haha, I thought about ripping it out with my other 80's winch but it was easier than that.... Handy man to the rim, Jack up 3 clicks, remove ramp, go to other side, repeat. Then a 8 pt turn out with the truck. My Old man is here so it was easy with 2 people!

mikesta

I cant wait too.. Have priorities though, today i just stripped the 86 sunrader and took frame and cab to scrap. Hate clutter nd it doesnt takelong to collect....maybe tomorrow.

Henry_G

Observer
Subscribed!

How did you remove the camper from the truck body? I'm doing something similar but I don't have access to a tractor, forklift, etc. This will need to be done in my two car garage. Did you lift the entire camper, and lower the truck portion?

mikesta

It was actually pretty easy.
1. Rear wheels on ramps or jack stands
2. Disconnect everything (gas line, propane lines, electrical, mounts, unscrew from cab to shell *pry away to make sure etc.)
3. I sawzalls the frame extension (put on by toyota to extend for camper) and then secured it to the underside of the camper.
4. Lifted with 1 Handyman (on bumper... part of frame extension)
5. stacked up some blocks (these should be outside your shell to avoid doing it twice cause you'll have to back another rig up to it)
6. You will have to figure out how to lift the front off, perhaps a rope/chain around your garage trusses
7. Lift front up
8. Now jack up rear axle and remove ramps
9. Roll truck out.

Good luck, its easy with the right tools, attempted once before without a tractor and it was tough, never succeeded.

mikesta

What would Poo do?

Ok, so I think its going to work. I wanted to rush in and cut up that sacrificial cruiser body, but glad I didn't. I've been "Thinking" and processing how I want to do this... and this is without researching... and these are subject to change

(1). vehicle that can safely seat 8/transport 8 and when you get there (I will settle for 6 though), sleep 6 inside and 2 on the roof in a rooftop tent.
(2). ability to take a dump and flush it.
(3). possibility of getting clean so a shower will be key
(4). 2 burner cook top for food (electric)
(5). Rolltop construction Beds. Yes, bunks that roll into a container for travel
(6). Lightweight construction is a must so interior aluminum framing that can be reconfigured easily if needed (kids hate it or move out of the house)
(7). Clean Frame up for storage (inner and outter LC frame)
(8). Potential air bag suspension only for as needed situations.
(9). 500 watts of solar with 6 6volt batteries
(10). Rooftop rack
(11). Rooftop water collector
(12). Possible solar heater collector

Avoiding anything that runs on Propane
Avoiding a generator (but would like water powered generation dodad that could easily be hooked up the the rv):ylsmoke:

This is an RV, but its also on a very capable vehicle which should be able to get pretty deep in the wilderness and boondock for months at a time if wanted.

mikesta

Yep, long overdue, but I'm still over my head with business. Selling the farm so had to move the wrecked cruiser I have *using as template for build* and the camper... so In 3 hours I chopped it, and quickly threw it up on top to move it over to my new residence... It will likely sit till the winter, but My 2400' shop can accomidate it for the build... Just have too many other priorities than this play toy. Once I get it mocked up and the floor built I'll know where to cut a Nice K294 one up and swap the camper over. Hope this helps... its pretty close to the correct wheel base and when done will be about a foot lower.

0703151046a_resized.jpg0703151046_resized.jpg0703151046d_resized.jpg0703151047a_resized.jpg0703151047b_resized.jpg0703151047c_resized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles