flexible Solar panels

BusDriverStu

are flexible solar panels at a point where they are as efficient as rigid ones? I have a fiberglass hightop roof on my chevy astro and the flexible panels seem like a perfect option for me. specifically what i have in mind would be to use 2 100W Renogys ( http://www.directron.com/rng100db.html ) and maybe one more 50 watt if i can fit it...

life would be far easier if all i had to do was glue these down and drill a few holes for the wires rather than worry about rigid panels catching wind and stressing a fiberglass roof (and i know you'd anchor them down with wood but it still concerns me)

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I used thick aluminum angle brackets on the fixed panel and large fender washers inside. It's all sealed up with 3M 5200. I have zero worries about stressing the fiberglass. Having a boat background things like cleats, swim platforms and ladders are mouted the same way without problems. The other benefit for me in Arizona is the shade on the roof it provides. That flexible panel will catch a lot of heat and transfer more of it inside. I do like the cheap price you found and it's not a bad way to go if heat is not a problem but I don't think you should use the stress of a raised mount as a deciding factor. Good luck.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
With those Renogys, the backing is flexible, the cells are not - they are regular glass monocrystalline.

I agree with Stump.

I've got a Fiberine bubble top on my camper van and I wouldn't have any worries about bolting solar to it. For one thing, it's got wooden stringers in between the inner and outer shells, so I'd just drill through those for the throughbolts.

And yea, gluing those to the roof would be like painting part of the roof black. Might not be a big deal, depending on where you are. Solar puts out less the hotter it gets, so having airflow under the panels is a good thing.

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
My Flex panels have been working great so far, mounted them onto a aluminum panel then onto the roof. The cutouts in the panel provide cooling for the cells and the whole assembly provides shade on the roof of the van keeping the interior cooler. This setup is 330W (three 110W flex panels).

P6273672.jpg

P7033875.jpg

P7033879.jpg

Hodakaguy

The Rover Shop

Explorer
Hodakaguy.. That's a sweet setup you've got on there, 330 wats is a shoot load of potential current, why so much..I have one single glass unit at 120 watts and found it to be more than enough.. I see you are on ADV rider, I used to be on there under DirtDuc...until I got kicked off for 2 lifetimes....lol...

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Why so much solar? Look at the license plate! Washington state has a lot less sun than the "Sunshine State." :)

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
I'm running a 12v compressor fridge and a Propex heater unit at night. 330W is overkill on a sunny day for sure, but when the weather conditions are less than ideal I'm still getting usable power out of this setup where a smaller setup would fall short. :)

Hodakaguy

BusDriverStu

Van.jpg

that is a sweet setup! I wish i could copy it - but my roof isn't flat - see the large bump up front that flattens out about in the middle of the middle window.Just enough space to fit 2 (possibly three) flexible panels... :(

great write up from that link Diplo!!

Last edited:

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Looks like you could so something similar if you used some Yakima roof rack towers to raise the assy up high enough so the whole panel setup clears the roof.

Hodakaguy

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
My Flex panels have been working great so far, mounted them onto a aluminum panel then onto the roof. The cutouts in the panel provide cooling for the cells and the whole assembly provides shade on the roof of the van keeping the interior cooler. This setup is 330W (three 110W flex panels).

That's perfect! Very very nice.

Are those the Renogys at 3 pounds each?

Who made the mounting plate?

How are the PV modules attached to the mounting plate?

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
That's perfect! Very very nice.

Are those the Renogys at 3 pounds each?

Who made the mounting plate?

How are the PV modules attached to the mounting plate?

Thanks, It's really worked well so far.

I believe they are the Renolgy cells, my friend bought a group by directly from China on them so I purchased them through him. He designed the mount for the panels in CAD then I had a local fab shop water jet all the parts I needed to build the assy. The panels are screwed to the aluminum mount using small self taping screws and washers, it's very secure and easy to remove a panel if needed.

More info on the panel setup in my build thread, starting on this page: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802924&page=47

Hodakaguy

BusDriverStu

Hodakaguy, why did you have the base fabricated when you could of got rigid panels? Was weight important to keep the pop top from being too heavy mostly?

now i find myself interested in this 315W panel for $310 locally... http://www.altestore.com/mmsolar/Others/SW315 datasheet.pdf

going to cut a cardboard template tomorrow and see how it fits on my roof... maybe i should make a new thread since i've already lost my faith in flexible panels - lol

Hodakaguy

Adventurer
Hodakaguy, why did you have the base fabricated when you could of got rigid panels? Was weight important to keep the pop top from being too heavy mostly?

now i find myself interested in this 315W panel for $310 locally... http://www.altestore.com/mmsolar/Others/SW315 datasheet.pdf

going to cut a cardboard template tomorrow and see how it fits on my roof... maybe i should make a new thread since i've already lost my faith in flexible panels - lol

I went with the flex panels mainly because I wanted a low profile setup that hugged the roof line and put out a lot of power in a small footprint. Nothing wrong with the hard panels if you have the room. If you buy a panel that outputs higher voltage make sure and use a MPPT controller to take advantage of it.

Hodakaguy

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Great thread ! ! !

Many thanks to everyone who posted. I am also working with a fiberglass high roof, but on a rover...

Thank you, Hodakaguy, for the photos and information. You've got a very tidy installation indeed.

Lots of great ideas here !

Thanks also for the links !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94