LR3 Transmission service flush

Mx468

Observer
Updated Breather Tube?

Did you get the updated front diff breather tube?

Attachments

• bt.jpg
    bt.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 19

no-pistons

Adventurer
Did you get the updated front diff breather tube?

I did. My front diff was pressurized the first time I opened it up, so I picked up the updated breather right away. Pretty sad when they cant even get a simple breather right the first time.

JimBiram

Adventurer
My suggestion is to use Redline for the diff fluid. No problems with mine at 168k miles.

Every Day is a Good Day Surfing...Some are just Better Than Others

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A.J.M

Explorer
Strange on the diff oils as my mate and I changed ours in January, the oil on his looked like Coca Cola on colour when drained, he changed it again 3 months later and the new oil was also Cola coloured.

The oil out of mine was so clean I could have poured it back in the top.

Results were the same for front and back. His was dirty and mine was spotless. I have no records to show mine was ever changed as well.
Mine was at 120k and his was at 105k.

Mack73

Adventurer
My suggestion is to use Redline for the diff fluid. No problems with mine at 168k miles.

I would not recommend this on a locking rear diff. Normal diff sure. But locking has additives to make sure the clutches work like they should and don't wear out prematurely.

paroxysym

Adventurer
everything ive ever read has said never do a complete flush on a tranny... I know on my WK as well as all my other vehicles a simple drain and fill of both the tranny and converter with new filters installed upon refilling has suited me just fine. im not sure why this wouldn't be suffice for even a LR3

morrisdl

Adventurer
I just changed my transmission pan, filter and fluid at 105K and what an improvement in shifting. Not that it was bad before, but its like buttery smooth now. There used to be a little clunk when going from coasting to a stop to back on power, but its 100% better than I ever remember now.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
I am so up in the air on this. The old school guy says change it often or not at all. Rover says its lifetime leave it alone.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
They eventually get changed anyways when the pass-through transmission electrical connection starts leaking. To fix that, you have to drop the pan. New pan/filter, new connector pass through with o-ring, new fluid.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
For the guys who worry about flushing, think about this. When your engine is running its turning the trans pump which is constantly pumping fluid thru your trans cooler then back inside the trans. When you flush the trans you are doing the exact same thing except you return new fluid and capture the old. why does this concern people? just curious.

Sooooo.... This is a good discussion. From what I have read, it is definitely not a lifetime fluid. Ploughing arounnd threads for hours on through the Disco3 board has convinced me of this. Secondly, now that I want to do a flush, who knows of a centre that does one west of Philadelphia? I know, the most common answer is "find a transmission shop with a bunch of Bee Emms (btw, do you know BMW make cars?) and Mercs out front". Which is a good answer, but not too specific. I spoke to an Aamco shop who said they would not do it. The prejudice the chappy displayed was pretty entertaining. "they do it in England? pfft! That's crazy!":costumed-smiley-007

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
Sooooo.... This is a good discussion. From what I have read, it is definitely not a lifetime fluid. Ploughing arounnd threads for hours on through the Disco3 board has convinced me of this. Secondly, now that I want to do a flush, who knows of a centre that does one west of Philadelphia? I know, the most common answer is "find a transmission shop with a bunch of Bee Emms (btw, do you know BMW make cars?) and Mercs out front". Which is a good answer, but not too specific. I spoke to an Aamco shop who said they would not do it. The prejudice the chappy displayed was pretty entertaining. "they do it in England? pfft! That's crazy!":costumed-smiley-007

I spoke with a few shops about this and the ones that do the service say not to flush after 60k. What they do is
drop the cold oil in the pan and refill.
drive until hot and drop the fluid and change the pan.
Upgrade the sensor Oring
fill with fluid and send it on its way.

That sounds r e a l l y expensive! I know, cheaper than a transmission.
It is even more extreme than a regular pan and oil change.
Funny thing is, is this is how I did my Diffs and transfer case a few days ago.
Thanks for your input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior