Best way to install LED ribbon lights inside truck

v_man

Explorer
I got some of these LED ribbon lights and I'm going to put them inside my 90' 4Runner...

STRIP LIGHTING ROLL.jpg

I mocked them up like this and they look great , they put out enough light to read by , I even got them wired up to a little remote control....

lights.jpg

The lights come with an adhesive backing , but I'm worried in the long run they will just fall off the plastic interior pieces I intend to stick them to. My question is: What would be the best way to permanently mount the lights to the plastic interior? I was thinking using some JB Weld plastic weld , or even zip tying them to the plastic ... any thoughts or tips on mounting lights inside would be appreciated ...

DaveNay

Adventurer
I would cross the JB Weld off pretty quickly...that is the very definition of "permanent".

Your best bet might be some 3M foam tape. Extremely good bonding, yet it could be removed in a pinch.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-2-I...8&qid=1416785255&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+foam+tape

71vWNU1PJQL._SL1200_.jpg

RobRed

Explorer
3m Exterior mounting tape - 5lb. is much better than foam tape for automotive.

I use it all over the place including the 20" LED mounted to my back hatch.

Kiomon

Adventurer
I have done this in my syncro and my mog. Get some 3M VHB tape. You can get it in several widths and it does the job nicely.

java

Expedition Leader
The stuff one the ones I got has held up really well. IIRC it was 3m branded, not foam though, just tape.

dyogim

Explorer
I had the same dilemma when I mounted mine. I figured the heat during the summer would cause the strips to melt and I would see the LEDs hanging. So, I used some gray RTV sealant every 12" or so to help keep it in place. It remained secure until, my 1 yo husky decided to bite the wires and pull one of the strips down. You can't see the sealant but, here's my set-up in my contractor shell.

P1012369.JPG

BrianTN

Adventurer
I used one of the double sided tapes, but am forgetting the exact model. I think it was a VHB variety from 3m.
IMG_5777.JPG

mntnresq

I just used the tape that came on them. On my cherokee I actually stuck it on the headliner right next to the trim, instead of on the trim. It has been on there for about a year and a half with no signs of loosening up.

Not the best picture, but the only one I have on my phone right now.
2ade142016078effa16c1b1efbdcbb11.jpg

JamesW

Adventurer
I have them stuck to the paintwork under my bonnet and they have held up for the past 2 years without peeling,Best thing to do is make sure the surface is totally clean by rubbing some methylated spirit or isopropyl onto the surface to get any contaminants off it.

The way I put it onto the inside was I put it around the plastic bezel on the interior lights. The tape for attaching number plates is good and cheap,and the same diameter as the strip lights themselves

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I see some work next spring for me. I am going to run a strip on my rear glass, along the soundbar and roll cage so when I turn on inside, only the glow shows. have the interior, under hood, glass and exterior on separate switches. I will put the underhood switch under the hood near the front.

I am going to install rock lights on my jeep, and pop up camper for perimeter lighting when camping.

mib1392

Observer
I also put them into the roof of our old camper shell. The original doubleside-tape said 3M, but was what you can expect for 5m on the back of a 10$-LED strip.
I used real 3M (indoor), and it stuck even to the carpet of the shell. So basically any "normal" foam tape does the job. The outdoor one is pretty good, I agree with Rob. If you want something really sticky, get the VHB 4991 on Amazon. It's the stuff that comes with the GoPros and is basically unremovable. Probably overkill for an LED strip and close to unremovable. If you want some inches to try, anytime... I have a 5yd roll and not used it yet (Next Campbell meet - when would that be?).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier