Pansonic Toughbook with GPS

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I have a 2013 JKU Sahara and I have the 6.5" touch screen gps in the dash but I am wanting to get something a bit more detailed as far as maps goes. I have heard of a Topographic Map Program for the laptops. I need to pick up a new hard drive for the Tough book and a GPS device for it. But does anyone have the MOPAR Uconnect Web Kit that turns the Jeep into a Wifi hotspot? I know there is a monthly fee to make it work. Is there anymore info on this that the quadratec website doesnt say about it?

I have a Panasonic Toughbook CF-29. I just need some ideas on a good map program when my fiance and I go out wondering around on trails.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Why do you need wifi if you have a GPS device for your laptop? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought you wouldn't need data with this type of setup?

I've been planning on getting a Bad Elf GPS for my iPad to use with my Avenza maps, so please let me know if I'm wrong.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Why do you need wifi if you have a GPS device for your laptop? Forgive my ignorance, but I thought you wouldn't need data with this type of setup?

I've been planning on getting a Bad Elf GPS for my iPad to use with my Avenza maps, so please let me know if I'm wrong.

I wasnt sure if I needed wifi or not for that program. Thats why I had that on the option block. I just threw out options that way if I needed it the prices wouldnt shock me.

daryn1979

Observer
I've looked into the MOPAR hotspot you're referring to and it's a joke, in my opinion. It serves the same function as a hotspot that you could find at any AT&T or Verizon store- the only wire it uses is to connect it to 12v power in the jeep. If you decide that you need wifi in your Jeep, just pick up a cheap or free hotspot from a store and pay them your $20/mo fee for use. Paying almost $450 for a hotspot these days would be a massive waste of money.

Just my two cents! :D

nnnnnate

Adventurer
What are you hoping to use the maps on the laptop for? Turn by turn directions around town? Backcountry guidance? Your goal for this equipment is a very large factor in what hardware to get and what expectations you should have of that hardware.

naked

I use a Toughbook CF-U1 with a USGlobalSat BU353-S4 USB GPS and Overland Navigator for backcountry navigation, and Microsoft Streets & Trips for city navigation. Hope this helps!

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
What are you hoping to use the maps on the laptop for? Turn by turn directions around town? Backcountry guidance? Your goal for this equipment is a very large factor in what hardware to get and what expectations you should have of that hardware.

I want to use the laptop and GPS for back country guidance. I have the GPS in the dash for streets.

lysol

Explorer
If you can swing paying for a SSD hard drive, do it. It has no moving parts and will make your laptop lightning fast. Also, does your laptop have Bluetooth? Or are you wanting to wire in a usb GPS unit?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I was just going to suggest that as well. You can get an SSD for dirt cheap now. I have them in both my notebooks. They work the bees knees. I am swapping out my 120 in my acer 4810 timeline to a new 512mb version so I don't have to worry about space. In my acer 7720 I have a 120 GB OCZ SSD and a 750 GB harddrive for storage. Love big notebooks, 2 hard drive bays.

Make sure you have Bluetooth, or go with the delorme GPS module for USB ports.

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
If you can swing paying for a SSD hard drive, do it. It has no moving parts and will make your laptop lightning fast. Also, does your laptop have Bluetooth? Or are you wanting to wire in a usb GPS unit?

I dont think the laptop has bluetooth. but I have seen the gps unit that mounts inside the unit.

lysol

Explorer
If it doesn't have Bluetooth, you could just buy the unit. Is this the unit you are referring to?

http://www.bobjohnson.com/panasonic-toughbook-cf-29-bluetooth-board-with-antenna/

One thing though to pay attention to is the computer performance specs. I'm not sure what processor yours has, but they are popular with a 1.2 or 1.4 GHz processor and about 512MB of ram. Now, I've read that you can upgrade up to I believe 1.5GB of ram using both ram slots (i.e. 1GB ram stick in one slot and a 512MB stick in the other). Also I believe you have to use DDR1 PC2700 ram (old...).

Now, if you were to upgrade the ram to max ram (1.5GB) and hopefully you have the faster processor PLUS an SSD hard drive, you might be good to go. The SSD hard drive will help out a lot, but the processor and ram is low even when maxed out. What software are you looking to run? All software has "Minimum" and "Recommended" hardware performance. They will tell you the minimum and recommended CPU (processor) and ram needed to run their software.

Can you answer these questions?

MODEL # (I.E. CF-29XXXXXXX) -
CPU (processor) speed -
RAM (memory) -
OS (Operating System) (i.e. Windows XP) -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz