Looking for a table leg replacement for NS TC800 dinette

mkish

Adventurer
Howdy!

We usually have to use the dinette bed in our Northstar which means detaching the table. It's on 2 pedestal legs and generally a pain. Has anyone found a better option? Thanks!

(I have considered replacing the table with a sheet of plywood that can travel under the seat cushions and some sort of long skinny folding table or a pair of them, but it's hard to beat the sturdiness of this table. The idea of my kids+TV tray on a bed makes me shudder!)

mkish

Adventurer
Thanks Doc. I've considered those (and there's a good discussion on them at WTW) but I think it won't work for us. I'm worried that it'll wobble with such a long table--I think it's 4 ft. long. And then there's the scooting, lots of scooting around the U because there are 4 of us. When we got out camper a few years ago they were using a similar leg (but I don't think it was the Lagun) on the smaller tables but said it wasn't good for the long ones. But the Lagun seems much sturdier.

I'm looking at some gas assist adjustable height pedestals to see if the heights work out. I'll report back if we can figure this out. :)

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Have you seen the Lagun cockpit table leg Northstar is using in the new TC's? About 2/3 way through this article, there's some detailed shots of it. I've been considering upgrading the one in my own TC650.
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2015-northstar-650sc

The guys at Truck Camper Warehouse (local to me) stock them for $250. Not cheap, but I've heard it's by far the best and most sturdy stowaway table leg out there.
That's a nice table leg and camper itself. Makes me want to get a shortbed next life.

freedomrider

Ordinary average guy
That's a nice table leg and camper itself. Makes me want to get a shortbed next life.
The effectiveness of the cam lock on that table will make or break the whole setup. The hand nuts on the table in my 850sc make loosening and tightening the table way too cumbersome. I finally gave up and removed the whole thing. I always thought a quality cam lock should have been used. Glad to see they're now using one. Hopefully this one works as intended.

dizzyspots

Adventurer
No wobble IF you buy a real LAGUN and not the Chinese knock off...I use it on a 4ft table with zero issues and the variety of table positions is a bonus not availabe with the dual tubes...just my 2 cents

mkish

Adventurer
I've purchased but not yet installed or tested a single heavy-duty adjustable pedestal. It can be held at any height within its range and seemed adequately beefy when we were playing with it. We don't have room to go with any positions besides up or down. :) A floor-mounted leg is also important. If you slide into a booth dinette and encounter a kid, you want that kid to be able to slide on over and not worry about hitting a table leg.

Just have to get around to installing it.

mkish

Adventurer
Finally installed the pedestal. Compared to the two-legged setup, it's nice. You can actually slide around the table without hitting the legs. You can even sit at the short ends. Table goes up, table goes down. Easy. Infinitely adjustable height (within the range of course). The original table legs were set onto the floor of the camper and went through holes in the step (or whatever you call that fuzzy board on the floor of the dinette) which aside from their annoyingness from being in the way of seated people, made it a bit of a hassle to get into that storage area. We replaced the step with 3 chunks of plywood. The middle one is fixed onto the step to hold the leg base, the others are just easy to open and reach in. We'll probably have to tweak it some depending on how much they travel. Also found all kinds of stuff under that step. It really WAS inconvenient storage for being in such a prime location.

The only con (that doesn't affect us because we like our table) is that the pedestal is screwed into the table top and into the floor. So it's a permanently mounted table. Or bed. You can't throw it under the cabover bed without unscrewing it.

http://www.springfieldgrp.com/products/grills-and-tables/table-pedestals/3-stage-pedestals/air-powered

BurtC

I too have a NS TC-800 that I am replacing the two fixed post table legs with a Lagun mount. This is the 4' table top.
Question... Where exactly should the Lagun mounting plates be installed? Both table top plate and wall plate.
Found a couple pics online that seem to indicate the wall plate is not center and have no idea where the table top plate is attached.
Looking for measurements for optimal swing.
Thanks in advance.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I've never used my table. It's been in the shed for 16 years. I've got the two leg supported one.
It's just the two of us and we use the storage under the bed for other things.

Joeprunc

Observer
I too have a NS TC-800 that I am replacing the two fixed post table legs with a Lagun mount. This is the 4' table top.
Question... Where exactly should the Lagun mounting plates be installed? Both table top plate and wall plate.
Found a couple pics online that seem to indicate the wall plate is not center and have no idea where the table top plate is attached.
Looking for measurements for optimal swing.
Thanks in advance.

Bump this thread. Looking for advice for mounting location as well. I've got a Northstar TC650. I'm thinking it needs a backing plate, and I really don't want to have the backing plate external. I see my options as...
1) Mount to the side of the bench and use a backing plate
2) glue a wooded board to the middle of the bench and use wood screws to mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles