Simple Questions

Will0051

Observer
I own a 2000 Pathfinder but always wanted a Land Rover. My question is what is the life span of a Land Rover's engine and how many miles is too many miles to start building it up (aftermarket stuff like lift, snorkel, sliders etc). I know about Nissans life span my uncle's 1989 Pathfinder had 32x,xxx miles on it before the engine started to show its age. And what is the most common problem Land Rovers have. All I know about Land Rovers is that their great offroad.

Yorker

Adventurer
Which Land Rovers are you talking about? There can be a vast difference depending what model and what engine they have.

If you mean the aluminum V8s they are a pushrod design and may start to show their age at 150,000 (cam etc) maybe less maybe more depending on the maintenence they recieved. I don't think I've ever seen one with more than 230,000 on it without having some serious work done to it. Has anyone here seen one go farther than that without being opened up?

Will0051

Observer
Sorry, Range Rover and Disco II; V8. If I where to buy one what years should I look for and what milage? Just keep in mind I know almost nothing about Land Rover just the legends

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
How much do you have to spend? If you have less money, then stick with the Disco 1, pre-99. These trucks are simpler, have a diff lock, and are obviously cheaper because they're older. Of course: they're older, so they will have more miles and be that much closer to death.

The Disco 2's are more sophisticated and comfortable. They have a fancy traction control system and no diff-lock. The 99-01 does have center diff lock bits in the transfer case, but the linkage is missing. You can retrofit without too much trouble. The 02-03 actually have the bits missing from the transfer case, so no CDL without changing cases. The 04 is, I think, the ultimate Disco to get if you can afford it. They come with CDL, and they have the fancy traction control which is nice. Particularly the Hill Descent Control since none of the D2's have a manual trans in the US.

It's hard to say how much milage is too much. Because these things are finicky, even a low milage one can be close to death if it hasn't been cared for. I don't think I'd want one over 150k. But even at 30k, you need to make sure it's in good condition.

McRover

I have a 99 disco II with 136,000 and the engine is strong, no signs of age and no major work.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I think in the next decade or so you will start seeing the majority of Disco drivers being hardcore wrench monkeys, just like the Series and Defender guys are now (and to a degree the Classic owners). Their rigs are going to require major maintenance to the engines, if not complete engine swaps, which eliminate the casual owner and country club set. Those will have moved on to LR3s or newer Range Rovers. I imagine quite a few going to the boneyard and crusher, as the complexity and relative cost of components might prove daunting to the average wrencher. Will the basic chassis and body style earn the same blind loyalty required for major surgery the earlier rigs seem to garner? I guess time will tell. I hate to see great rigs die a premature death, and I hope the market shifts towards the enthusiast. I can remember when seeing a hardcore Grand Cherokee was extremely rare, but I've seen more than a couple on the trail as they age and people feel that the vehicle's resale value is less important than their value as a fun machine.

You can get Disco Is for pretty darn cheap these days, and the right owner can make a great, long-term Expedition machine with the right attitude and some choice investments. Scott Brady's D1 is something I'm really looking forward to wheeling with- especially once the engine swap and other mods are done.

In stock form, an average Land Rover is never going to outlast an average Toyota, so you have to decide what is important to you and how far you want to go in terms of investment (time, money...).

Mercedesrover

Explorer
There's no such thing as a V8 Land Rover that's seen 200k without major work or without being shot and unreliable at that age. As far as a 300k V8? Never heard of such a thing. If that's the mileage you're expecting, you're sniffing up the wrong tree.

Will0051

Observer
Im leaning towards Range Rover, Ive found a 2000 with 111,000 miles on it and their asking $6,900. What are the pros and cons of the 2000 model Range Rover? Thanks guys. oh and what kinda mpg will I bo looking at?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
RUN!

The Range Rover P38 was touted as the most advanced truck Land Rover had ever made at that time (1995-2002). The most features, the most options, and the most electronics. As they get older a host of things go wrong. They share virtually nothing with anything else in the LR range and parts and labor are stupid expensive, hence the low resale value. I would steer clear of one of those especially if it is to be your first foray into Land Roverdom.

I like them, but I wouldn't own one.

EDIT:

Pros, it's like driving your comfy living room around. It is still a reasonably good off road vehicle but only after you take out the problematic air bag suspension and replace it with springs.

Cons, cost of any part for it. Which, with that many miles will need replacing. Few places make aftermarket parts for them (armor, bumpers, etc.) and the places that do charge a hefty premium. Plagued by electrical gremlins.

IMO the cons out weigh the pros with the P38. It really does take a special kind of person to own, wheel, and maintain one of those.

MPG:

Highway, bad (16)
City, worse (12)
Combined, terrible (13)

Last edited:

Will0051

Observer
What years would yall reconmend Range Rover and Disco I or II. Prefer CDL, up to $8,500 would be the most Im finishing welding school in 43 weeks then would either head north (AK) or southwest .

Last edited:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Will0051 said:
What years would yall reconmend Range Rover and Disco I or II. Prefer CDL
1995 rangie... the LWB model has a 4.2 engine and the upgraded disco 1 interior. I love my 94 rangie lwb and if I hadn't have found one in such good shape, I would have kept shopping for a 95.

If you are looking at a long range expedition type rover, stay away from the p38 - too much electronics. Yeas, there are the rare p38s out there that will be ok but they will be far and few between. IMHO, of course...:beer:

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
MuddyMudskipper said:
Yep. I was about to make that change but you beat me to it. :beer:
Yeah but you can get everything you need for the swap for under $400 and it takes 6 hours to do the entire swap with a buddy. Heck, that leaves enough money for pizza and beer...:sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles