Best new Subaru for Overlanding - Crosstrek, Forester, or Outback?

machine1

Explorer
Hey Machine1, I was behind y'all this past weekend at Bridgeport OHV, been reading your posts on this forum since I joined, I was in the white Nissan Titan out there. Was definitely cool seeing y'all going through the park.

Hey Kylevd23! We spotted the Titan going past us, nice ride! You were witnessing a recovery situation with the blue Forester. The silver one before it hit the fence, so the lady in the blue one requested that we tow her Forester across the pit so it wouldn't get damaged. The last video I posted was me going through it.

Next time you see us stop and say hi!

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes the Taco is right about that perfect size vs capacity and of course pretty much go any place capacity. I just never looked at them because of the price!
The price doesn't bother me too much...the version I want ACLB, is roughly $28K...though for about the same price I could also get a RCLB Tundra...you definitely get more truck for the money with the Tundra, I do like the Tacoma better for about 90% of the things I do. I am keeping my current 1st gen...Tacoma when I do buy a new truck...so there is that too..

My Uncle had a 2012 Tundra short bed access cab till just recently it was his first and only new car ever! Its not exactly a compact package size wise. He sold it after stumbling onto a mint condition grampas truck 3/4 ton Z1 Chevy with 40,000 miles on it for no joke $5000! I can't blame him basically a new truck for nearly nothing! He sold the Tundra and put his new to him pop top camper on the old/new truck. He's getting about the same mileage as he did with the Tundra but more money in his pocket. He takes the Quad on the trails so truck size isn't a big deal.
Can't beat that deal...you probably don't want to know what I paid for my Trooper...though it is a RWD street queen, it will never see dirt.

But this last summer I joined a Gwagen fathers day weekend trip my friend was leading. Just north of the Rubicon trail area the Sequoia actually impressed everyone the trails were more jeep trail than any sort of road, several times the Sequoia was right at the max limits of size any bigger and I would have been pushing downed trees farther off the trail and bouncing off trees at the corners. Very tight but managed with zero damage. The only weakness was the lack of a rear locker had one rocky off camber spot where I spun opposites and had to do a little road building and two more tries to get through. Lockers for sure!!! In my next rig they just make for far less stress and give you better options when the trail is a bit technical. Going a touch narrower fender to fender than the 07 Sequoia would be nice, length might be unavoidable given I need 4drs and decent seating for 4.

That is cool...the Sequoias are so under-rated by most people.

kylevd23

Observer
Hey Kylevd23! We spotted the Titan going past us, nice ride! You were witnessing a recovery situation with the blue Forester. The silver one before it hit the fence, so the lady in the blue one requested that we tow her Forester across the pit so it wouldn't get damaged. The last video I posted was me going through it.

Next time you see us stop and say hi!

Sounds great, if y'all head out there anytime soon let me know, I'd love to join y'all. It was my first time out there so didn't really know my way around

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I brought my buddy out to an easy trail with his brand new crosstrek hybrid. This was a really easy trail, and he was dragging his chin over every little obstacle. And I'm not sure if the hybrid is carrying extra weight but the same springs as the non-hybrid, but his suspension seemed really soft and every time he came down off of a rock or a bump he would bounce his undercarriage off stuff. Overall, in stock form the crosstrek really can't handle much. Maybe the non-hybrid is different, I'm not sure.

I would go for the forester. I'd say it's the best average of space, comfort, economy and off road ability for an overlander.

But watch out, all new subaru engines drink oil like crazy (yes even the FB25 - but the FB20 is much worse). Subaru is calling 1 quart per 1500 miles "acceptable consumption". But you know, subaru owners don't like to talk about it ;)

Hodaka

Adventurer
We had a Jeep JK that drank oil. 1L in 1000KM or less. That's 600miles.
Jeep called it acceptable.
I don't think 1500 is OK either, though.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
I brought my buddy out to an easy trail with his brand new crosstrek hybrid. This was a really easy trail, and he was dragging his chin over every little obstacle. And I'm not sure if the hybrid is carrying extra weight but the same springs as the non-hybrid, but his suspension seemed really soft and every time he came down off of a rock or a bump he would bounce his undercarriage off stuff. Overall, in stock form the crosstrek really can't handle much. Maybe the non-hybrid is different, I'm not sure.

I would go for the forester. I'd say it's the best average of space, comfort, economy and off road ability for an overlander.

But watch out, all new subaru engines drink oil like crazy (yes even the FB25 - but the FB20 is much worse). Subaru is calling 1 quart per 1500 miles "acceptable consumption". But you know, subaru owners don't like to talk about it ;)

It used to be 1qt per 1,000 miles was industry standard. Keep in mind, these cars are running 0W20 oil, it literally feels like water. It should be no surprise that something that thin is going to burn off a bit between changes. Just lends more credence to a 3,500 mile OCI instead of 7,500 miles.

frank84

Observer

Mine is a '13 non-hybrid manual trans and it has no business being in technical terrain. Dirt roads are a lot of fun, but it gets in over its head real quick if things get even just a little rough. Maybe the Forester would be a better bet and I'd stay away from a manual trans for anything technical with a Subaru. Without low range you'll be slipping the clutch way too much.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Mine is a '13 non-hybrid manual trans and it has no business being in technical terrain. Dirt roads are a lot of fun, but it gets in over its head real quick if things get even just a little rough. Maybe the Forester would be a better bet and I'd stay away from a manual trans for anything technical with a Subaru. Without low range you'll be slipping the clutch way too much.

For a very long time now the experienced Subaru off roader types all knew that the AT with the Torque converter offered the best technical ability given the MT was just geared too high. Heck a good friend has a stupid steep driveway my MT subaru wouldn't even get fully on the driveway before dying vs their old 4spd AT Forester would climb right up the driveway. It was paved had it been anything but rough pavement short of a tank you would never get up the driveway. I liked my 5spd MT Subaru but I knew the biggest risk was getting into something too steep and having zero options for making forward progress!

Browneye

Had a Crosstrek MT for two years, just traded it in for a new colorado 4x4.

A big consideration for us is that they be able to be flat-towed behind a motorhome - our base camp.

Like the subie okay, as mentioned it's great empty, but it bottoms out with a load and is gutless. Last trip out I had a thousand pound trailer behind, going up a dirt road when it got the least bit inclined it could not pull the trailer. Even with TC off. I would have to rev it to three grand and feather the clutch to get it going, and it would grind along for awhile and then grind to a halt. When I stopped the clutch was belching blue smoke with the burn stink. Just wasn't cutting it for what I need for my travels.

New truck is fantastic, also a I4 with 6spd auto, and 2 speed transfer case. Going to work out just great. IT's about 900lbs heavier than the crosstrek so will tow just fine behind the RV.

First post and helllllooooo....:victory:

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I had a 2010 OB Sport for two years and put 45k of hard miles on it.
I guess Gutless and ability are prospective. Mine had the 2.5 with a five speed and I rocked that thing all over utah, up over some of the high passes in CO and into WY and ID. Lot of Dirt miles. Most of it logging roads and such. Had it in deep snow and mud more then once. I recall one winter Off roading up behind Park city and passing guys who were chained up in their tacos.

Car was awesome, when driven it went right along. As mentioned a problem off road was first gear and low range. So I didnt climb anything overly steep. ( Spent a who summer working in wy with it that had a near 15 percet trail up to base camp handled it just fine.

I got rid of it because it could not tow for crap and I had been living out of it for a few months and things were gettign cramped. Went with the taco for hauling wood, dirt and pulling fire wood quads etc.

My plan had been for a set of springs with a spacer lift and some AT's but I got rid of it sooner.

No lie the car went where it was pointed and did it with ease and fully rally style if you wanted it to, and kept pace with any truck unless you needed low range or were on boulders.

I have spent a lot of time looking at the cross trek Thing comes stock with 9 inches of clearance I think.

As some one who did overland, and did live out of their rig, and did take it to evelation and off the pavement often, I was very pleased.
cheers

Regcabguy

Oil eater.

Mine and two other friend's 84-85 Toyota's ate 2.5 qts /3K miles. We complained to the corporate headquarters and were told it was "acceptable". My one friend paraded in front of the dealership with a sign saying something like "My Toyota eats 2 1/2 qts of oil every 3K". He got a new engine. The tech there told him Toyota had a problem and he'd seen many come through. I traded mine off.

My friend's a Subaru dealer. I'll have to ask him about the oil consumption. I'm considering a Forester.

Our group has or had all the above vehicles asked about. My cousin traded his Crosstrek due to lack of power/boringness, but he's used to 400+ hp Subarus. Said it was really practical, though. Just a jacked up Impreza pretty much, though. The Forester seems like a solid choice. Capable, useable power, good aftermarket support. The Outback is a real war wagon. I run a stock Impreza wagon, and I still scoot through sections where my friends Outback drags it's bum a bit, but he doesn't seem to care. We all run hitches, so it's no biggie. All that said, the Outback has the most room, seems the best with hauling a bit of weight, and is still pretty capable. I ask myself the same question, as I wonder what I'd replace the Impreza with when the day ever comes. I'm partial to the Outback if I'm keeping it stock. If I'm going to lift it/beef up the suspension, I'd also consider the Fozzy. The H6 is pretty tempting in the Outback, though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94