Best new Subaru for Overlanding - Crosstrek, Forester, or Outback?

Sisyphus

Adventurer
What brand new Subaru would you think would be best for overlanding when considering cost, mpg, wheelbase, storage, and stock ride height?

EMrider

Explorer
Probably the new Forester. Shorter wheelbase, better departure angles, x-mode for better offroad control, reasonable cargo volume.

All that said, any new Subaru would be good as an overland vehicle IMHO. Not a serious 4x4 drivetrain, but a capable AWD system that can handle a wide variety of terrain. Ground clearance may be a limitation, so don't get into anything too sketchy. And cargo volume is going to be tight for groups of 4 or more.

A 2010 Outback is my DD and it could do the job on 85-90% of my backcountry trips.

Good luck.

R

machine1

Explorer
The Forester has the better approach angle than the Crosstrek and Outback. It also has more power and a larger interior than the Crosstrek. We just took a couple of Foresters and a Crosstrek out into the woods.

This is in my old gen Forester (2013 SH9):

WMDunkin

Adventurer
I would say forester for the approach and departure angles. Also add a lift kit and some larger tires you should be able to hit base Wrangler ground clearance. And with X-mode you should be able to handle anything that looks like a road. I wont climb rocks and cross major ditches/rivers, but I will able to get you through nearly everything.

mallthus

Pretty good at some stuff
Concur with others on the Forester. Also, angles can be improved if you're willing to trim the front spoiler a bit. Additional clearance (0.5" to 2") can be achieved cheaply with suspension spacers, although I can't speak to how the vehicle will handle after spacers have been placed.

Finally, I would recommend the XT (turbo) models if you're planning to run unimproved roads in the high country. The Subaru mills aren't terribly gutsy at sea level. Add 10,000 feet and they're positively anemic. The turbo offsets both their native sluggishness and the effects of altitude.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
What brand new Subaru would you think would be best for overlanding when considering cost, mpg, wheelbase, storage, and stock ride height?

I spent 12yrs camping and hauling Triatholon crap all over the west and towing a small racing sailboat with the Legacy GT Limited 5spd. Today we have a 2010 Outback 2.5 CVT replaced the Legacy at 180,000 miles.

My thoughts are this
#1 The current Forester and the Impreza / XV sit on the same small platform with a fairly limited load capacity. For solo extended trips you need more load carrying ability without loosing your ground clearance.

The new OB more or less has the same off road ability in stock form as the Forester and XV however you get a larger platform with a higher load capacity. In my case two parents two kids, roof box and road trip 700 miles to Grandma's house we are packed heavier than I would want to be if I were doing Overlanding efforts given I loose some critical ground clearance with that packed weight. Solo and packing smart I can see making the OB work without loosing too much to weight gain vs suspension compression and ground clearance. Also the OB is much easier to sleep in the back of than the above two choices.

Power! The XV just lacks the power needed, the 2.5 CVT OB is good but if your climbing major high altitude passes the 3.6 is the right choice.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
I say the Outback is choice. It's large enough for my gear without being cramped and you can just deal with the angles.

And that 3.6L....

kylevd23

Observer
Hey Machine1, I was behind y'all this past weekend at Bridgeport OHV, been reading your posts on this forum since I joined, I was in the white Nissan Titan out there. Was definitely cool seeing y'all going through the park.

Clutch

<---Pass
I spent 12yrs camping and hauling Triatholon crap all over the west and towing a small racing sailboat with the Legacy GT Limited 5spd. Today we have a 2010 Outback 2.5 CVT replaced the Legacy at 180,000 miles.

>snip<

The new OB more or less has the same off road ability in stock form as the Forester and XV however you get a larger platform with a higher load capacity. In my case two parents two kids, roof box and road trip 700 miles to Grandma's house we are packed heavier than I would want to be if I were doing Overlanding efforts given I loose some critical ground clearance with that packed weight. Solo and packing smart I can see making the OB work without loosing too much to weight gain vs suspension compression and ground clearance. Also the OB is much easier to sleep in the back of than the above two choices.

I rented an OB for a 2 week mountain bike trip we did in the Northwest, there were only two of us....I was so sick of that car by the end of the trip...wanted to be back in my Tacoma in bad way. Even my Extra Cab Tacoma feels tight at times with only two of us.

I like the Suby...be ok for commuting and running around town. I couldn't travel in it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I rented an OB for a 2 week mountain bike trip we did in the Northwest, there were only two of us....I was so sick of that car by the end of the trip...wanted to be back in my Tacoma in bad way. Even my Extra Cab Tacoma feels tight at times with only two of us.

I like the Suby...be ok for commuting and running around town. I couldn't travel in it.

Yes the Forester and the Impreza wagon XV are narrow and fairly tight for extended trips. The OB the new one Subaru worked on the departure angle alot, its better than my 93 Landcruiser on 34inch tires regarding departure angles. The front end they worked on it some its better than the prior 09 and earlier models and has more or less the same limitations regarding soft spots as the XV and the Forester. The OB comes with the 3.6 and Xdrive that would be the best combo for high mountain passes and off roading at altitude. For lower elevation stuff the 2.5 which is what I have does a decent job. Its no Tacoma but it can cover major ground regarding pavement and dirt road at a level of comfort and mileage that the Tacoma can't touch. I really like the Tacoma by the way. I have a 07 Sequoia limited 4x4 right now which replaced my really nice 93 Land Cruiser < big mistake selling that old LC should have kept it. The Sequoia works great for the family needs and is basically just a big 4runner no lockers on it but a rear locker would make it as capable as I would ever need.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes the Forester and the Impreza wagon XV are narrow and fairly tight for extended trips. The OB the new one Subaru worked on the departure angle alot, its better than my 93 Landcruiser on 34inch tires regarding departure angles. The front end they worked on it some its better than the prior 09 and earlier models and has more or less the same limitations regarding soft spots as the XV and the Forester. The OB comes with the 3.6 and Xdrive that would be the best combo for high mountain passes and off roading at altitude. For lower elevation stuff the 2.5 which is what I have does a decent job. Its no Tacoma but it can cover major ground regarding pavement and dirt road at a level of comfort and mileage that the Tacoma can't touch. I really like the Tacoma by the way. I have a 07 Sequoia limited 4x4 right now which replaced my really nice 93 Land Cruiser < big mistake selling that old LC should have kept it. The Sequoia works great for the family needs and is basically just a big 4runner no lockers on it but a rear locker would make it as capable as I would ever need.

I like the Subies...was seriously considering on getting one...they just aren't useful "enough" if you know what I mean. So I have to take a nick on mileage with the Taco...wish it achieved better fuel economy, but oh well. Thought of getting a Forester and lifting it...kinda to "make it work". Where as a bone stock Taco...can go a lot of places right off the dealer lot.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I like the Subies...was seriously considering on getting one...they just aren't useful "enough" if you know what I mean. So I have to take a nick on mileage with the Taco...wish it achieved better fuel economy, but oh well. Thought of getting a Forester and lifting it...kinda to "make it work". Where as a bone stock Taco...can go a lot of places right off the dealer lot.

You made the right call

The Subaru has been a great family wagon and pavement road tripper and the light duty camping rig primarily due to its comfort and mileage and ability to handle the lousy weather vs road conditions etc. But its not hard to pack it heavy and basically end up with a fairly limited capability if you wander off to more challenging dirt roads. Empty they can do some surprising rough stuff but as aways especially with the long trips to remote spots that payload capacity factor comes into play.

By design my shopping for a camping rig was 1200lbs or under empty given I had lots of experience towing with the Subarus mainly our 1800lb racing sailboat that was trailer and boat all up that was near the max limits on the Subarus suspension and cooling system for any sort of hot temp location. Our Life Time 4x6 trailer 900lbs empty and probably about 1200lbs packed is about perfect we run between 21-26mpg averages pending speeds and climbs etc. Also our suspension still has some compression left on the Subaru to avoid dragging the car through rough spots. For sure not a trail wagon! But works great for the logging road dirt road stuff. The Sequoia works well for the Trail bashing but its right at the outer limits on SIZE even just an extra inch here or there and the Sequoia is just too damn big for trail stuff.

Clutch

<---Pass
You made the right call

The Subaru has been a great family wagon and pavement road tripper and the light duty camping rig primarily due to its comfort and mileage and ability to handle the lousy weather vs road conditions etc. But its not hard to pack it heavy and basically end up with a fairly limited capability if you wander off to more challenging dirt roads. Empty they can do some surprising rough stuff but as aways especially with the long trips to remote spots that payload capacity factor comes into play.

By design my shopping for a camping rig was 1200lbs or under empty given I had lots of experience towing with the Subarus mainly our 1800lb racing sailboat that was trailer and boat all up that was near the max limits on the Subarus suspension and cooling system for any sort of hot temp location. Our Life Time 4x6 trailer 900lbs empty and probably about 1200lbs packed is about perfect we run between 21-26mpg averages pending speeds and climbs etc. Also our suspension still has some compression left on the Subaru to avoid dragging the car through rough spots. For sure not a trail wagon! But works great for the logging road dirt road stuff. The Sequoia works well for the Trail bashing but its right at the outer limits on SIZE even just an extra inch here or there and the Sequoia is just too damn big for trail stuff.

If I only did road trips...the Suby might work...I would have to tone it down how much gear I could take...would have to pack it like a weightweenie backpacker. Me knowing me..."hey, where does that gnarly dirt road go?" Don't have to think too hard of where the Taco can't go. I hear you on the size thing...I am debating on buying a new Taco or a Tundra right now...I can see the Tundra being too big and like the Suby not be able to go some places.

No wonder the resale on Tacos is silly...they are the Goldie Locks of vehicles.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Yes the Taco is right about that perfect size vs capacity and of course pretty much go any place capacity. I just never looked at them because of the price! HA - Was very very close to an early 2006 brand new white 4dr 6spd MT, leather loaded Frontier back in late 2005. But the dealers all wanted nearly MSRP for them. Had the check book out and just didn't do it. I regret not doing it given the loaded trim models in MT format went the way of the dinosaur shortly after that.

My Uncle had a 2012 Tundra short bed access cab till just recently it was his first and only new car ever! Its not exactly a compact package size wise. He sold it after stumbling onto a mint condition grampas truck 3/4 ton Z1 Chevy with 40,000 miles on it for no joke $5000! I can't blame him basically a new truck for nearly nothing! He sold the Tundra and put his new to him pop top camper on the old/new truck. He's getting about the same mileage as he did with the Tundra but more money in his pocket. He takes the Quad on the trails so truck size isn't a big deal.

But this last summer I joined a Gwagen fathers day weekend trip my friend was leading. Just north of the Rubicon trail area the Sequoia actually impressed everyone the trails were more jeep trail than any sort of road, several times the Sequoia was right at the max limits of size any bigger and I would have been pushing downed trees farther off the trail and bouncing off trees at the corners. Very tight but managed with zero damage. The only weakness was the lack of a rear locker had one rocky off camber spot where I spun opposites and had to do a little road building and two more tries to get through. Lockers for sure!!! In my next rig they just make for far less stress and give you better options when the trail is a bit technical. Going a touch narrower fender to fender than the 07 Sequoia would be nice, length might be unavoidable given I need 4drs and decent seating for 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz