SL vs LT tire

java

Expedition Leader
I will probably get crucified for starting Another tire thread.... But we have some very knowledgeable people here. So here goes,

What are the real differences between a Standard load (SL) tire vs a LT tire.(SL not P metric)

I am looking at Duratrac's so I will use them for reference.

255/75/17 SL tire is load index 115 for 2679 lbs.

265/75/17 LT E, is load index 121 for 3195lbs.
265/75/17 LT C, is load index 112 for 2470lbs

So by looking at comparison, the SL tire above appears to be about a D range tire. (maybe somewhere right between c/d)

What are the actual construction differences? Is the SL tire above basically a D range tire?

My current tires are a 275/70/17, LT, C load index 114, rated for 2600lbs. Truck weighs 5,260 with Half tank of gas, me and the normal crap that rides around with me, Rtt, awning, recovery gear etc. Load out for a trip probably adds another 800lbs of people and gear.

briboki

I'm curious as well. I'd like to put the 255/75r17 duratracs on my JKU, would like to know how well they'd hold up in the SL rating. Sidewalls, etc?

eggman918

Adventurer
Thanks for that link, I just put a set of 295/70-17 ST-maxx's on our rig and the wife was a good sport about the cost but she always wants to but the least expensive things out there and this promo clip will help her understand what the extra $$ went into as to her and most of us all tires look basically the same from the outside.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'd like to put the 255/75r17 duratracs on my JKU, would like to know how well they'd hold up in the SL rating. Sidewalls, etc?

I would not recommend the DuraTrac to anyone that counts on sidewall strength.
Goodyear only makes these tires in a 2-ply side wall now even in the LT, E load.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Goodyear only makes these tires in a 2-ply side wall now even in the LT, E load.

I am with you. I was looking at Canadian tires version of the DT. However, after doing some research, I ran for zee hills. Catastrophic sidewall failures even driving on the black top. NO THANKS. I put on my bfgs that are tried and true for many millions of miles. No issues.

java

Expedition Leader
I spoke with good year. What the tech told me is the actual ribbing/fibers in the sidewalls are thicker on a LT. Same number of plus in the sidewalls.

Not sure how true it is, but took the guy probably 15 mins on hold to come up with the answer.

Someone really needs to sawzall the sidewalls of a st maxx and a duratarc and compare.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck

X 1,000,000.

I've got numerous examples from people I actually know (not web hearsay) that have blown/torn multiple sidewalls in mellow (dirt road) terrain.

CJ7nvrstk

I spoke with good year. What the tech told me is the actual ribbing/fibers in the sidewalls are thicker on a LT. Same number of plus in the sidewalls.

Not sure how true it is, but took the guy probably 15 mins on hold to come up with the answer.

Someone really needs to sawzall the sidewalls of a st maxx and a duratarc and compare.

From my understanding, there is no industry standard for sidewall thickness. You can actually havve a 1 ply sidewall that is significantly stronger than a 3 ply.

Good year can eat it. their MTR with Kevlar is a crap tire. Ive ripped sidewalls out of 4 of them and luckily had discount tire repairs certs on them. after the last one i gave up and sold them to a bro truck guy. Now running cooper st and have yet to chunk or rip a sidewall like those crap good years. the Duratrac is worse. Couple guys in my club ran them. Crap mileage and Crap sidewalls with Crap traction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles