Insurance question

Mock Tender

Adventurer
Looking at making the plunge on a newer FG. Talked to a dealer that liked the idea of what I was trying to do; but wanted to forewarn me that I would need to probably get a certificate of design from a body/box installer approving my design and install for insurance companies and against any possible litigation in the event of an accident.

Talked with the company that did Carl Hunter and Biggoolies Bigfoot Fuso mating- he apparently knows his stuff, but has no credentials and no interest in writing up a "proof of design" for a lack of a better word.

The insurance brokers that I have talked to so far can't find it in their policies the need to show integrity of design and build. Seems like they would.

I am very interested in what have been the experiences of the "build your own" and the "mount the already built" members have seen.

Also- anybody know any good frame makers out in the western US- preferably Colorado- but open.

Mark

kerry

Expedition Leader
Hmmm? Never heard of that before. Lots of modified trucks out there. Do people who add things like service bodies to trucks get them certified? Which dealer in Denver are you working with? I had the dealer in Longmont rebuild my transmission. I had a very good experience.

quickfarms

Adventurer
If you are a production company building them for resale there is a certification process for recreational vehicles.

To my knowledge there is not a required certification for truck bodies but there could be an issue if you do something unusual or contrary to standard practices.

If you are a production company building them for resale there is a certification process for recreational vehicles.

To my knowledge there is not a required certification for truck bodies but there could be an issue if you do something unusual or contrary to standard practices.

This is how it is up in Canada, does it pass mechanical? Then it an be insured

blackduck

Explorer
I just had to get a valuation on replacement cost
so took it to a truck dealer who had no idea what it was worth with the body build
told him a number
he wrote it on the form
Shazam - agreed value insurance

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I think in the USA you can insure pretty much everything. The issue with custom work is they need some basis for the valuation.

I just have the minimum required comp/collision on mine, I'm self insuring myself against loss.

matthewp

Combat Truck Monkey
I think in the USA you can insure pretty much everything. The issue with custom work is they need some basis for the valuation.

I just have the minimum required comp/collision on mine, I'm self insuring myself against loss.

I found a similar request from my insurance company for my trailer. They needed a cost that can be verified by receipts and I had to take photos of the completed trailer, inside and out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles