Just about to pull the trigger on a PW till I saw its payload capacity

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
The issue now might be that the truck has coil springs in the rear. However I feel like a good set of airbags would negate all of this no? My biggest predicament is reliability of a 6.4 over a diesel as well as mileage (only slightly) and the use of aux power (which can be handled with multiple batteries)

I think I may end up with the Power Wagon myself but still have a couple of more months to think about it.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
The mileage on the diesel is going to be better, my 6.4 has been averaging 14.5. I chose the gas because I do a lot of short trips that is not great for the diesel, and because I could get a lifetime bumper to bumper on the gas, they don't offer it on the diesel. I really wanted the cummins, but I didn't want some of the humongous repair bills when they break.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
The issue now might be that the truck has coil springs in the rear. However I feel like a good set of airbags would negate all of this no? My biggest predicament is reliability of a 6.4 over a diesel as well as mileage (only slightly) and the use of aux power (which can be handled with multiple batteries)

I think I may end up with the Power Wagon myself but still have a couple of more months to think about it.

Coil is a non issue for payload. All Unimogs use coil springs. Heck trains use coil springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Coil is a non issue for payload. All Unimogs use coil springs. Heck trains use coil springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yea I know but that may limit upgrades as far as beefier coil springs I would guess? I don't know. I'm trying to figure it out, plus the Cummins is another 9k more.

TwinStick

Explorer
Just don't rush into it. What is right for some, may not be, for others. I would not trade mine for nothing. It is what it is. A unique, large 4x4, that is actually made for off-road & gets HORRIBLE mileage. I get 8-10 mpg, empty or loaded. The computer has dropped as low as 3 mpg climbing a long steep hill, in 3rd gear @ 5500+ rpms, but maintaining 55 mph, with my 10,500 lb toyhauler. I swear you can watch the gas gauge move while your driving !!!

They will have new coils soon. Coils are cheaper than leaf springs.

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Just don't rush into it. What is right for some, may not be, for others. I would not trade mine for nothing. It is what it is. A unique, large 4x4, that is actually made for off-road & gets HORRIBLE mileage. I get 8-10 mpg, empty or loaded. The computer has dropped as low as 3 mpg climbing a long steep hill, in 3rd gear @ 5500+ rpms, but maintaining 55 mph, with my 10,500 lb toyhauler. I swear you can watch the gas gauge move while your driving !!!

They will have new coils soon. Coils are cheaper than leaf springs.

Do you have the 5.7 or the 6.4?

TwinStick

Explorer
Do you have the 5.7 or the 6.4?

5.7, 4.56's in the axles, stock 33" tires, stock suspension, but the G56 trans.(it is geared way lower than the auto---crawl ratio is almost double [78:1] Yes, it has always gotten that mileage, even from new. I just don't know why, when a 707 hp hellcat can get the same or better. Mine should have come with a 100 gal fuel tank. LOL

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
gotcha. I think the new 6.4 with the auto gets like 15 on average. At least I'm hoping for that. 10 is a bit low for me, 15 I can handle, I got 14-15 with my 4runner but with a 17 gallon tank, it was nothing, 31 gallon tank will be nicer, and I plan on putting in a secondary tank as well.

jaxyaks

Adventurer
I have the 6.4 and I am on my third or fourth tank and I am getting 14 average. On the interstate at 65-70 I see 18, as soon as you get into town it will drop back pretty quick to 14-15. In the city (Atlanta) I see 11-12. I am able to get better mileage in town with the MDS disabled. On the highway it works well. When you fill the tank up it usually displays a 423 mile range

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
You could put better leaf springs on it. (Atlas makes good progressive replacements) I LOVE my Power Wagon and have used and abused it since 2007. Toughest truck ever built. If it isn't going to be used off road a large amount of the time you should just get a regular truck.
Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

neliconcept

Spirit Overland
Oh... I plan on building this up and shipping it around the world for driving.. I am getting an Audi S8 as a secondary as well.

RoyJ

Adventurer
The 2014 PW has the beefy 11.5 AAM axle from the pre-2013 diesel 3500, which is of course super strong, just eats into ground clearance. The newer diesel 3500 has been upgraded to an even bigger 11.75 AAM.

The older PWs had the 10.5", which is believe is shared among older non-diesel 2500s.

Not sure if a non-PW 2014 2500 gets the 11.5" or not...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94