New build. Fuso Fg4X4 Camper

drudru

Observer
After months of research and planning, the "Let's do it" moment came 2 weeks ago.
The new 2013 Fuso FG4X4 is bought and getting delivered Monday.
I found a lot of professional advisers to help design critical components in an essentially DIY built.
Many parts are already underway, many others I have quotes for.

Here is the project:

Base: Fuso FG4X4 2013, white.
Mods:
All Terrain Warrior Parabolic Suspension
All Terrain Warrior Helical Gear Limited Slip Front Differential
All Terrain Warrior Aluminum Front Bumper
Auxiliary Diesel tank, 30 to 40 gallons.
Espar D5 Engine heater
Super Single wheels, 37" tires (not sure which yet)
Custom made roof rack, back bumper/tire carrier, skid plates etc.
Mile Marker 12,000 pounds winch and Mile Marker 15,000 pound winch, one in back, one in front.

Camper: All composite, a sandwich of fiberglass, kevlar and Gurit CoreCell high density foam.
The interior furniture made of fiberglass honeycomb panels as much as possible.
1 double bed, 2 single size beds.
Espar D5 AIRTRONIC to heat the camper.
Water heater undecided which one yet.
Isotherm Cruise 130 fridge
Possibly diesel Webasto cooktop, or an induction cooktop, undecided yet.
Cassette toilet
80 Gallons of fresh water, 30-40 gallons of grey water.
Solar panels, inverter all wires marine grade.

In my design I am trying to keep all furniture low, to keep the full width at torso height.

Everything designed by me, inspired by all good ideas I can find out there and using SolidWorks software for 3D plans.
I am doing the most I can on my own, and getting assistance from professional help for what I do not have the knowledge for.
Mainly working with fiberglass and composite, thankfully I know a racing sailboat builder who loves my project (he calls it a square land boat).
And lucky me, my brother in law is a furniture builder for private planes.

I will be working full time on it. If all goes well, it will be complete before the end of September.

I will try to document my experience as much as possible, and share it so that it may server others in the future.

Wish me luck.
Vincent
FUSO003.jpg

drudru

Observer
The plan is first to test it in the US Southwest, after that...still unsure. Pan-Am highway? Europe?
My son is 12 years old, so me and my wife can't take off for many months at a time yet.

Maninga

Adventurer
Sounds great. There's a lot of knowledge in this forum and so many great ideas. Will be watching your build closely

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I cannot see the double bed in your model, but have you considered using a bed lift? I think that with your design it would work well and give you more usable space.

drudru

Observer
I cannot see the double bed in your model, but have you considered using a bed lift? I think that with your design it would work well and give you more usable space.

The double bed is the kitchen table/booth. I have a 6'8" ceiling height and 6'8 width which is exactly the width of a double size bed, complicating greatly any bed lift designs. I have considered it, but could not see a design I liked. I also try to avoid moving parts as much as possible, they need maintenance, have risks of failures, subject to damage from vibrations, etc.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
As far as I know, 80" is the size of an extra long double mattress. A standard double mattress is only 75" long, which would give you plenty of room for most bed lift mechanisms.
I have had the Happijac bed lifts pulled down to their component pieces and I have to say that they are built quite well. I hear what you are saying about moving things potentially breaking, but having to make up your primary bed every day will get tiresome very quickly. A bed lift gives you the ability to have a fixed bed and does not make you give up too much space. So, a win, win situation, if you can make one work in your design.
Naturally, this is my personal opinion, but I am sure that there are quite a few members that would agree with me here.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Congratulations!...You're now #3 on the ExPo Duonic owner list thread lol...looking forward to your build.

drudru

Observer
As far as I know, 80" is the size of an extra long double mattress. A standard double mattress is only 75" long, which would give you plenty of room for most bed lift mechanisms.
I have had the Happijac bed lifts pulled down to their component pieces and I have to say that they are built quite well. I hear what you are saying about moving things potentially breaking, but having to make up your primary bed every day will get tiresome very quickly. A bed lift gives you the ability to have a fixed bed and does not make you give up too much space. So, a win, win situation, if you can make one work in your design.
Naturally, this is my personal opinion, but I am sure that there are quite a few members that would agree with me here.

I welcome others opinions. I haven't yet fully settled on the interior layout. I am still considering options. I will investigate the bed lift solution as I also think making it every day will get old fast. One of the reason I am moving to this new setup is that we are tired of doing setups every day.

You are right about bed size, in an initial layout I was going for a queen size bed, checked the size and it stuck in my mind even after I switched to double size...
thanks for noting the error; back to plans!

gait

Explorer
my bed lift was roughly the equivalent of turning a 4m long box into 6m. Under the bed was no longer constrained by dual use. Something like angles for seat squabs and backs became easy. Seating for 8, though usually 6. Inner sprung mattress. A big 2m x 600mm (6' x 2') bench.

blackduck

Explorer
Whatever you end up doing
after using it for a couple of months you will figure you should have done it differently
Human nature - im afraid

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz