1997 LX450 - Am I getting a good deal?

Burley

Adventurer
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and about to purchase my first 80 series. Pricing seems to be all over the place for 80 series, so I wanted to put this out there and see what you guys thought.

Vehicle in question:
1997 LX450
242,00 miles
Super clean inside and out
Leak free except a small rear main leak
It has all of the option (I think) that could be ordered-
-Diff lockers
-Sunroof
-6 disc CD changer
Has stock replacement OME suspension
80% tread left on 33" Firestones M/T

The lowest price I could negotiate was $4500. What do you guys think? If it weren't for the miles, I know this would be a no brainer.

Thanks for all input
Jake

NCFJ

Adventurer
Jake,

I am very familiar with the LC market within about 300 miles of my location, Spartanburg, SC. If clean refers to pretty much rust free on both body and frame etc that is about the going rate, even on the low side. The mileage is leaning toward the higher side but you are not too high. You seem to already be ahead on the suspension being updated so that is a plus. I can tell you that the only half decent rigs I have seen in my area for under $5K have been scams.

Like any used vehicle it is a crap shoot until you get it and start driving it for a bit. Hope it works out well for you.

Stan

Burley

Adventurer
The rig belongs to a friend/coworker. He married into it. So really it's his wife's daily driver. The title is clean and from what they tell me it's always been well maintained and I have no reason to not believe it. Her and her ex-husband bought it from a dealer at about 160,000 miles.

It is completely rust free, with only a couple spots of paint flacking off. No dents or dings that I saw.

Last edited:

expeditionist

Observer
If the truck is super clean and well maintained, I think $4500 sounds like fair price. Even with the high miles. That truck would sell pretty fast in the Denver market.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
We all know LCs can log high miles. At 180k, I would have been comfortable driving mine anywhere. But for me, I get scared as they approach 250k. Not because something will happen imminently, but I would just worry about how much time I would have left with it. Even a well maintained LC at some point will wear out to the point of needing major work (bottom end rebuild or a new tranny). Maybe that will happen at 300k or 500k or maybe 275k. I wouldn't want to get to heavily invested in a vehicle that I might have to write off in 2 or 3 years unless I could get it dirt cheap. So, for me personally, I wouldn't spend $4500 on a 250k truck if I could get a clean 175k truck for $7000. $3000 maybe, then I would be money ahead to invest in a major repair or not heartbroken if I had to move on.

None of the above is any reflection on what the actual market value is for a 250k cruiser, simply my own opinion as to where I would invest my money in the LC market - and that would be in a lower mileage one. But thats me. So the question should be, regardless of "market value", is it a good value for you?

But I think you will like the 80 series. I sure miss mine.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
"Am I paying too much" treads always make me laugh. Like somehow and someplace in life a jury of your peers judge you on your history of purchase prices. To me mechanical condition and repair history is paramount. Rust is starting the make the FZJ80 drop in resale value. My concern on a truck with high milage is how long before head gasket goes, and other not so famous gaskets & seals on the engine. For 4,500 + 2,500 for new HG its still a fair deal if you like the truck.

86tuning

Adventurer
What has already been said is good advise. If you're planning on putting a lot of mileage on an 80 then get one with lower miles if possible. But I'd buy that one for $4.5k and not hesitate to sort it out and drive it anywhere.

Rear main seals aren't too expensive, but you should do the oil pan arch at the same time. A good tech can do the pan arch by removing the rear main seal 'housing' without dropping the pan and re sealing from the top. Change the coolant every year or two to help reduce further corrosion from the coolant side and just go drive the thing.

I find that I tend to not dd my 80 and save it for driving around with the family. My dd is an old corolla GTS. This saves on fuel costs and wear and tear. Anytime I'm going anywhere with wife and/or kids I take the 80. Just not commuting to work.

Burley

Adventurer
Thanks for all the advise everyone. I think I'm going to make the purchase. It seems like rust and/or body damage seems to plague most of the 160,000+ 80's I've looked at. This LX450 is free of both.
The mechanical side of a high mileage vehicle is a concern, however being an automotive technician by trade, and having the tools and shop to do the work, should keep the rig on the road for a long time. I will also try to keep from just pilling on the miles once I get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles