Toyo's or Coopers or BFGs....?????

fla_cracker

Observer
Alright folks, I'm about to get some new shoes on my 06 4runner. My runner currently has 265/70/17 BFG Rugged Terrains. They have been great onroad especially during heavy rains that I usually get down here in FL. After reading the recent tire review I am really thinking the Cooper ATs are what I'm looking for. The third option is the Toyo AT2 that a friend says he can get a good deal on. I am looking at moving up in size slightly to a 285/70/17.

I drive alot of highway and mild offroad, usually sand/mud trails. But have aspirations of traveling to mountains for wheeling. My biggest concerns are tire life, hydroplaning, price, and offroad ability.

So please help me with my decision....... Cooper AT, Toyo AT, or BFG Rugged Terrain

Thanks

Cory

Robert Bills

Explorer
I know nothing about on/offroad conditions in Florida, but for what it's worth, of the available choices I favor the Cooper Discoverer AT3. (For my particular application I chose the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx.)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would go wih the BFG AT instead of the rugged terrain. And BFG for most everything. They make my jeep ride and handle awesome.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I was going to also recommend the Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx because of its sidewall, so in the FL areas with the trees your sidewall will have adequate sidewall protection.

fla_cracker

Observer
The BFG AT is out due to some friends that live down here have had issues with them hydroplaning. Also they are no good at all in mud. And thats about 90 percent of whats down here.....lol

ZJARCHER

Adventurer
Toyos. I've ran them all and Toyo MT and AT both and Yokohama Geolander are the best two tires on the market.

kojackJKU

I run them, and we get LOTS of rain. Not the Florida 20 min 4 inch plus rain, but we get like 15 inches over a 24 hr period and our roads are **** compared to yours. What part of FLA are you in, I own a house in Zephyrhills.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
I have had the BFG AT KO and the Toyo AT2 Extremes. my nod by far goes to the Toyo AT2 Extreme. It is a far superior tire. The Extreme model is not available in the size you noted in your post but is available in the 285/75/17. But still the size you stated is $170 a tire.. thats not bad.. my 37x13.50R20 Toyo Open Country M/T is $420 a tire.. I will buy your tires if you want to buy mine ;) OH.... and BTW I live in South Georgia, so not entirely different than your conditions.

Here is the link to the tire I suggested
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/352000.html

fla_cracker

Observer
I run them, and we get LOTS of rain. Not the Florida 20 min 4 inch plus rain, but we get like 15 inches over a 24 hr period and our roads are **** compared to yours. What part of FLA are you in, I own a house in Zephyrhills.

I'm near Lakeland in central FL........ 4 inches in about 20 minutes sounds about right for here...lol

Mud and sand......that turns into pudding. haha. Go with a MT tire for sure.

If I didn't do so much highway time I would... :(

I have had the BFG AT KO and the Toyo AT2 Extremes. my nod by far goes to the Toyo AT2 Extreme. It is a far superior tire. The Extreme model is not available in the size you noted in your post but is available in the 285/75/17. But still the size you stated is $170 a tire.. thats not bad.. my 37x13.50R20 Toyo Open Country M/T is $420 a tire.. I will buy your tires if you want to buy mine ;) OH.... and BTW I live in South Georgia, so not entirely different than your conditions.

Here is the link to the tire I suggested
http://www.treaddepot.com/tire/352000.html

When looking at the Toyo reviews online I've seen people go both ways about them in wet weather. So it's good to hear some first hand comparison. 285/75 is just a smidgen too big.... The other size I was looking at was 255/75 ............ 32 inches tall 10 inches wide... good for fuel milage

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We get a metric f-ton (to quote a fellow Floridian, albeit a fictitious one) of rain where I live, and Toyos are worlds ahead of BFG or Cooper. My 285/75-18 (35-11.50R18) AT II extremes took an average of 1.75 oz per tire to balance. Compare that with the BFGs I just put on my 100 series TLC (the wife likes BFGs) which took an average of 11-12 oz per tire for a 285/75-16! I only went with that tire to make her happy. They work well, but I knew they would be crap to balance.

kojackJKU

Ha ha, yeah Vancouver gets a crap load too. But I think its more like here than florida. Down there, every day in the summer like clockwork early evening is a torrential downpour of 4" etc. 1/2 hr later, Dry and sun again. I love it!.

I would move to van. if housing was not so much money. crazy. What I pay 275 for here on the east coast is like 1.5 mil over there.

fla_cracker

Observer
For all who are wondering. .... today I placed an order for 4 cooper Discoverer AT3 in the 255/75r17 variety. I went with this size because it shouldn't rub and should maintain my fuel milage. ...

Now after doing some research i chose to not get an LT..... (flaming can start now) because my owners manual only suggests that your tires exceed half of the weight rating for the axles.

My 4runner is rated for like 3600 lbs for the rear and the AT3 is rated @ 2649.... this is well over half

Oh yea...my current tires are p rated also and have given me no problems for the 30,000 miles I have put on them.

texasnielsen

Outdoorsman
In the last six years I've spent close to $10K shedding a variety of vehicles with new rubber. The largest being 38x15.50X18's (Toyo ATs) I am best friends with my Discount Tire mgr! (JK) IMO if you can afford them the Toyo's are some of the longest wearing, best riding and wheeling options out there. Not to knock BFG, Goodyear, Cooper, Nitto, etc., but the Toyos all-wx characteristics win hands down for me. If you're only riding trail, there may be a better option. But my bet is that you're like the rest of us and a majority of your driving is on pavement. From a safety perspective for me and my family, I want the best on the road when conditions are wet. The trail ability is a second. It's all a compromise. Toyo's win here, at least on my rigs (I have BFGs on my '55 Ford F100, Toyos on the F150, Nitto's (came with) on the FJ, and Toyos on the H2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne