Looking for a new truck

eaneumann

Adventurer
I'm considering selling my Jeep and buying a truck and pop up camper. Current Jeep is a 2012 four door Wrangler on 37" tires with front and rear ARB lockers. I know I will regret selling it! I've been looking at new trucks, but am having a hard time picking. It would have to be a full size, but as small as possible (short bed... Too tall/fat for a mini truck haha). It's only my wife, me, and one dog. Lots of power would be good, we live at 9k feet. We have a trip to Alaska planned for next year and the wife says the Jeep is a no go. I would also consider buying a cheaper used truck and making it nicer. Would be nice to have no payment!

I do own a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9 4x4 with a new motor, but unsure of reliability and aftermarket support. Also has some issues. Should I be looking at a diesel? It's a Dodge...

We have a horse and small trailer also, so needs to tow a bit.

Thoughts or opinions? Must be reliable/comfortable/aftermarket support. Looking to run 35/37" tires and do moderate to hard trails that it fits on! Will be my daily driver and see about 30k miles a year.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417320192.128787.jpg

GDSQDCR

Adventurer
I ran my 04 Sierra CC Z71 with a 5.3 all the way to 193500 miles. Only got rid of it because someone jumped out in front of me while I was doing 45mph. Totaled ...
Never burned or leaked. Never left me stranded. Spent about 2 grand in repairs outside or normal maintenance. Great truck!

I just bought a 2011 f150 Supercrew FX4 ecoboost. Only put about 500 miles on it this past week, but really impressed. Set up with tow package so I can theoretically hall 11000lbs.

The F150 won our money because of cab room. Not sure how reliable it will be yet ... Not enough miles on it yet for me to tell.
Anthony

Raul B

Explorer
I run a 2012 crew cab f150. Love the truck. You can click on my build thread for more details about it.

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Well, I'm always gonna cast my vote on the F series pickup built between 1980 and 1997. The vehicle itself is cheap, reliable and durable. Parts are easy to find and upgrades can always be had by taking parts from a few sizes up and bolting them on. In fact, you can bolt together a decent truck from parts throughout that year range.

For engines, whether you go gas or diesel really depends on how available and cheap each one is. Fuel capacity isn't really an issue, since you can more than double the stock fuel capacity with an in bed fuel tank.

For a tow rig, longer is always better. You get more stability out of a longer truck than a short one, regardless of how much power you have.

For your needs, I'd recommend a mid 90's F250/350 crewcab 4X4 with at least a 5.8L (350) engine, or better yet, a 460, since even towing a small horse trailer is a load. Pair it with a M5OD transmission and you'll have a sweet rig. Fuel injection, decent heat and AC, plenty of room and comfy seats, though swapping out seats from another vehicle isn't unheard off. If you can find a truck with a decent drivetrain and body, you can then customize it however you want. I'm assuming that since you're using it as a camping rig, you won't be taking it off road or abusing it much.
With the F250, you'll want bigger leaf springs for carrying the camper, but the F350 should be fine. In fact, you can swap out the F250 springs for F350 ones easily. Make sure the transmission has a separate oil cooler too. Its easy to add though if it doesn't have one already. Do not listen to anybody who says you'll want to swap out the TTB front suspension for a solid front axle. The TTB is still pretty smooth and just as tough as the solid axle, so long as its not lifted. Add some front and rear tow points though. Some D-loops off an expedition or any newer truck would work. Oh, and you'll probably want to replace all the vacuum lines, since the originals are now so brittle, they snap at a mild bump in the road. 1/4" rubber fuel line works just fine for that.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I'd look at the newest/cleanest stock 5.9 2500 Cummins truck you can find ('07). That is assuming you want to save money. You can do some quality suspension (Thuren), a set of 37s and do some fairly hard trails. The diesel will save you a bunch on fuel in the long run. If you are planning on a slide in camper, a 3/4 ton should be the minimum.

poriggity

Explorer
I absolutely love my 04.5 cummins, long bed quad cab. The only thing that would make it perfect is a pop up camper in the bed like you are doing. I love the space it affords me, but it can be challenging on smaller trails. Overall, it's an awesome platform.

eaneumann

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions so far! Really been leaning towards a new/used ecoboost f150, tundra, f250 diesel or 2500 diesel. The camper will be a very small unit (haven't chosen one yet), smallest I can fit in the truck. Like I said, just me and the wife. I've also considered a flat bed. And the combined weight of our horse and trailer is only 3600 lbs. Is the diesel the best option for me? I've never owned a large truck and have always had small cars before my Jeep, last car was a 600hp lancer evolution. Cost isn't a huge factor, but reliability is. Used would be nice, but I wouldn't mind buying new if it means more reliability. I get major discounts on Ford and Chrysler. I also work on cars for a living, so don't mind fixing things and I do carry parts/tools. I was dead set on a Ford Raptor until I tried to find one new under 70k...

Thanks again!

kpredator

Adventurer
we have a 2007 f-150 and north star popup with 220k on it . no issues as of yet. when we replace it ,probably will go with a f-250.

if going to alaska check out the alaska marine highway

good luck

kp

poriggity

Explorer
Given your weight that you are hauling, a diesel isn't necessary, but I gotta say I love having the available power on tap when I need it, but the price tag that comes with the diesel option is a tough pill to swallow. I paid $7,000 extra just to have the diesel option. That being said, I've never regretted spending that extra money.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions so far! Really been leaning towards a new/used ecoboost f150, tundra, f250 diesel or 2500 diesel. The camper will be a very small unit (haven't chosen one yet), smallest I can fit in the truck. Like I said, just me and the wife. I've also considered a flat bed. And the combined weight of our horse and trailer is only 3600 lbs. Is the diesel the best option for me? I've never owned a large truck and have always had small cars before my Jeep, last car was a 600hp lancer evolution. Cost isn't a huge factor, but reliability is. Used would be nice, but I wouldn't mind buying new if it means more reliability. I get major discounts on Ford and Chrysler. I also work on cars for a living, so don't mind fixing things and I do carry parts/tools. I was dead set on a Ford Raptor until I tried to find one new under 70k...

Thanks again!

I'd check again on the pricing on Raptors. Prices have gone down a lot recently. For fun I built one on the Ford website and had top of the line everything and it was 57k I believe. Even used they are down to mid 40's with about 10k on the clock. However, I dont think a Raptor is your ideal truck if you want to tow and have a camper on it being it is built as a desert race truck. Like said above, since you want to go small with the camper, having a ton of power with a diesel is not necessary. At the same time, if you find a bigger camper you certainly can upgrade it if you have a diesel.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A lightly equipped Four Wheeler and a 1/2 ton truck seem like a good match. My Northstar wet and loaded with stuff tips the scales @ 2000#. I couldn't imagine anything less than 3/4 ton for safety's sake. Emergency collision avoidance and all important 4 wheel discs come standard on the newer trucks.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

Thanks again!

I have a couple of good friends city slicker types with the Ecoboost turbo V6 in their F150's. Personally I would avoid it every one I know that has one or had one hasn't been too happy with it and the fuel savings if you keep your foot out of it isn't a big enough argument to have it given the other issues they have had with it. Fun truck yes, truck to have over the long run with low running cost and little to go wrong not so much. I'd go for a more typical V8 without the tech stuff. Which case a nice clean hardly used truck at a considerable reduction in price would be a nice win! Then you could have room in the budget to upgrade stuff as you like maybe even say go flatbed FWC camper with the rear dinette your wife would be impressed ;-)

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
Emergency collision avoidance

Where I come from, we call those eye-balls. :Wow1:

Seriously, if you need that much fancy gadgetry on a truck to feel safe driving it, you probably shouldn't be driving a truck at all. Just my opinion. Its just more junk that can break and fail on you, and more money spent on repairing stuff you really don't need. And besides, I feel that "automatic safety measures" like that collision avoidance stuff makes for lazy, and more dangerous, drivers. Just drive smart and you won't need to avoid any accidents that system would theoretically stop.

First rule of living. You're gonna get hurt. Get over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier