Cooling system problems in Colombia - E350 6.0

We're 12,000km in to our PanAm adventure and the only issues we've experienced with the van have been coolant leaks. 2 hard lines and 1 rubber line have developed pinhole leaks by rubbing against another part and they've all been lines from the rear heater which I don't use.

I've managed to repair the leaks by cutting out a piece of line and using heater hose, steel pipe and clamps. I've topped off the coolant with the remaining Motorcraft coolant I brought with me and water. I don't really know the ratio of coolant:water at this point so a combination of that and the "band-aids" on the cooling system have been playing on my nerves. I did a coolant flush before we left but I'm considering another one now.

Any suggestions on what I should do with the cooling system? How can I potentially delete the rear cooling system? If I can't find gold coolant or zerex here in Colombia what should I look for in coolant?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
50/50 coolant mixture. If for any reason you do not have enough coolant, under no circumstances use or mix incorrect coolant. Use straight water. To bypass I think you can just make a loop.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
In Colombia Heading South?

Then you are also heading up and, as you go up, it will get cold. Very cold. You may not need the rear heater when driving, but you will need antifreeze when parked overnight. You don't want to run pure water.

Fix the problem by making sure that the coolant lines are not rubbing. And check your fuel lines while you are at it; I would bet you have a problem coming there, as well.

Then you are also heading up and, as you go up, it will get cold. Very cold. You may not need the rear heater when driving, but you will need antifreeze when parked overnight. You don't want to run pure water.

Fix the problem by making sure that the coolant lines are not rubbing. And check your fuel lines while you are at it; I would bet you have a problem coming there, as well.

We've done some high altitude camping already and haven't needed the heater so it don't think we will need it. Hopefully I can get the coolant we'll need tomorrow.

It's not looking like I'm getting Motorcraft Gold or Zerex coolant here in Medellin. I would estimate that the current mix in the cooling system is about 35-40% Motorcraft Gold and the rest water (mostly purified water and some tap water). The level is a little low now so I think I'll just top it off with purified water and not worry about. Do you guys see any issues with that?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
30% protects down to 4°F, 35% to -4°F, and 40% to -12°F so that could work but the dilution of anti-wear and anti-corrosion additives would be my primary concern, especially where a water pump replacement would be such a hassle, both disassembling the front of the van and finding the part AND you'd still need more antifreeze. Better to get some shipped to you soon than to need lots later.

I think antifreeze's effectiveness diminishes at higher altitudes too...I'll double check.

EDIT: freezing point of water is higher at greater elevations but only academically, like 1/100 of 1 degree per 1 atmosphere of pressure reduction, so antifreeze protection scale doesn't significantly change. Even from sea level to 50,000 ft there's still less than 1 atmosphere of pressure drop (from 1 atm @ sea level to .1 atm @ 50k) so no reason to worry about that aspect at all IMO

Last edited:

Eric3187

Adventurer
if you cant find gold coolant, you can switch to Cat-1 rated ELC coolant which is red, but you really have to thouroughly flush the system before changing over. i run the red coolant in my 6.0 in a 60/40 ratio of coolant/distilled water.

the 60/40 ratio according to the label gives me down to -40* protection from freezing, where the 50/50 mix was closer to 0* if i remember correct.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I would not worry about your temp rating due to your dilution or any anti wear, cavitation issues with a 6.0l. Your biggest issue would be the plugging up of your oil cooler that can happen very fast with coolants that are not compatible, then your really screwed.

Thanks for the feedback. I went on another hunt all over this crazy city today and a local man brought me to a VehiCentre to buy Zerex coolant. It turned out they didn't have Zerex, but they did have Motorcraft gold! That makes my life a whole lot easier. The coolant level is down to the bottom of the degas bottle now so I figure I can fit close to a gallon of gold in there and I should be close to 50/50.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Is this where your lines rubbed through?

IMG00402-20120404-1407.jpg

IMG00400-20120404-1407.jpg

IMG00401-20120404-1407.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles