'05 GX driveline vibration has me puzzled

Bushmaster6

Adventurer
2005 GX470 with approximately 120k miles, purchased it earlier this year just prior to moving to Germany.

Symptom: I get a dull rhythmic vibration in the vehicle at highway speeds (figure 50-70 mph). The real oddity(ies) for me is that the vibration occurs on/off for about a full second+ each (on-one-thousand, off-one-thousand, on-one-thousand, etc), and secondly that it only occurs when the wheel comes left of center. I get no vibe in a straight line or when in a long right hand curve, but within a degree or two of coming off center-left, it starts kicking in. It's hard to tie it to a speed because it appears to be an "on or off" vibe, not particularly sensitive to speed, just occurs within those speeds, and the tempo of the vibration does not noticeably change with changes in speed. The intensity of the vibe is rather dull, it's noticeable to me because I'm kind of hypersensitive about vehicles, but my wife wouldn't have noticed it if I hadn't pointed it out... hard to isolate a direction/source, but I can definitely hear it, and feel it through a combination of steering wheel and feet/butt contact points.

web searches have revealed a couple of TSBs issued to address customer complaints of similar (but not exactly the same) vibrations. I'm trying to help narrow the trouble-shooting to things that would only be affected under the specific conditions it occurs. Seems to me that if it was a wheel/tire issue, a wheel bearing issue, or a driveshaft balance, that the problem would not be limited to left-of-center steering, but I'm open to challenges to that assumption. I'm wondering if there is some component/link that would get more stress in a turning situation?

I'm going to swap my wheels/tires of my '08 T4R (no vibe issue) on to the GX and see if that makes a difference... hoping someone here has had similar experience/success with this, or at least a suggestion on which way to look?

SLOYOTA

have you checked your front cv's? also, there was a recent post on ih8mud 120 section about checking the front differential support/mount. good luck with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94