FWC Finch on a +05 Tacoma

mtndog

Long time lurking member, first time posting. Thought I'd share the new Finch model I picked up last weekend since it was first posted on this site a couple weeks ago. As soon as I saw the first pics, I called FWC and changed my order from the Eagle to the Finch. The great customer service at FWC went ahead and changed my order without charge, so here it is. It's the 6' shell version to fit the more common sized truck beds. Only option is the propane heater and jack brackets. The tailgate does close with a 3/16" gap between but having the tailgate on does make it a bit more difficult to get out since you can't step down and out. It is sitting on 3/4" plywood leaving about 1-1/2" gap over the bed rails. Hope the pics work.
tacomaandfwc008Medium.jpg

tacomaandfwc014Medium.jpg

tacomaandfwc027Medium.jpg

tacomaandfwc024Medium.jpg

Todd

TD64

Adventurer
Nice! I've been waiting to see how the Finch looks on a Tacoma.

What did you do to your rear suspension to support the Finch?

I like how the tailgate acts like a little porch when it's down. I am seriously considering this model for my truck that has a 5' 1" bed.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
:bowdown: Great setup!

Any idea how much that weighs? How does your Tacoma handle with the extra weight on back? Love it!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Awesome! :jumping:

I imagine there's going to be a lot of new Taco owners enjoying your pics. What a great combo. They look made for each other. Nice, nice Tacoma too.

There are definitely some pro's and con's to leaving the tailgate on. The ingress/egress issue you mentioned being the biggest problem IMO. But the outside work-space is nice.

Congratulations on a great new FWC. There is a FWC owner's forum at Wander the West.com. It's a great resource for ideas and trip reports.

Welcome to the club! :beer:

mtndog

thanks for the welcomes,

The camper is tagged at 525 lbs. with furnace and full bottle of LP.

The truck suspension has DR coilovers and OME leafs & shocks and swaybar removed. You do notice it a bit but I usually carry 350-400 lbs of sand in the winter time so I'm used to it and drive accordingly. Obviously there is a slight more body roll, a little slower acceleration from a stop, and you need to give it a few more feet for braking but overall very very manageable even at highway speeds. Once loaded up with equipment/supplies I may change my tune but I hope to actively keep the weight down. I do forsee changing to some more aggressive front brake pads to help when loaded - rotors & ss lines if more stopping power is needed later.

During this last week, leaving the tailgate on while climbing in and out is a PITA. Luckily the tailgate comes off in about 5 seconds making it much easier but you do loose a nice working surface.

Mobryan

Adventurer
Northern Explorer said:
What is the function of the plywood? Does it have something to do with the Tacoma having a composite bed.

My guess (which means I'm probably wrong;) ) is that it's to increase bed rail clearance. 3/4" clearance probably isn't enough to prevent some contact in rugged conditions.

Matt

Super Doody

Explorer
mtndog said:
Long time lurking member, first time posting. Thought I'd share the new Finch model I picked up last weekend since it was first posted on this site a couple weeks ago. As soon as I saw the first pics, I called FWC and changed my order from the Eagle to the Finch. The great customer service at FWC went ahead and changed my order without charge, so here it is. It's the 6' shell version to fit the more common sized truck beds. Only option is the propane heater and jack brackets. The tailgate does close with a 3/16" gap between but having the tailgate on does make it a bit more difficult to get out since you can't step down and out. It is sitting on 3/4" plywood leaving about 1-1/2" gap over the bed rails. Hope the pics work.
tacomaandfwc008Medium.jpg

tacomaandfwc014Medium.jpg

tacomaandfwc027Medium.jpg

tacomaandfwc024Medium.jpg

Todd

So why did you change your order?

mtndog

Super Doody said:
So why did you change your order?

I was never quite satisfied with the overhang the Eagle would have made in the 6' bed. The Finch is 6-8" shorter so there is no overhang to worry about on the more technical trails and allowed me to put up the tailgate. But while the tailgate provided and nice table/platform, it was very difficult for entry/exit. I had also envisioned a future swingarm style gate for a more utilitarian approach so I eventually fab'd up a dual swingarm gate for gas/water/hi-lift/storage/etc. making it much easier for entry/exit and I managed to fit in a small swing down table on the backside for small tasks.
smallcammagruder_lolo102.jpg
[/IMG]
smallcammagruder_lolo079Large.jpg
[/IMG]

Todd

erod

Adventurer
that is an awesome set up...i really like the shorter finch and it looks sick on your taco...looking forward to more pics and reports...congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier