Expedition overland article on not getting "Jeeping"

KJP

Did anyone read the article on not understanding Jeeping that is on the main site? If you did, am I wrong in feeling this way? It's unfortunate - another case of "since I don't get it then it must be wrong" or is it a case of "since I don't understand then thousands of enthusiasts must be wrong cause I'm right"? I for one appreciate a number of different vehicular sports, and some I've tried and just don't get either - but I'm comfortable with knowing others enjoy them so good for them - but I refrain from criticizing them or their chosen sport. By the way, has anyone figured out how many miles of trail make up a good 18 hole golf course - cause I don't get that either but I say let them enjoy their golf - who am I to say what makes you or anyone else happy. We could do a lot more with supporting everyone else's chosen motorized hobby than antagonizing others who have the same right to make their own choice in sport. I fail to understand that elitist train of thought.
Having said that. Let's not point fingers at who litters - I've seen mountain bikers and backpackers drop litter as well as "Jeepers", and I've witnessed mountain bikes do a lot of damage to sensitive areas off trail while the "Jeepers" yelled at them to get back on trail. All types are guilty.
Moral is rather than criticizing let's educate - help folks to see things the way we do, and accept their choices and hope they join us to keep trails and back roads open for all. Whew - this soapbox is getting a bit shaky. Sorry for the rant.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
What I did not get is the the "It's a Jeep Thing" must mean the hardest trails possible. That is not the whole of the Jeep Thing. It's like saying a Land Rover thing is all about doing Camel Trophy. It seemed he like the jeep, just did not enjoy doing a hard trail. I've been in jeeps my whole life and don't like doing trails I can actually hike faster than I can drive, but I do still like Jeeps.....and just about all vehicles actually.

OldGreen

This is akin to the "muscle powered" elite looking down on motorized recreation. I really don't care if he "got it" or not, but taking pictures of trash that he should have picked up and talking about "no real destination or purpose" shows that same, very negative attitude that is going to, eventually, be the demise of off-highway motorized recreation.

What the author was doing wasn't Jeeping, by the way, it was rock crawling. Real Jeepers run trails and other off-highway routes to enjoy nature, be close to friends, and even to test the limits of their machinery if the route demands it. Sound familiar? They are not out to be the metal ball in a giant pinball machine. Those are rock crawlers. It is as different from Jeeping as overlanding is from touring in a Lincoln Towncar. His obvious lack of experience both in life and in our sport make both him and his publication look bad.

Jurfie

Adventurer
I agree with this statement:
As overlanders we tend to enjoy traveling not for conquering the obstacles we encounter along the way, but for the beauty of the world we see and the destination we reach. I’m the first person to jump into my truck and tackle a difficult trail if it leads to a hidden camp spot, remote swimming hole, or ancient ruins; but when there is no purpose, no destination, or even enjoyment of the journey, are we any different from the teenager ramming his lifted truck through mud holes in a field?
Chris (the author) is not knocking Jeeps or the "Jeep Thing", just pondering the point of hitting hardcore trails for the sake of it. I dunno...that's not really my cup of tea, but to each their own. Some like the challenge of seeing how far their rig can take them.

Give me my Jeep, my beautiful wife, and a glass of wine while enjoying the peace and solitude of our campsite after a journey up a mountain trail to an amazing vista, remote lake, majestic forest or alpine meadow. :smiley_drive:

BCobe

Adventurer
Like others have stated its not so much about the Jeep veichle but rather the term "Jeeping" or "Its a Jeep Thing" in referance to rock crawling or the hardest trails. The author even refrences other makes in his article. Just a poor choice of wording.

Sounds like he should have went rockcrawling (its not called jeeping lol) with people who know how to do it, here is a protip air down the tires for better traction and to soften the "spin cycle" Take your time and don't mash the go pedal the entire way. Does attempted satire have a place here?

Probably should stick with LR4's and highway driving

Last edited:

tarditi

Explorer
"It's a Jeep Thing" is about the lifestyle in general - not specifically hardcore rockcrawling.

Rockcrawling is something akin to technical rockclimbing - it's really about the challenge.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Or to put it another way...

"About the Author: Chris Cordes

Born and raised in Dallas, Texas, Chris didn't receive a real taste of the outdoors until moving to Prescott, Arizona, for college in 2009. While working on his business degree in the Embry-Riddle undergraduate program, he learned to fly and spent his weekends exploring the Arizona desert and high country."

Translating his article into pilot-speak: Chris does not enjoy or "get" aerobatics. Airplanes are to be used to get to beautiful destinations, but just wringing them out for the fun of it seems pointless. Doing loops and barrel rolls makes his stuff fly off the backseat and makes his dog do a funny dance.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
The writer has a Very Condescending attitude in my opinion.

Wonder if he bothered to clean up the garbage he came across on the trail, or if he just left it there so he could cry about it in the article. As if "jeepers" are lesser than overlanders such as himself (it was obviously the jeepers garbage right?).

At least he admits he is a "pansy" in the end of the article.

We can all agree on that.

DEFENDERBEAM

strategic command
not to mention one obvious thing he FAILED on. Not securing his gear, or his pet.

Pretty much says what a thoughtless person the writer is.

Not worthy of borrowing that brute.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
The writer has a Very Condescending attitude in my opinion.

Exactly the sentiment I got.

My personal favorite was the spin cycle that took everything out of the back seat and tossed it into the front, a very convenient feature when you're just too tired to reach for your bag of chips.

Ever hear of cargo straps? Not just for crawling but anytime you have gear in your vehicle cargo should be strapped down. Instead of crying because a few rocks moved your gear, imagine getting t-boned by another vehicle while traveling at road speed.

First let me just say I'm not a rock crawler. It's not my thing but I know people who do it and really enjoy it. Overall I just don't understand the point of this article. So an egotistical "overlander" decides to try crawling and doesn't like it. This is worth an article?

This makes as much sense as a rock crawler trying "overlanding" and hates it so he makes an article about it...
"so i got in my land rover with 29" all terrains and drove. And drove and drove and drove. Stopped for lunch and drove some more. And we drove. Oh yea but we had heated seats! and enough gear to cross the Sahara twice (even though we were just going for the weekend). I just don't get overlanding."

Last edited:

southpier

Expedition Leader
I don't get billet aluminum or tuners, either. but I try to look past the obvious and realize way down we're all enjoying the motorsports and there has to be some common denominators.

I don't get tattoos, though. that's just bizarre.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior