Go Treads

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Subscribing to this just in case a discount does some how happen. I live in Florida and often hit the beaches and the trails which always have a fair share of sand. I can't justify the price for maxtrax although I would love a pair, I just don't go hard enough to get stuck enough to justify the price. I understand the sponsors take, but at the same time not all of us can afford the prices. Last I checked the group buy for Maxtrax was also a total fail. The prices were still crazy expensive for East coast members. Why does the forum forfeit the opportunity for members on a tighter budget to get a good deal?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ssyork

Subscribing to this just in case a discount does some how happen. I live in Florida and often hit the beaches and the trails which always have a fair share of sand. I can't justify the price for maxtrax although I would love a pair, I just don't go hard enough to get stuck enough to justify the price. I understand the sponsors take, but at the same time not all of us can afford the prices. Last I checked the group buy for Maxtrax was also a total fail. The prices were still crazy expensive for East coast members. Why does the forum forfeit the opportunity for members on a tighter budget to get a good deal?

Shoot a pm to libarta

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Chazz Layne

Administrator
"unless previously approved by the administration"
This part you singled out is there because we occasionally have special reason to allow a product that's carried many places (a good example of this is the Expedition Portal Trasharoos available on group buy, something we really don't have space to stock so we let Cosmiccharlie handle the GB instead).

MaxTrax probably shoved a free set their way to squash the competition.
Nope, sorry to burst the bubble but we paid for our MaxTrax.

I do still think that sponsoring vendors should all have that label under their names.
We already do, it's been there for some time. The reason we didn't go with big purple sparkles is we don't want them distracting from the rest of the discussion.

So, if I were to have posted this in the 'for sale/wanted' thread, I would have seen the rules. But, since I was not selling, or looking to sell, I never went there.
Correct. It's in the For Sale / Wanted forums because that's where the rule is relevant. The rest of the forums are not really appropriate for selling goods, they're for discussing things (how tos, travel, technique, good/bad tools, etc). Frankly, we never anticipated a for sale thread showing up in the on-topic forums (the rare times it happens, we move them over to For Sale). It's just like how Recovery Equipment and Tools is not the place for questions and discussion about Expedition Portal policies, we have a Help and Information forum for that. Which brings me to...

Time to bring this thread back on topic: Go Treads... good, bad, meh? :)

There goes my idea of lending the demo tread for ExPo eval...
The idea is appreciated, but there's no need: we've already checked them out. They aren't a bad option when space is extremely limited, or for that extra "just in case" in vehicles that don't see too much "planned" off-tarmac, on-snow, or on-ice. I actually considered putting a set in the Forester project early on to save space until I realized the rigid mats I already own fit nicely under roof cargo (nested between/on the rails).

That brings us to the trade-off: a foldable (or flexible) mat will by it's very nature be of limited usefulness in situations where the ground gives way such as deep mud or deep sand. Better than nothing? Most definitely, just not as good as a fully rigid mat will be. On the other hand a fully rigid mat is such a hassle to carry that it's more often left behind. In the end it really just comes down to how much space and weight you can spare on the vehicle.

155mm

Adventurer
We already do, it's been there for some time. The reason we didn't go with big purple sparkles is we don't want them distracting from the rest of the discussion.

Well, it doesn't seem to apply equally throughout the forum. E.g. Here's a ride-along thread posted by someone without a label, with a $200/vehicle ride fee. Here's another one with a $300/vehicle ride fee. And all the posts by Byways with backcountrybyways.com doesn't have a sponsor label either. I'm not knocking or picking on these guys, since I think it's great what they're doing, but if those aren't sales posts, then I don't know what is, and the label isn't showing up for me in Chrome or IE.

The idea is appreciated, but there's no need: we've already checked them out. They aren't a bad option when space is extremely limited, or for that extra "just in case" in vehicles that don't see too much "planned" off-tarmac, on-snow, or on-ice. I actually considered putting a set in the Forester project early on to save space until I realized the rigid mats I already own fit nicely under roof cargo (nested between/on the rails).

That brings us to the trade-off: a foldable (or flexible) mat will by it's very nature be of limited usefulness in situations where the ground gives way such as deep mud or deep sand. Better than nothing? Most definitely, just not as good as a fully rigid mat will be. On the other hand a fully rigid mat is such a hassle to carry that it's more often left behind. In the end it really just comes down to how much space and weight you can spare on the vehicle.

What did you find the main problem with them to be? Did they move or shift too much when trying to use them in hard conditions? Did they seem to work any better than a few wood planks?

I'm also curious if two of them would be "smooth" enough folded to make a platform for a floor jack. If anyone has experience with this, or maybe liberata you could snap a few pictures for us folded, unfolded, etc.?

libarata

Expedition Leader
Well, it doesn't seem to apply equally throughout the forum. E.g. Here's a ride-along thread posted by someone without a label, with a $200/vehicle ride fee. Here's another one with a $300/vehicle ride fee. And all the posts by Byways with backcountrybyways.com doesn't have a sponsor label either. I'm not knocking or picking on these guys, since I think it's great what they're doing, but if those aren't sales posts, then I don't know what is, and the label isn't showing up for me in Chrome or IE.

What did you find the main problem with them to be? Did they move or shift too much when trying to use them in hard conditions? Did they seem to work any better than a few wood planks?

I'm also curious if two of them would be "smooth" enough folded to make a platform for a floor jack. If anyone has experience with this, or maybe liberata you could snap a few pictures for us folded, unfolded, etc.?

Ooo, folder for a jack. THAT I have no way to test at the moment. This evening I can snap some photos of it folded. Though, it does shift side to side due to the linkage style, so I am not quite sure about its stability under load.

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for bringing these to our attention 155mm.
As you can imagine, ExPo receives hundreds of new posts and dozens of new threads every day.
Sometimes, rule infractions will fly under the radar but we try to stay on top of it all.
I appreciate you pointing out those threads, we will look into them further.

Regards,
Brian

libarata

Expedition Leader
What about supporting sponsors leading group purchases for products they already carry? Reported one, waiting to see what the interpretation will be. I mean, it is RIGHT above this thread, in just as wrong a sub-forum as my thread was.

155mm

Adventurer
If you're a sponsor then I don't think there should be an issue with them doing group purchases or discounts, or promoting their products anywhere. These sponsors have already paid for the ability to advertise their products. If I paid money to sell my products on this website and then I can't run promotions or whatever, I'd be like "******?"

As much as I may disagree with not letting members ban together for discounts on products from nonsponsors, I can see why the site owners may choose to run their business the way they do. Their site, their rules and all. I don't hafta like it, but I can see where they are coming from. I do think that allowing members with no business interest to share deals or "finds" should be allowed though. That's one of the great values a collaborative forum can provide.

libarata

Expedition Leader
If you're a sponsor then I don't think there should be an issue with them doing group purchases or discounts, or promoting their products anywhere. These sponsors have already paid for the ability to advertise their products. If I paid money to sell my products on this website and then I can't run promotions or whatever, I'd be like "******?"

As much as I may disagree with not letting members ban together for discounts on products from nonsponsors, I can see why the site owners may choose to run their business the way they do. Their site, their rules and all. I don't hafta like it, but I can see where they are coming from. I do think that allowing members with no business interest to share deals or "finds" should be allowed though. That's one of the great values a collaborative forum can provide.

The rule is the rule though. And according to recent interpretations, no group buys, unless it is rare. If it is rare, then go for it.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
It really depends on the conditions, in some situations they work just as good as a rigid board or wood plank. In softer terrain like sand or mud they can flex into the ground and/or wrap up around the wheel, especially with sticky mud (works like glue on the tire).

Some folks may be concerned about the hinges snapping. I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it happen on a quality mat.

What about supporting sponsors leading group purchases for products they already carry? Reported one, waiting to see what the interpretation will be. I mean, it is RIGHT above this thread, in just as wrong a sub-forum as my thread was.
It's in their contract when the sign up, they're allowed to do promotions (like sales and group buys) and market them on the forums.

As far as whether we should allow non-sponsored group buys or not, think of it this way: What if you came up with a great product, then paid to market it on Expedition Portal? How would you feel if some other company came out with a similar item and got away with marketing theirs for free? This is exactly what happens when a group buy (promotion/sale) is run by one of our members, whether they are a paid employee or just an enthusiastic volunteer.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
It really depends on the conditions, in some situations they work just as good as a rigid board or wood plank. In softer terrain like sand or mud they can flex into the ground and/or wrap up around the wheel, especially with sticky mud (works like glue on the tire).

Some folks may be concerned about the hinges snapping. I suppose it's possible, but I've never seen it happen on a quality mat.

It's in their contract when the sign up, they're allowed to do promotions (like sales and group buys) and market them on the forums.

As far as whether we should allow non-sponsored group buys or not, think of it this way: What if you came up with a great product, then paid to market it on Expedition Portal? How would you feel if some other company came out with a similar item and got away with marketing theirs for free? This is exactly what happens when a group buy (promotion/sale) is run by one of our members, whether they are a paid employee or just an enthusiastic volunteer.

But don't most sponsors have a wide array of products they promote? Not just a single item? Their business does not totally depend on one item in particular.

RangerXLT

Adventurer
Took me to an error page then a news article about warren buffet turning 84.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94