Is the Pro 4x Worth it?

Viggen

Just here...
For a dedicated overland vehicle engine mods reduce liability that can fail in the field. Not sure what you will use the vehicle for but for remote long overland adventures I would seriously think of keeping the engine stock as possible. If it were me I would buy the newest vehicle I can afford with adequate power and leave the engine stock. In your post above looks like you do more local stuff than long range overlanding.

Yeah, "overlanding" is a silly catch phrase to me. I like to wheel, fish, hike, and camp. No need to inflate what is really happening. I am not going to be driving around the world. I might take a drive to wheel someplace but thats about it. As for motor swaps, not too sure why people are so down on them. It is not like we live in remote Africa. Parts stores are everywhere. If I did a motor swap, the motor and transmission would be available in a factory configuration someplace. Like using a GM V8 with a GM automatic. Easy parts. I can understand when it is a GM motor, a Toyota trans, a Ford clutch, etc...

That being said, I am going to look at a '11 Pro-4X XTerra over the weekend. I pass by it daily, it is that nice burgundy red color and super clean. 28k miles on it and $21k. I am not going for the package but do want to see if the head unit, leather, etc... are worth the bit of extra money. The off road bits certainly are not, at least to me. That and I need an automatic. My wife has zero interest in learning to drive manual and I do not blame her. I do, however, want her to be able to drive this thing.

Here is a question about the gearing options: are they factory sourced? I ask because I checked Yukon and they only list Titan options. Who else offers gears for these?

Last edited:

skibum315

Explorer
Rugged Rocks and 4x4 Parts will both (re)sell gearsets - some are factory sourced, some developed just for re-sale (with Superior, before they had their issues; and now I think through Revolution), others adapted from the equivalent D44HD aftermarket sets ... but be aware of the axle differences by model. That'll effect what gears you can put in; the rear Titan gears that you saw through Yukon will fit the rear of the Xterras that have the same rear-end (Nissan m226, a bastardized D44HD), but not the ones that have the Nissan c200k, for example.

I think it was discussed above, but to re-hash ... all Pro4X models, and all manual trans models get the m226 ... all non-Pro4X auto trans models get the c200k. The front r180a IFS diff is a Nissan specific unit, and has a carrier split (3.54 and down, 3.69 and up), as does the c200k (if you start digging into it, you'll see some talk about 4.10 gears being available for the c200k, but not fitting ... this is due to the split, they can be installed if you're willing to run them with a spacer on the ring gear) ... the m226 does not have a carrier split.

Clear as mud?

Viggen

Just here...
Yup, makes sense. I think that that is one of the reasons why I need to get a P4X. I would like to have the stronger rear axle with more gear choices and the automatic.

steve c

Adventurer
Yup, makes sense. I think that that is one of the reasons why I need to get a P4X. I would like to have the stronger rear axle with more gear choices and the automatic.

Or the Off Road model pre about 2008. They changed the naming around. Pro4x = Off Road (Trim levels)

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Love mine!
264b160717a6cbbe32209d1d230cdb9c.jpg

kylevd23

Observer
For a dedicated overland vehicle engine mods reduce liability that can fail in the field. Not sure what you will use the vehicle for but for remote long overland adventures I would seriously think of keeping the engine stock as possible. If it were me I would buy the newest vehicle I can afford with adequate power and leave the engine stock. In your post above looks like you do more local stuff than long range overlanding.

1) Complexity is the enemy: Keep the vehicle as simple and reliable as possible, minimizing the number of systems and variables that can fail in the field. Adapt only as required for the vehicle to perform in the environments and conditions expected in your route, for example, 44″ tires on a vehicle used to cross a glacier. Consider the engineering performed by the OEM manufacturer, and how all of the factory systems interrelate. The vast majority of failures we see to 4wds are aftermarket modifications, and of those, electrical and engine system modifications are the most prone to failure.

http://expeditionportal.com/the-10-commandments-of-modifying-an-overland-vehicle/

chmura is right in regards to an overland/off road rig, when you do look at the xterra, it has plenty of power, unlike older vehicles, you lack in that area with your smaller 4/6 cyls vehicles unless you go v8. Plus the amenities and comfort is pretty much better in a newer vehicle as well as possible storage space. But either way you should choose what you see as your dream vehicle that fits the bill. Precisely why i chose my titan pro-4x, had the rear locker for when needed, had 10+ inches of ground clearance, factory tire size was 33", so I just upgraded to a better A/T then oem. Had factory skid plates, util track for tying down equipment, and with 5.6 power plant, can't complain about power. Plus the crew cab fit my family pretty well. But best of luck in your search, its always fun looking at what your options are, and every one on this forum has great ideas from their own personal experience, so just enjoy what you end up getting, and the faster you make a decision the faster you'll be able to start exploring.

kylevd23

Observer
Rugged Rocks and 4x4 Parts will both (re)sell gearsets - some are factory sourced, some developed just for re-sale (with Superior, before they had their issues; and now I think through Revolution), others adapted from the equivalent D44HD aftermarket sets ... but be aware of the axle differences by model. That'll effect what gears you can put in; the rear Titan gears that you saw through Yukon will fit the rear of the Xterras that have the same rear-end (Nissan m226, a bastardized D44HD), but not the ones that have the Nissan c200k, for example.

I think it was discussed above, but to re-hash ... all Pro4X models, and all manual trans models get the m226 ... all non-Pro4X auto trans models get the c200k. The front r180a IFS diff is a Nissan specific unit, and has a carrier split (3.54 and down, 3.69 and up), as does the c200k (if you start digging into it, you'll see some talk about 4.10 gears being available for the c200k, but not fitting ... this is due to the split, they can be installed if you're willing to run them with a spacer on the ring gear) ... the m226 does not have a carrier split.

Clear as mud?

Definitely a plus on those two sites. As far as Rugged Rocks, definitely give them a call on the items you are interested, people have given them bad ratings in the past on ordering stuff like on ebay, but fail to read that some items are made to order, so there is a wait period plus depending on work load. But if you call, they can give you good detail on items as well as estimated times.

All-Terrain

No Road Required
Has anyone bought a brand new Frontier Pro-4X recently?

Curious what price range they're selling for these days - invoice, MSRP, above or below, etc?

Longrange308

Adventurer
Articulation with the Nissan is plenty for me. I have an AAL in the rear and Bilstein 5100's all around with no front sway bar.

https://youtu.be/XQgdeMAZrqk

As a side note, the Toyota Tundra that can be seen in the background struggled for around 10 minutes trying to get up the stair stepper. So much for better articulation being the end all/be all of what makes a rig good for wheeling...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior