Is the Pro 4x Worth it?

Viggen

Just here...
Was looking for a 4th gen 4Runner but the mileage vs. price vs. what you get just does not really pan out. I spent some time in an XTerra and I can get newer, lower mileage, and better options for less money. Trade offs are that it cannot match the ride/ rear flex of the 4th gen, or the space but that is because it is physically smaller. Perusing the classifieds (not here), and there are a couple of Pro 4x trucks available. Is this package worth it? Locking rear is nice but does it come with something that the other option packages do not? Transfer cases different? If I pick one up, the first step would be a suspension kit so the Bilsteins really are not a selling point, unless they can handle longer/ heavier springs.

GR8ADV

Explorer
You have been around long enough to know what you do and how you do it. Plug the nissan into your last two years of trips and see how it would have done. Most likely perfect. Realize that for 90% of us, 90% of this is hobby over function. So get the one you will feel most jazzed about getting in and driving around.

Viggen

Just here...
You have been around long enough to know what you do and how you do it. Plug the nissan into your last two years of trips and see how it would have done. Most likely perfect. Realize that for 90% of us, 90% of this is hobby over function. So get the one you will feel most jazzed about getting in and driving around.

I realize all of that. It is a nice truck and I wheeled with a buddy of mine a little over a year ago who had one. I was in my BJ60 and he in his X. The Pro 4x adds quite a bit to the price so I am trying to weigh whether it is worth it or not. If the majority of it is the suspension, that is not worth it as that would go, unless the Bilsteins can work with different springs. A selectable rear diff is nice but nothing I cannot add myself. Does it come with different skid plates? Is there a different low range transfer case than the regular?

fortel

Adventurer
Unless something has changed and I'm not aware of it, only the Pro4X models come with the Nissan skid plates. That said, the Pro4X factory skids are not nearly as robust as aftermarket armor so you might possibly want to change them out anyway.

tarditi

Explorer
No - there is nothing fundamentally different about the Pro-4x. Locker, gears, shocks, roof lights, and a few other minor things.
If you want something right out of the showroom to do it, the package is a nice offering, and really a good value compared to other makes/models.
It's not like the Jeep Rubicon, though, where there are a lot of heavy-duty parts for that model alone.

Since you know what you want to do with it, you can certainly get a less expensive base model and build it up how you like.

Personally, I have an Xterra S model and it's suitable, but now it's time for a new ride and I'm going to get a new Pro-4x just because it's got a lot of bang for the buck.

Viggen

Just here...
No - there is nothing fundamentally different about the Pro-4x. Locker, gears, shocks, roof lights, and a few other minor things.

Thats what I wanted to know. I thought that there might be a different transfer case but it seems that they are the same across the line. On the used market, the Pro-4x models command at least $5k more than a mid line version. I would spend less than that on better tires than equipped, an ARB locker, and a suspension kit. I would want to get rid of the roof rack anyway so lamps up there would do me no good at all.

KiwiKurt

Explorer
i think its nicer just because of all the features you get with the pro4x. If you dont care about any of those, then just get a base model and add your lift and locker of choice.

I think the only hard parts that the pro4x gets over a base is the suspension, the locker, and its geared slightly lower at the final drive.

I would take an Xterra over a 4th gen 4runner without question. Its a better truck front to back...more power, more space, etc. I think the 5th gen 4runner is a better buy than the xterra, but I couldnt justify the 14k premium at the time for it.

Have you considered an FJ cruiser? If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a FJ or a used LR4...maybe a used 5th gen 4runner. Its the same size as the Xterra and a better performing truck off road, with *way* more aftermarket support.

The one thing the Nissan has over the Toyotas is the engine. The 4.0V6 is a great power plant. A tuner, intake manifold spacer, and a replacement of the ypipe in the exhaust nets even more power.

Last edited:

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I went down this road before buying my Xterra - and I decided against the Pro4x.

Upgraded suspension - I'm changing that anyways
Skid plates- there are better options
Gears - minimal difference
Rear locker - not worth extra $4k on its own. I will install an ARB for $1k instead

The Pro4x is mostly hype... especially if you are planning on modifying it beyond 1" lift and 32s.

And I may be in the minority here but I think the Pro4x wheels are seriously ugly. But I think the same thing about the FJ Cruiser "Trail teams" wheels that everyone loves. Ugly.

Viggen

Just here...
i think its nicer just because of all the features you get with the pro4x. If you dont care about any of those, then just get a base model and add your lift and locker of choice.

I think the only hard parts that the pro4x gets over a base is the suspension, the locker, and its geared slightly lower at the final drive.

I would take an Xterra over a 4th gen 4runner without question. Its a better truck front to back. I think the 5th gen 4runner is a better buy than the xterra, but I couldnt justify the 14k premium at the time for it.

Have you considered an FJ cruiser? If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a FJ.

The FJ Cruiser is a terrible vehicle. Blind spots, sitting 6 feet away from the tiny windshield, impossible to easily get into and out of the rear seat (even more with a child seat), and it is the only vehicle that actually triggered my motion sickness while driving. The 5th generation 4Runner is WAY overpriced. Not to mention that Predator front end does nothing for me at all.

It sounds like a mid level XTerra would be what I should be looking for. I would ditch the suspension. The locker is nice but not anything I could not do myself. The BFG tires are not amazing/ worth the additional cost. The lamps are a bit gimmicky. Gearing would be an issue I would have to solve as I go with bigger tires.

Sangster

Adventurer
the M226 rear axle on the Pro-4x is beefier (same axle as the Titan just narrower) than the C200 in the non-Pro4x.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
That may be true but the C200 is quite strong in it's own right. I have not heard of many broken C200s... however I have heard of a lot of broken OEM lockers in the M226?

Strizzo

Explorer
That may be true but the C200 is quite strong in it's own right. I have not heard of many broken C200s... however I have heard of a lot of broken OEM lockers in the M226?

the early models had issues just about across the board, but the r180 in particular but also the c200 got a bad rap since it was on the lower packages and the Off Road/Pro-4x got the M226. The early (i think its pre-09) M226 only had two spider gears in the diff which didn't like being shock loaded. They were fine with the diff open, but when the locker was engaged and the passenger side (iirc) wheel dropped off a rock or ledge and the weight of the truck was bounced on it, the spiders couldn't handle it. the newer ones have 4 spiders in them and are tougher. even still, the failure was not that common since you'd have to be doing some fairly serious rock crawling and have the diff locked to cause the damage.

Viggen

Just here...
Isnt the rear of the Pro 4x a Dana 44, and again only if its a manual transmission? If it is a carrier issue, wouldnt throwing an ARB inside solve that problem?

steve c

Adventurer
The NewX is a great resource for 2nd gen xterras.

I bought a 2012 S model and am very happy with it. I'll end up with a locker eventually.

Pro4x's can come with leather and a manual transmission if that is something you're interested in.
They also have hill descent control, whatever that does.

Another thing to know, just an fyi, is that the models changed in 2008 or 2009. (I can't remember off the top of my head) They got a new face and some interior changes.
I'm not sure what year range you're looking for.

Another FYI in the suspension department, titan components mount right up to the front end of the X. Suspension and front diff. Do a search for "titan swap" and you'll come up ith some fun reading.

Here's mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94