Mercedes 1124 Crew cab

jostein

Adventurer
I agree regarding insulation, that and the fact it is practical with a comfortable seating area in front also when driving and stoping during day, makes me think that using the area for seating rather than beds are better.

A vario chassis and cab compared to that of the 1124 should have the same challenges regarding integration, but the forces in action will be higher the larger the truck is.

Last edited:

Toby2

Observer
Anybody have any experience of having chassis extended in the middle ie cut and space out rather than just adding to the end. Would be good to get an extra half meter and couple of companies seem to advertise doing it but not sure how bright an idea it is.

Ullie

Adventurer
No, in Belgium this is not allowed without the approval from the constructor and even than....

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
In the UK it is common and legal. Many tractor units get turned into rigid or drawbar trucks this way. The cost is not high but if you only want an extra 50cm, it seems a little extravegant.

canals1164

Observer
Whilst it can be done seeing the twist in our chassis when we were checking clearances for camper sub frame I am not sure I would. We have done it on agricultural trailers using an internal brace as well as the weld, but I would worry that the joint may fail during lots of off road driving.IMG_0427.jpg

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
The Mercedes "Bodybuilder" manual will almost certainly have instructions on how to extend the chassis. I know there are detailed drawing and instructions in the Vario manual

Toby2

Observer
Hi, any idea on where I find an operator's manual for the 1124. Presuming somewhere on web but haven't tracked one down so far. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz