Another tire question

RangeBrover

Explorer
I agree.
Spacers are also non-compliant with current DOT regs and reputable tire shops won't mount a tire if you have spacers.
Wheels are just too cheap these days to justify spacers. Especially when your talking about saving steelies that are too narrow anyhow. Go lighter, go stronger, get new wheels and solve all your problems at once.

While I agree that DOT regs state that wheel spacers are prohibited, I don't necessarily believe that they are unsafe. Plenty of people have run them with little issue, and the ones that do have failures are 99% from improper install.

Wheels are cheap, but not as cheap as wheel spacers. I doubt any tire shop will give you a hard time, our Toyota dealer services our trucks and they have never denied us service because of them. Even the local Jeep dealer doesn't beat us up, and they're worse than Toyota.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Discount Tire won't touch spacers --- they're my go-to tire dealer.

I'm a safety guy. I do safety as part of my job ---- you can't separate me from certain aspects of it.
And for the life of me I can't see a benefit of introducing another failure point to an already critical area of a vehicle that's under dynamic load.
Beadlocks? Sure --- there's a benefit to the added mechanical complexity and potential failure points.
But spacers? On steelies of all things?

RangeBrover

Explorer
Discount Tire won't touch spacers --- they're my go-to tire dealer.

I'm a safety guy. I do safety as part of my job ---- you can't separate me from certain aspects of it.
And for the life of me I can't see a benefit of introducing another failure point to an already critical area of a vehicle that's under dynamic load.
Beadlocks? Sure --- there's a benefit to the added mechanical complexity and potential failure points.
But spacers? On steelies of all things?

While it is technically another failure point, I can't really agree with the argument. We add so many modifications to vehicles that introduce more "failure points." We've got guys modifying factory wiring to run lights, winches, and refrigerators (can you say fire hazard). We even have plenty of people on here that have far exceeded the GVWR of their Jeep JK's by just adding bumpers, gear, and passengers.

Pointing out spacers of all things seems pretty minor, installed right they do their job, installed incorrectly they fail. Seems pretty straight forward to me, I'm not arguing that they are 100% safe for a rig, but like any tool, utilized correctly it'll serve its purpose.

rrliljedahl

Observer
To all
Thanks for the discussion.

I took some pics today of the rim and how I measured the backspace which appears to be about 5.25 if I did it correctly.
image.jpg
image.jpg

11 2106.1.5.K 4 16x7.0 J L DOT USA is stamped on the inside of the rim.
image.jpg
Would someone please decipher this for me?

It appears to me that this is a 16 inch wheel 7 inches wide.

Is the weight limit on the wheel 1.5 KG or 3300 lbs?

Thanks again.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
What are the potential problems when using a 7 inch rim with a tire designed for a 8-10 inch rim?

Short of buying new rims, is there a solution for the tire rubbing on the sway bar when turning sharply such as adding a spacer?

7" is fine on 295/70 r17. Your 315's would likely be fine on a 7.5" wide wheel. Don't go wider than 8". Usually a thinner wheel will be way better offroad. But may be wishy washy onroad. A little loose in a 100' slalom for example. That's why the tire manufacturers recommend wider wheels before they're truely needed, especially on E rated tires capable of hauling and towing. It's a safety/liability concern.

Remove the front sway bar.:coffeedrink:

RangeBrover

Explorer
7" is fine on 295/70 r17. Your 315's would likely be fine on a 7.5" wide wheel. Don't go wider than 8". Usually a thinner wheel will be way better offroad. But may be wishy washy onroad. A little loose in a 100' slalom for example. That's why the tire manufacturers recommend wider wheels before they're truely needed, especially on E rated tires capable of hauling and towing. It's a safety/liability concern.

Remove the front sway bar.:coffeedrink:

I got 99 problems but a sway bar ain't one.

1stDeuce

Explorer
To all
Thanks for the discussion.

I took some pics today of the rim and how I measured the backspace which appears to be about 5.25 if I did it correctly.
View attachment 258635

11 2106.1.5.K 4 16x7.0 J L DOT USA is stamped on the inside of the rim.
View attachment 258636
Would someone please decipher this for me?

It appears to me that this is a 16 inch wheel 7 inches wide.

Is the weight limit on the wheel 1.5 KG or 3300 lbs?

Thanks again.

Indeed, you do have a 16x7 wheel. That stinks, because I bought a spare wheel from a JY that was supposed to be for a Chevy 2500 of 2005 era, and it is marked 07 08 02 3 K 4 16x 6.5... I see that as a date, followed by perhaps a load rating, and the size. Mine measures 4.88" of backspace by your method. (Acutally, backspace is supposed to be measured from the bead seating surface, so probably more like 4.5" on my wheel.)
Now that I'm looking, my wheel has smaller openings around the spokes too. Wonder what the heck it's off... a 2wd truck perhaps??

Either way, it's a trailer spare, so the size of my wheel works for me, it's just not the wheel I thought it was. :)

<edit: It turns out they sold me a wheel off an Express van. So van wheels are .5" narrower, and closer to 4.5" of backspacing. If you were running a tall/skinny, they would work to give you the clearance you need, but because they're another .5" narrower than what you've got, probably not a good idea. But GREAT for trailers!! :)

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
18&quot;??

Can you mount current production 18x8" factory rims? I mount Nitto Terra Grappler LT295/70x18E tires, rated at 4,000 lb. With your cut outs, you should have room. They make a Trail Grapper if you want a mud tread; same weight rating.

incognito

Adventurer
Hy,

first sway bar is good on highway and not very good for offroad unless you have quick disconnect sway bar kit like the jeeps or like I do
the weak link are the tires when loading with a camper.just put for sale a 245 19.5 16 ply tires for gmc and dodge for 1200$ NEW accuride wheels and new bridgestone m726 tires less than 1000 kms
hope this help
incognito
http://globalcamper.blogspot.ca/p/4x4-dodge-ram-camper.html

rrliljedahl

Observer
I wound up purchasing these wheels

image.jpg
American Racing AX186 Slot,
16x8
8 on 6.5 Bolt Pattern
Satin Black with Diamond Cut Face and Clear Coat
4.5 inch offset
3600 pounds

No more rubbing on my sway bar!!

I did have to trim more plastic from the wheel well liner to get everything to fit.

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I wound up purchasing these wheels

View attachment 267562
American Racing AX186 Slot,
16x8
8 on 6.5 Bolt Pattern
Satin Black with Diamond Cut Face and Clear Coat
4.5 inch offset
3600 pounds

No more rubbing on my sway bar!!

I did have to trim more plastic from the wheel well liner to get everything to fit.

Thanks for all the advice.
Nice.

How's the camper coming along? What brand?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles