Truck Topper/Cap Lift for camping

weavil

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 currently awaiting it's ARE Z series topper. I plan on building a sleeping platform with storage. I'm interest in having more headroom on long camping trips. I'm looking for some ideas for a truck cap/topper lift. I like the EZ Topper Lift (http://www.topperezlift.com/), but it's fairly pricey and a bit more permanent than I need. I would only have the topper lifted while parked and looking for 1.5-2ft of lift for the topper. Any alternate products available? Or possible ideas of building a lift and integrating into the sleeping platform?

Thanks

Texan1983

Adventurer
I would like to know as well

Never heard of that ez lift system, going to have to seriously look into that, seems pretty cool!

Fundy Rider

A great idea but by the time you pay for your shell with the lift camping walls and something to sleep on your very close to the price of a Flippac.

I keep going back and forth from a commercial cap with the straight walls to a Flippac hoping by the time I have gone through my 94 toy extra cab there may be more options out there at a reasonable price to help with my build.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I love my camper shell and do wish it had more head room sometimes. I think for a work truck this idea would work well. For camping in the back (overlanding) I'd rather just stick with what I got unless I somehow get the money for a Flippac. I'm wondering how weather tight this set up is if I were to be hiding out from a storm.

Texan1983

Adventurer
im in the same boat. already have the topper, and the sleeping platform so to add this makes sense. as for weather tight it looks ok. if wind and weather got extreme I would crank the system down and shut the window/tailgate... that's half the reason I switched to truck camping, storms in a tent kinda got old.

Yea the system is up there in price and if I was starting from scratch I would consider the flip pack, but I already have a pretty well established setup that this would make even more livable...

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Yeah I agree about the flip pack but I can see where the guys that already have this regular topper set up would benefit from this. It got my head gears turning cause I like to take my ATV to Durham town and this will let me do that to. Very nice I think. Just use a tarp for a type of rain fly in bad weather.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Hinge the camper off of one side. reinforce the back door area with an internal metal frame. Add some canvas. $200 and now you have a nice stealth camper.

TeamWild

Observer
Boy this gets me thinking. Wouldn't a pop top on a vehicle like a sportsmobile be nice on a truck topper. Not a flippac where it flips over but just a pop up on your topper. Hummm I bet a topper company could produce this fairly easily and add it as an option. Do this also with the topper with the rear door option and you have yourself a nice little camper.

mike the welder

Adventurer
Around 1k is not that bad really. If you built this system from scratch by the time you sourced the actuators made all the brackets and wiring harness you would have $600-$800 plus into it. I looked into actuators for a pop up trailer and they can run $100 to $200 each depending on the travel and weight rating. This is a bolt on kit that could be installed in a couple of hours. All the hard work is done.

PHeller

Adventurer
What about making something that didn't lift the top on its own? Something that you could lift while inside and it would lock into place?

_MG_1717_zps2b4f907d%2B%281%29.jpg

Box Rocket "Telescoping rack is built from 1.5" square "recievers" on the sides of the tub with 1.25" legs that slide into the receivers. Platform is 1x2" rectangular tube. Each receiver tube has a spring loaded pop pin and there is a 50lb gas strut at each corner to aid in lifting the tent/rack.

I'm using 1/8" wall for the lower pieces.
"

You could use 14 Gauge with an ID of 1.334 on the lower tubes for a little more slack and less binding.

Lift strut from here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#9416k18/=y1enbz

_MG_1708_zpsd13d496e.jpg

Discussion in this post: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/23624-Box-Rocket-Homemade-trailer-build/page21

If someone wants to help me build one of these for a Tacoma I'd gladly pay for supplies.

Last edited:

TwinStick

Explorer
I can't help but wonder what would happen if a storm rolled in with 50 mph winds & the topper was in the up position ?

I am currently waiting on an ARE cap myself. I am getting the MX series. Solid windoors on both sides, solid panel in rear as well. Security reasons. Yakima roof rack, drivers side toolbox, no toolbox on pass side. LED rope lighting in toolbox & back, also the dome light, carpeted interrior, clothes hanger holder, fishing pole holders & power block. My plans are to be able to use it in conjunction with our new smaller camper, yet still be able to use it solo with maybe a RTT when i am flying solo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94