1998 Toyota Land Cruiser 57K

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Seems a bit high for the year but if it really has less than 100k on the odo then that might be a good deal.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Odo fraud is becoming a huge issue. Be warned!!!! Even in 2004 all toyota dealers could give me full history on my 93 LC.. Do a vin check with your local dealer to make sure the #'s are right.

ulySSes

Observer
Odo fraud is becoming a huge issue. Be warned!!!! Even in 2004 all toyota dealers could give me full history on my 93 LC.. Do a vin check with your local dealer to make sure the #'s are right.

Good info on checking the vin with a dealer. Never thought of that or even knew they could do that?

Also my pop taught me when looking at a car with abnormally low miles always look at the pedals, usually the gas and brake pedals will either be brand new or could show more wear than a 58k miler truck :)

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Good info on checking the vin with a dealer. Never thought of that or even knew they could do that?

Example -- call the service desk mid day not during the morning rush or end of day rush. Me - quick vin / service history check -service rep fire away. Vin details pulled, me whats your last record showing regarding date and mileage? -service rep texas dealer did at fluid change at 100k 6 months ago. Your seller is claiming 57k on the odo.. see how that works??? Better than car fax.

Second suggestion. If the seller claims all dealer serviced tell them to call the dealer and have the dealer fax them the service history, it wont have owner details on it and seller can give it to the buyer. My current truck came with 10 pages of toyota dealer faxed service notes and parts that were replaced by the dealer. Even shows the wife was the primary user given she took it in a few times to complain about throttle surging when AC was on ;-)...

Last edited:

Guambomb

Adventurer
Is this the same one?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/4806144766.html

I've been eyeballing it. Just unsure of the asking price and I'd like to hear some opinions on it.

Easiest way to verify dealer related service on any Toyota without driving to or calling a dealer:

1. Get the Vin #
2. Join www.toyota.com/owners (it's free)
3. Add the Vin # to My Vehicle(s)

You can then view what dealer services were done and at what mileage. This can give you a good idea of possible odometer fraud. I use this method all the time (along with Carfax) when eyeballing possible Toyota purchases. Keep in mind that it MAY not show 100% of services performed. Good luck.

ulySSes

Observer
A million thanks everybody. Now just waiting on a settlement from my totaled Tacoma.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

TheSweatyButcher

Adventurer
I get a crack out of seeing older vehicles without the 100,000 dial on the odo being sold as low miles with a reported 30,000 miles and the drivers seat is ripped to shreds.

taylor3633

Observer
This is great info; thanks Guam!

Easiest way to verify dealer related service on any Toyota without driving to or calling a dealer:

1. Get the Vin #
2. Join www.toyota.com/owners (it's free)
3. Add the Vin # to My Vehicle(s)

You can then view what dealer services were done and at what mileage. This can give you a good idea of possible odometer fraud. I use this method all the time (along with Carfax) when eyeballing possible Toyota purchases. Keep in mind that it MAY not show 100% of services performed. Good luck.

Guambomb

Adventurer
Still available

This is great info; thanks Guam!

Glad to help.

I'm pretty sure it's gone.

It's on eBay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Land...c93bf1c2e&item=191457336366&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

I would check Carfax or Autocheck for further info but here is what's available on toyota.com/owners

DATE
SERVICE TYPE
SERVICE PROVIDER
MILEAGE
DESCRIPTION
11/22/2014 Dealer TOYOTA OF ROCKWALL 57,082
Repair Order Number: 0171808

CONVENTIONAL LOF, *ROTATE TIRES, MULTI POINT INSPECT
09/18/2014 Dealer TOYOTA OF RICHARDSON 53,864
Repair Order Number: 0883267

CHANGE OIL AND FILTER USING 5W30
09/19/2013 Dealer BIGHORN TOYOTA 52,706
Repair Order Number: 0115979

REPLACE TIMING BELT 8, CYLINDER ENGINE, REPLACED WATERPUMP, IDLERS, TENSIONER AND SERP, REPLACED FRONT REAR AND TRANSFER FLIUIDS, DRAIN AND FILL AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, REPLACED LEFT, 5,000 MILE SERVICE, (LUBE, OIL, & FILTER. TIRE ROTATION. MULTI-POINT INSPECTION), KEYS CASES AND BATTERYS, MACHINE ROTORS WITHOUT PAD R&R, NO DAMAGE, TIRES NEEDS REPLACED, GAVE ESTIMATE TO CUSTOMER
02/12/2013 Dealer BIGHORN TOYOTA 47,832
Repair Order Number: 0108768

5,000 MILE SERVICE, FOUND DRIVETRAIN FLUIDS DARK. WATER PUMP STARTING TO LEAK. DRIVE BELT STARTING T, UNCLOGGED WASHER NOZZLE, MAY NEED TO BE REPLACED., INSTALLED HITCH COVER., FOUND EXHAUST HEAT SHIELDS RATTLING. REPLACED BOLTS WITH NEW WASHERS., REPLACED HEADLIGHT BULBS., INSTALLED OLD INTERNALS INTO NEW CASE., LUUBED HINGES.
05/14/2007 Dealer STEVINSON TOYOTA WEST AND SCION 38,536
Repair Order Number: 0530632

* PERFORM 5000 MILE BASE SERVICE, RESET MAINTENANCE LIGHT, REINITIALIZE TIRE PRE, * SUBLET FOR REPAIRS, * MISC MAINTENANCE

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke