New Mexico Landies

jerdog53

Explorer
I could probably do this, I'm not far from New Mexico and have been to Madrid and use to live in Albuquerque!

axels

Adventurer
I should be back in the area this afternoon to check out a couple more trails. The ground should be dry ;)
Actually I'm going to head there tomorrow (Sunday) if someone wants to meet up.

Last edited:

Sleam

Explorer
2014-11-25 15.13.02.jpg

Did I mention I'm in an old 72 Series III? What do you drive? Anyone else coming with an older Land Rover?

Sleam

Explorer
SAT FEB 28TH - SUN FEB 29TH Rover Weekend in Madrid - the details!

Rover Weekend In Madrid: Sat Feb 28th - Sunday 29th.
Basic outline for those who want to sign up.
Cost of $25 to cover museum/ a drink and dinner for 2 local guides/ porta-potty and clean up at campsite, maps etc. Pack it in. Pack it out. Dress warmly as weather is unpredictable to say the least. Book early if you stay in a local BnB.
Saturday 28th: Noon at the Mine Shaft: Meet and greet with some food and a warm fire!
Museum Tour to introduce you to the mining history, know what to look for in those hills, get maps and check over vehicles.
2pm Drive time, start at the cemetery. Photo op! Easy route for older shyer drivers/ vehicles (like me that is). More challenging route for the fearless and brave. Off we go.
Later afternoon, set up camp at mine or settle in to your BnB in Madrid, unwind for a few hours.
7pm Dinner and debriefing (story time) at the Shaft.
Sunday 10am Java Junction Cafe for coffee and burritos.
Drive back into those pesky dirt roads, again two kinds of routes, some with history, some with driving challenges, and both groups meet at Galisteo Dam for a bring-your-own-picnic! Dress warmly!
Mid-afternoon: Debrief, early dinner at the Shaft. Plan next trip!

2014-12-08 12.17.30.jpg

Sleam

Explorer
Thanks for the private messages. We have six vehicles lined up so far! Form Madrid, Santa Fe, Glorieta mesa, Alb, Las Cruces and even Denver. I'm impressed! Let me know if you have any questions or want to join us. Take care, s

Sleam

Explorer
February Rover Rambling Update!

Hey chaps, Who's coming out to Madrid for the last weekend? I'm finalising plans for where and what we'll do when you're here. Back roads, most I know and some I haven't driven because I'm a chicken **** on my own, but I'll point you up wards and be your back up! There is a scattering of homes out on these back roads, with short cuts deemed inpassable but Axels drove through one last month with a bit of an adrenelin rush. It's going to be a mix of Landies and some other 4x4s coming along with us, just because! Feb weather is unpredictable, either freezing or windy but rarely snowing so the dirt tracks will be okay as far as that goes.
Meeting up Saturday morning for coffee in Madrid, get maps, divide up into the two driving styles, and head on out. Dinner at the Mine Shaft. More the next day if you want to!

Let me know here or pm me okay? Thanks folks, this'll be fun.
DSC00882.jpg

axels

Adventurer
I'm still in. Driving up from ABQ as you know. Probably will head back at night and come back on Sunday morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke