Can an Engel MT45U be repaired?

DaVikes

Adventurer
I found an Engel MT45U at my local pawnshop. It runs, and the compressor sounds normal, but it doesn't cool. Does anyone know if it can be recharged? They are asking $150, which is too good a price to ignore. And, if they are repairable, I'll see if I can talk them down.

Thanks,

Ross

UPDATE: So I finally got ahold of a service tech at Engel in Florida today. Given the symptoms, the tech thought that the refrigerant had somehow leaked out, and there are a variety of ways that could happen. The system is supposed to be sealed, and they do not recommend trying to recharge it. The entire cooling system, including the compressor on through to the cooling plate is replaceable as a unit. It costs $360, and is replaceable by someone handy. That's actually not too bad, but now that is on top of the purchase price, shipping, and there is still some risk of it not working after all that. So I think I'm going to pass.

Last edited:

DaVikes

Adventurer
Tomorrow I'll call and ask for the service department. I called today and asked for a list of dealers in Denver. They sent me a list, but they are not sure anyone on the list actually services their product. The first dealer on the list did not know who they are. Tomorrow I'll work my way down the list, but I've got to get at least a little work done today.

Westy

Adventurer
I would pick it up for that price, surely it will be able to be fixed. Worst case, send it to Engel, they arent that $$ to ship and get it fixed right!

DaVikes

Adventurer
I have a part on order, that should arrive in a few days. After Christmas I'll get a chance to try out the part. Did you order an Indel B?

DaVikes

Adventurer
The pawnshop Engle lives! I replaced two major components. First the power supply, then the cooling unit, which includes the compressor, coils, and cooling plate that is inside the cooler box. Now I have about $700 into it, but it's basically new, and I have the transit cover.

Along the way I developed a very favorable impression of Engel-USA, the distributor in Florida. You can get them on the phone. Paul, the owner, is also a technician, and understands the units thoroughly. When you order parts, they have them in stock, they ship promptly, and the shipping is basically at their cost - they don't appear to mark it up.

They also did something that went past the call of duty when it comes to customer service, especially considering that I didn't buy the unit from them, or one of their retailers. During my first conversation with Paul, he thought that the power supply might be the problem, but he wasn't sure, as the symptoms the unit presented were unusual (and he was getting them from me over the phone). So he offered to sell me the power supply, and if it turned out the cooling unit also needed to be replaced, he gave me the option of returning the power supply, if I decided I didn't want to make the additional investment. Seriously. I was rather surprised. I ended up deciding to keep the power supply an I bought the cooling unit a few months later, and everything works like new now.

For future reference, the cooling unit and the power supply are the two most expensive components. Paul said it was very rare that both fail. The only other replaceable cooling system parts are the thermostat, and a small fan. I think the unit either got struck by lightning, or the prior owner somehow provided the wrong voltage to the unit. It had not been used much. Also, Paul can advise on how to troubleshoot the unit by taking voltage or amperage measurements in a couple different places.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz